Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I almost bought this "babeinwoods" story.

Grandpas Collection

Read this Ebay=I know nothing about these,all sales final=description. Now look at the picture closely.

Isn't that the greysheet behind the album?

Comments

• Options
    Nice spot on the grey sheet. image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I bet they were all nicely polished too.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually that lends more credibility to the Seller's story. Could be an older gray sheet that came with the Morgans. Also, a check of the Seller's feedback confirms no other coin sales (or, coins purchased) and the buyer of this Morgan set already left positive feedback for the Morgans.

(Not every auction on eBay is a fraud, although I suppose it does no harm to be extra cautious, only some opportunities are then lost.)

I recently purchased two raw partial sets on eBay. One set of Mercury dimes revealed a 1921 and a 1921-D dime, both FN15 to VF20, problem free. The full set was $130. and selling all but these two will almost provide these semi key dates for free.

Edited to add: This Morgan partial set sold looks like it was the real deal.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    "I TOOK THE COINS TO A COIN SHOP AND WAS TOLD THERE WERE NO RARE DATES IN THE BOOK AND THAT THE COINS WERE IN THE CORRECT HOLES. I WAS OFFERED 3 DOLLARS EACH..." Three bucks each? If that's true, it pretty much sucks. Especially as the dealer was acting as if all of these were commons. The 1894-S certainly isn't a common, and some of the others in choice AU or better would be fairly decent finds, too. Even if these coins were cleaned and whizzed and stuff, melt value is well over three bucks, and the 94-S at least would still have some numismatic value.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $660 for 45 pcs of junk....shame
    good catch coynclecter
    to bad you didnt warn the buyer
    however the buyer was happy...look at the feedback he left
    "coins arrived and i love them. thanks"
    just goes to show.....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Without better photos, there's no way to know if these are "junk" or not.

The seller could've obtained a price sheet in researching to see if dealer's offer was fair or not.

The seller's name "latinaballerina", feedback & date of membership, and lack of hyperbole/overhype lend some credibility to the seller's listing/story.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    This is even better!!!! I may have to bid on it after I receive a reply from her.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39471&item=3928568711
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    $3 each is below silver melt isn't it? And of course a dealer looking to score is going to say that there isn't anything valuable in there. The buyer may have gotten the deal of a lifetime for all we know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file