Home U.S. Coin Forum

This ebay sale should be a crime

Comments

• It does prey on the naive collector but, it does state that this is a "TYPE" 100 mil coin! Oh well! some buyer will be surprised.image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    It's ok because the coin comes "From a smoke/pet free home"
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    This is an example of the biggest failing with ebay - they allow repros to be listed in the same category as actual coins.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The words are correct....have to be illiterate not to know it is a copy??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Reported. Thanks for the heads-up. Most importantly the seller never indicates that the word "COPY" is on the coin as required by law -- nor can it be seen from the picture -- even after he/she clarified three days into the auction.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    I grew up 5 miles from that guy! Perhaps a call to the Woodbridge Township Police Department might help.

But then again he does state its a copy and if you notice the bidding, only after he posts his revision does it start to take off in price.

My guess - shill bidding for the next auction when no one is looking.

Michael

• << <i>My guess - shill bidding for the next auction when no one is looking. >>

Hi,
    look at the bid history. Seem normal?

Best,
    Billy

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be very clear what he is selling, but the story makes it deceiving and the starting bid of $99 is way outta line.

If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't understand these details. 100 mil clad etc.

Rookie Joe

• Sounds like he copied the same BS they say on the TV commercial, I would like to know what PURE silver clad is as that seems like a contradiction in terms to me. Kinda of like saying it is a 100% round square. image
  • OMG Colonia NJ is part of the township where I live. image
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This auction looks okay to me. What I don't understand is why anyone would pay $255 or more for an item such as this.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭

<< <i>OMG Colonia NJ is part of the township where I live. >>

Where do you live? I grew up in Port Reading and graduated from WHS. SarasotaFrank is also a WHS alum. How strange to have 3 people from the same town on these Boards.

Michael
  • "Minted by the National Collector's Mint." (Knock-off)

"User ID kept private" (embarrassed cause they got more money than sense?)
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • I see no problem with this whatsoever.
    Whoever paid for that is obviously not a collector who does his research.
    So the seller did not say "copy" - so what!
    He clearly tells all about the "real" Morgan CC dollars and then talks about this one being from the National Collector Mint.
    People are stupid and I do not feel sorry for them in these situations.
  • The SOB keeps bidders private to keep people like us from contacting the bidders to warn them that they are being scammed. This crap makes me ill. image
  • I suspect that no one has really bid on the coin.
    he has had shills do all the bidding and is trying to suck in a "victim" to buy it.
    The shill bid retractions are a nice touch.
    Some of these buyers, just do not read or do not understand what it is they read.
    By having his Morgan history story first he gets the suckers who don't read past the first sentence or two.

• UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭
    People are stupid and I do not feel sorry for them in these situations

Let's say ignorant.

I think kranky hit on it earlier. I agree that non-US coins should NOT be allowed to be listed under the US Coins heading. It helps create the confusion for the uninitiated.

Joe.
  • I live in Iselin on the "East" side (E. Warren, E. Arthur, E. Iselin Pkwy, etc) and I went to Colonia High school.

PM me with the name of the guy. I might know him, too.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a frequent topic of posts. It again reveals just how blind collectors can become when they think they are going to get a deal. Morgan dollar collectors seem especially prone to this. There are NO bargains in US coins. The market is too large and well developed.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • "National Collector's Mint" that should tell you everythingimage
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe my retraction will help!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
    Well that stinks....when I went to retract bid...I was not able to add my own comment that it was a copy....only had a drop down menu of three choices....oh well not much help, but I tried....

Another think I discovered today is that ebay has set a limit to how many emails to members you can send...I sent about 10 today and discovered this when they told me mail could not be sent I have exceeded my daily limit....

who's side is ebay on.....
  • When I see something like this I always look at the sellers other items. Check them out!

Dr J
    a bunch of STUFF..not all coins....but his feedback is pretty good....dont think he is a scammer just puffing the coin.....
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a bunch of STUFF..not all coins....but his feedback is pretty good....dont think he is a scammer just puffing the coin..... >>

I suspect he just lifted all the misleading NCM marketing crap and pasted it into his auction. I'm not sure his intend is to defraud, but his choice of marketing material is questionable, and there's enough deception in it -- and it's not a real coin -- that it shouldn't be selling in this category.
  • Ya never know, he may be selling it to someone else the way it was sold to him. image
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file