Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bi-metallic coins-can't get interested

I'm wondering if I'm a minority of one... I can't seem to get into bi-metallic coins of any kind. I can't figure a reason other than a gut reaction to their look which I just don't like.

I see other forum members enjoying this type of coin and I'm jealous!image

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    No, your not alone. They look beat up and bad from the time they are issued,, I won't be collecting anymore of themimage
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them. But I usually only collect the one's from circulation.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Please send them to me if you don't like them.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    On some coins I agree. But there are a few Russian wildlife coins that look nice. I also have a Argentina 1 peso error coin(K112.3) , that is a very attractive little coin. I will not be collecting them on a large scale, but will pickup a few interesting examples.

Steve
  • Options
    I have to disagree. I have worked my way through the 2 pound silver proof series from the UK and I think they improve significantly with the bi-metallic issues.

Dr J
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Not the best pics, but here's my latest addtion: imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same reaction to 'em, Laurent.

They just aren't that interesting to me.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I like 'em. The Canadian 2$ coin is fantastic.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Some can be quite interesting, I suppose (but those might be even more interesting as normal single-metal coins). But I can't get excited about them at all either.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Sorry Laurent but I like some --- like these:

Shep
  • Options
    I collect them also, so far I have about 60 to 70 .I have some doubles if anyone wants to trade .

Walt image
  • Options
    I like bi-mets as long as the golden alloy is on the outside.

The ones with the golden in the middle and the silver round the outside look far too much like a metallic egg. image
  • Options
    If you had one of these, I bet you would like it!image

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    So far I all I have really collected of these are from Canadaimage
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I find I don't much like the ones where the main design element crosses over from one metal to the next. The ones where the colors of the different metals are used as a design element in their own right I like.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Don't care much for them myself. Just don't like the look
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I like some of them. When I come across them they seem so modern, I do prefer coins with more history. The only ones I actively collect are Canadian $2 in proof-like.
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

I have one of the Austrian Mint's 100 Shilling "Millennium 2000" bi-metal coins. I bought it from a coin shop in Salzburg, Austria in May of 2000, a souvenir of our visit. It's bi-metal combining a silver outer ring with a center made of titanium, and it's the first legal tender coin issued by a major national mint to use titanium.

The Obverse shows a computer chip, which is at the heart of the communications revolution. The silver ring is inscribed "Republik Österreich - 100 Schilling." The titanium center on reverse has a view of the world struck into it with the legend "Millennium 2000" in digital script while various means of communications are depicted in the silver ring.
  • Options
    I like some of them.

ClausUrch I see you got the MS version I got the proof instead. I knew I should have bought an MS.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like just about all coins and the bimetallic issues are no exception. The circulating issues
    should become even more fascinating as they wear and age and the differences in how the
    different metals react to insults begin to show. The separate parts of these coins also make
    for the possibility of new and unprecedented errors such as the US coin struck on the outer
    rim of a Canadian twoonie.

Some of these have been extremely well executed.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Cladking, maybe I'm just a traditionalist...

The new designs upset my sense of aesthetics then; what used to be a cohesive, artistic whole is now a small coin with a large border wrapped around it. The different designs on the outside rim usually don't conform well with the inner ring design. So, I have a visual problem with these coins. And most of the strikes I see are very flat-not attractive at all.

I won't deny there are some attractive pieces being minted but as a whole, I'll leave 'em alone.

Edited to add: Oldshep, yours are some of the nicest I've seen.image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And most of the strikes I see are very flat-not attractive at all. >>

BINGO!!

My distaste for most European coinage of the last 50 years is the trend for the flat design elements.....they look like 3rd grade art executed with a 3-axis end mill........

Give us depth (6-axis) or give me death........

Personally, I'll take the great engravers of the 19th century. image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Look how worn this almost 200 hundred year old Sub alpine 5 franc is, yet how much rich detail is still left. Some of the new phlatstruk (sic-my euphemism) coins of today will be ugly, unidentifiable slugs of metal after mere years of circulation.

Look at todays Lincoln pennies-dead ugly and slimy within several years-I almost don't like to handle them.

imageimage

Edited for spelling
  • Options
    Very pretty franc, lauren.

I have a lot of bi-metallic twonies, and a bi-metallic Canadiian token. Also, some from the Caribbean. I like bi-metallics.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. . . yet how much rich detail is still left . . . >>

C'est une beauté classique!! image

How's my French? image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betcha could get into bimetallics like this...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Same as several people have stated, i just don't like modern coins...
  • Options
    Arrrghhhhhhhhhhh! Errors noooooooooooooooo.

They are worse than Clip Art State Quarters and spaghetti haired presidents put together... did i mention i hate errors? Well i do... sorry.

It seems everyone likes them but me, if error collecting was the only way i'd quit coins and move into books.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you had one of these, I bet you would like it!image

image >>

I like the gold and platinum bi-metallic kind! I do not have the US Library of Congress but I do have the Isle of Man Angel and Noble bi-metallic issues. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)