Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What's been the toughest card for you to find?

It's easy to find the star cards but there is always those few cards that seem impossible to locate....even raw. What's been your challenge?

Mine has been the 1962 Bell Brand Willie Davis. The card is relatively easy to find raw but to locate one in decent condition (raw or graded) has been difficult. Funny thing is, the Walt Alston card has eluded almost every collector with only 3 graded, PSA 5 being the highest...that card was easy.

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Any - 1966 OPC Mays #1.
    Centered - 1973 OPC #1 Aaron/Ruth
    Common - 1967 OPC #12
    High-end - 1966 Yaz Punchout Yaz, 1967 & 1968 Topps test Disc Yaz
    Searched for years, but finally found - 1960 Yaz Venezuelan
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Brace minor league postcards
    1985 O'Connell & Son Ink
    1985 Mets Police/Kiwanis

and of course- 1985 Mets Colla Postcard
  • Options
    1974 Topps #8 George Theodore in PSA 8 or higher. Man, what a pain in the neck card. By the time I got it I was willing to pay almost anything just to complete the set. There are lower pop cards out there, but that one seems to have my number.
  • Options
    hi all,

1) 1968 kahns, full tab. (johnny bench)
    2) 1973 topps comics (johnny bench)
    3) 1975 msa test disc, blank back (johnny bench)

one seems to be as tough as the other at this point.

my #1 ranked johnny bench master set (over 70 pics)

your friend, lee
  • Options
    1979 Wayne Gretzky OPC PSA 10 and...
    1979 Wayne Gretzky Topps PSA 9
  • Options
    Hello Everyone!!

!) 1964 Topps Hockey #80 Bobby Rousseau PSA8(NQ)
    2)1964 Topps Hockey #92 Marcel Paille PSA8(NQ)

I cannot find these cards in high grade anywhere!!!!!!! I think I have just about given up.

George
  • Options
    My toughest cards:

1971 Brooks Robinson #300
    1971 Mickey Lolich #133

Looking for high end PSA 8 examples. Any help would be appreciated. Will also consider SGC 88 or higher examples
    of these cards.

Kosmo
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I'm down to 3 cards to complete my 1960 Fleer football set in PSA 8 or better:

#76 Paul Lowe - two 8's have been graded so far, and no 9's
    #78 Blanche Martin - one 8 and one 9 graded so far
    #84 Jim Woodard - highest grade so far is a 6!

Mike
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    1957 Topps BB #300 Mike Garcia PSA 8

1958 Topps BB #289 Shantz/Burdette PSA 7 or 8
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    ANY 1957 Topps basketball in well-centered nm/mt, graded or raw - even the graded 8's are NM at best! (By the way, if anyone has any - I'm buying)................ Harold
  • Options
    I am about 20 - 25 cards shy of completing the 1967 baseball set. The one card that hardly ever comes up on e-bay is # 82 Steve Barber in near mint or better. I don't care about graded commons, I just want that card in nice raw conditon.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    1959 Topps PSA 8 card of Billy Pierce AS....the last card in the set.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I'm still searching for PSA 9 1970 topps super glossy football
    cards of Tommy Nobis, George Webster, Mac Percival, and
    Greg Cook. I've searched for 3 years and haven't seen one
    for sale yet! Any help would be appreciated! Paul
  • Options
    1950 Bowman Mel Parnell in at least Near Mint
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    1982 RED sox HERALD stamps Wade Boggs never even seen one according to Beckett they Exist.

James
    x
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 9 1979 Topps Rollie Fingers
    PSA 9 1981 Donruss Rollie Fingers
    PSA 9 1979 Topps Gaylord Perry
    PSA 8 1969 Topps John Hadl
    PSA 9 1981 Topps Charlie Joiner

Steve
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I still need two cards from 1955 Bowman baseball in PSA 8. I've made such good progress over the past year or two - but am afraid I am close to my wall!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Aside from cards from my sets, 2001 and 2002 Bowman Gold Parallels of Grady Sizemore. You'd think a modern 1-per-pack parallel would be easy, but since they're not RCs, and they aren't otherwise in demand, dealers don't carry them to shows, and they never get listed on ebay (though recently one was that I missed because I rarely look anymore). Three times I've ordered them off the Beckett marketplace, and all three times they ended up not being in stock, so I gave up on that place. I even had these wants in my sig here for months, no one ever offered them.

Actually, with the proliferation of sets today, it can be hard to track down a particular single unless it's a top tier star, and even then. So many sets are never heavily broken, and even then, buying off ebay can be offputting because the one guy who does have something like a 2003 Topps Total Frank Thomas wants $3.50 for shipping, about 7 times the value of the card, aside from the actual auction price.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    In 1960 Topps baseball I would say finding a nice example of #451 Curt Simmons is next to impossible.

I have about 40 of these in my inventory and all are no better than psa 5 or 6 grade as most are either badly O/C or they will have bad printing marks on them.

In each year from 1960 to 1969 there seems to be about 3 or 4 really tough cards to find in top grade, which is probably true for all years.

Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    1966 Topps Football Funny Ring Checklist in any condition.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    1971 topps greatest moments #10 Jim Perry PSA 8.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski.
  • Options
    I can't find a 1954 Stahl Meyer Willie Mays in any condition. I've seen pictures. One guy has one in a PSA 9, but I don't want to sell my kidney to buy it. I guess my heart just isn't in the hobby anymore.

Best,

S.
  • Options
    In all my years of collecting PSA cards, I have yet to come across a raw 1959 Topps #465 Sievers Sets HR Mark Thrills card that would grade 9 or 10. The last time I checked the pop report (about 6 months ago) there weren't any in existence.

It's counterpart common (#466 Pierce) has 1 PSA 9 and I recall that going for $100 sometime earlier this year.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    1969 Lou Brock centered.
  • Options
    To xbaggy pants........David Levin just listed that Funny Ring Checklist in EXMT Condition for $255.00 US.....and knowing Dave, its probably pretty nice......here's the url...........http://www.gfg.com/baseball/fb66.shtml

Anyways, I have only been collecting again for the last year and a half but I seem to be having a devil of a time
    finding a high grade Bobby Orr from the 68/69 OPC Set???

Also a nice Serge Savard Rookie from the 69/70 OPC set............it's always the same.....you get down to the last few
    cards you need and it takes forever to get them!

Devon in Cowtown
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Any condition: 1970 Topps Test Cloth Nolan Ryan, 1972 Venezuelan Nolan Ryan

Graded condition: 1975 Topps #500 Nolan Ryan in PSA 9 (crazy prices), 1987 Classic Nolan Ryan in PSA 9 (two candidates at PSA right now), 1993 Finest Refractor Nolan Ryan in PSA 9 (stupid crazy prices), and 1993 Stadium Club Nolan Ryan in PSA 9 (can't do better than 8 so far).
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    hey 67standup, that 60yaz venezuelan must be awesome! any chance of posting a scan? now thats one i dream of adding to my collection.
    i have been looking for a 78topps molitor rookie psa 10 for a long time now . there are 8 of them out there somewhere.

bobby
    Bob
  • Options
    Helionaut,
    I'm sorry that I know squat about newer stuff. Try this, it might help, I;m not sure because, I still don't know squat qbout newer stuff.
    Good Luck,

http://www.sportlots.com/cgi-bin/odbic.exe/inven/invenbin/byname.tpl?sport=Baseball&namesrch=sizemore&frstsrch=grady&start=1

Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this is weak, but a 1989 Topps PSA 9 Steve Yzerman would make my day. Do any even exist???

On a more vintage scale, Sandy Koufax "leader" cards from the late 60s are almost impossible to find well centered.
  • Options

<< <i>1969 Lou Brock centered. >>

Amen.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry if this is weak, but a 1989 Topps PSA 9 Steve Yzerman would make my day. Do any even exist???

On a more vintage scale, Sandy Koufax "leader" cards from the late 60s are almost impossible to find well centered. >>

i own several '89 Topps PSA 9's. they are tough as all hell to find in truly Mint condition. never seen an Yzerman, but you might try contacting Brian Kritz (he posts on here as "bkritz") and ask him. i got several of my 9;s from him, and if i remember correctly he has hundreds of vending quality sets
  • Options

<< <i>Aside from cards from my sets, 2001 and 2002 Bowman Gold Parallels of Grady Sizemore. You'd think a modern 1-per-pack parallel would be easy, but since they're not RCs, and they aren't otherwise in demand, dealers don't carry them to shows, and they never get listed on ebay (though recently one was that I missed because I rarely look anymore). >>

i have an 01 Sizemore Gold. whenever i can find it its yours
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Been looking for a mint copy of Bryan Trottier's 1976 OPC rookie card forever. There are no 9's graded, and the raw cards on eBay are always low grade.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    heres a bvg 9: link
    that should translate to a psa 9- has strong subgrades at least
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. I'm actually looking for the regular issue. Plus, any OPC hockey from BGS or BVG with a 9.5 for edges is very likely sheetcut, which means PSA won't grade it.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."