Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1991 Topps Desert Storm cards

Anyone submitted alot of these? Any fairly common problems with them?

I havent seen very many 10s and in some cases seen 8's go pretty high. I know these are somewhat limited but are they really 'that' tough in high grades?
Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
http://www.clark22murray33.com

Comments

• Options
    I have submitted only one, Jose Canseco. It came back a 9. Although I must admit it's a very high 9, close to 10.

The problem with these cards is forgery. Many cards are fake. You need to take a close look at the embossed logo. Most fakes have a deep gold color and thick lettering. I suggest buying them already graded to assure you are getting the real thing. That is unless, you got them yourself while deployed.

Aside from that, real cards are prone to centering issues and corner wear. They were handled more than most cards, making the arduous trip both to and from the Gulf, during a war. Plus to my knowledge, they were not available in set form, only packs. That would increase the possbility for damage.

Kevin image
  • Options
    One more thing to add..you mentioned "Desert Storm" cards...

Topps also made a non-sport Desert Storm card set. These were first distributed only in pack form, then mass produced in sets. In the beginning the value was very high ($50-$75 set) then quickly dropped to almost nothing. They feature war scenes and pictures of various military and political figures, to include Powell, our current VP, and Daddy Bush. The cards to find are the brown (opposed to yellow) logo cards, they are considered 1st prints and are somewhat rare. I have several variations of each.

Kevin
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Kevin,

I have a couple of unopened boxes of the Desert Storm cards. Is there any market for them? Should I open them? Keep them sealed? I forgot that I even had them until I read this thread.

Thanks.

JEB.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    jeb rip um and send the 2 ryans to me.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>jeb rip um and send the 2 ryans to me. >>

Sorry, this is the non-sport Desert Storm version that Kevin is referring to, not the Topps baseball parallel set, Desert Shield.

JEB.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    serves me right for only reading that you had two boxes?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Jeb,

Unfortunately Daddy Bush (or is he your father? LOL) admired his card and this set so much that he shipped 2 boxes to every American in an effort to get re-elected. Well, that didn't work so he sold a box to every person on this earth so he could buy his son's Presidency. They really were over produced.

Unless they are the brown logo variation, there is really is no market for them....even then there isn't much of a demand...sorry.

I wonder if I scanned the Powell card if that would be considered Colin-oscopy?

Kevin
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>Jeb,

Unfortunately Daddy Bush (or is he your father? LOL) ... >>

Ha! No, he's only the governor of my state (Florida - in case anyone wondered).

Thanks for the info. I'll keep the boxes in tact for the time being, although I'd like to see some of the cards.

JEB.
  • Options
    I could use a PSA graded Dale Murphy if anyone has one they are willing to part with...PM me..
    thanks
    Steve

Always looking for signed Cowboys items from the 'Landry years'
  • Options
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    THey are very hard to find in mint shape. I have bought 10 or so raw copies not one worthy on a solid 9. I found one at a card show the dealer wanted 75.00 for the Boggs raw. When they can be had for 2.00 to 10.00 on ebay.

James
    x
  • Options

<< <i>THey are very hard to find in mint shape. I have bought 10 or so raw copies not one worthy on a solid 9. I found one at a card show the dealer wanted 75.00 for the Boggs raw. When they can be had for 2.00 to 10.00 on ebay.

James >>

yeah, prices have come way down now due to Ebay. It makes them appear as more readily available than they actually are.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I've never seen a graded Trammell. Anyone have one?

Great info about the forgeries - I didn't know that.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    I'll have a couple in about 45 days.
  • Options
    Virtualizard,

Here are examples of both Desert Storm varieties, brown and yellow logos.

I think every man needs a well centered Colin.

Kevin
  • Options
    Here is the latest addition to the Iraq war cards.

This is the 2004 Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) card.

Kevin