Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the best "coin rip" you have purchased on ebay?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
My best deals were two toned Peace dollars, the first was PCGS MS64 beautifully cresent toned 1923 that had a crappy picture for $45.00. The other Peace dollar was a raw bright red obverse toned 1926-S that now resides in a PCGS MS63 holder, it was $65.00. Who says never buy raw on ebay?image

What were your best deals on the bay of E?

Comments

• Options
    I had a great score but it wasn't my doing. I bid on three '09VDB's in MS65RD: 2 PCGS and 1 ANACS. I was the high bidder with 5 minutes to go and ebay crashed. I forget what I paid for them, but it was a great deal. I emailed the seller and sent him an extra $50 to reduce his loss - he was grateful and I felt better.

I also got a 1930-D PCGS 64RD for a song 'cause the guy had it listed as a 39-D. I was the only bidder and probably the only one who even looked at the auction. No big dollars involved, but an interesting ebay experience.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased in June of 2002 for $25. It was listed in with the large cents, so many of the error people never saw it. I imagine that most people that did see it thought it was damaged and not a true Mint error. Fred Weinberg has another clipped 1854 in his inventory for $135, which he describes as "Large clipped planchet (4% by Weight). One of the biggest Large cent clips I've seen. Raw VF". I haven't weighed this coin, but this coin should be closer to 15-20% clipped by weight.

I also cherrypicked a clipped LDS 1858/7 Flying Eagle off eBay in late 2002, graded Fine with mild corrosion, for $38 and some change. It doesn't quite have the visual appeal of the coin above, but you can hit this link if you are interested in seeing it.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Whoops...wrong thread!
  • Options
    Don't think I've ever made any killer deals on EBay... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    JrG....Keep searching the bay and you will find your killa deal.image Crappy pictures and wrong listings are two things to look for. I also like low feedback sellers, sometimes they have real fresh material (that has been off the market for a while) for sale.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    scooped up a raw d.b. quarter that was an r7 variety for like 150 bucks. sold it for > 10 times my purchase price.

K S
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Time will tell for me, I purchase four raw DMPL Morgans that I'm waiting to come back from grading. If they come back slabbed and graded well, I'll have my "coin rip"
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with fivecents, they can be found. My recent 2 upgrades were a nice plus. image
    Ken
  • Options
    coppernicus....Great catch!! talk about lucky....The only thing that has ever happened to me when ebay crashes is that I get screwed.

<< <i>scooped up a raw d.b. quarter that was an r7 variety for like 150 bucks. sold it for > 10 times my purchase price. >>

Dork...I guess that just goes to show you that knowledge is everything when it comes to numismatics.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snatched a pcgs burnished millenium Sac $ quite some time ago for ridiculously cheap. turned it around with better pics and description and sold it for a 400% profit image
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    I would say my best deal on ebay would be 2 nicely toned 53S Washingtons, both PCGS MS66, 25 bucks each in two different auctions.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I never had a lot of luck buying raw coins off ebay. sometimes I've gotting graded commons cheaper than I could have had the graded myself but I don't think thats a great bargan

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    I never found any great deals on Ebay.

Every coin I purchased was above face value.........

I hear there are some great Bin's out there thoughimage
  • Options
    Well...I guess this one I picked up for about $1500 from our friends at bluemooncoins....
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Johnny,

Very nice coin & at a nice price also......image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    My best "rip" was a 1917-P Type Two Standing Liberty Quarter in a PCGS 65FH holder. Paid only $750 for it; I don't know grey sheet Bid/Ask prices, but it trends on Coin World for $1200. It has an "ultimate" full head and the shield rivots are all there. Soft white luster with faintly golden rims. I was more than pleased with the price as well as the coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JrG....Keep searching the bay and you will find your killa deal.image Crappy pictures and wrong listings are two things to look for. I also like low feedback sellers, sometimes they have real fresh material (that has been off the market for a while) for sale. >>

Hmmm...low feeback sellers. That's me!!! image I've just started selling. Its a lot of fun to watch your bids go up! (
    i'm sure it also sucks to watch them NEVER go up!)
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing super-duper great, but lots of stuff ~20% cheaper than I could have gotten it anywhere else. I keep track of the ones that work out and the ones that don't (see recent hot thread re getting screwed by slimeball seller) and I'm still a little ahead. Recently got two Sesqui halves, an AU50 and a 55, nice grubby but glowing original tone, for $54 with the shipping. Could do worse.
    mirabela
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I've actually nailed quite a few rips on eBay. My all time best is these two sets:

They were in a group of four that included a 1962 set and a 1963 set. Talked the seller in to closing the auction early and selling me the four sets for $85. Sold off all the coins but the Accented Hair Kennedys, which are now graded PR68DCAM and PR65DCAM.

That amounts to about a 160x ROI. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    1893 CC VF35 ANACS dollar that had a terrible picture. I fugured that at the price it was bringing it couldn't be that bad. Turned out to me very well struck, nice luster and attractive toning.
    My worst was a 1997 O AU50 ANACS. The coin was XF40 at best and came in a broken slab. Don't do the no returns anymore.
  • Options
    I have found lots of good deals on ebay. They are there, but it takes lots of looking. One recent memorable one was a Lincoln 1914-S cent described as Fine with terrible pictures. I picked it up for 12 dollars, and recently got it back from ANACS as MS62 BR. I keep checking their auctionsimage
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    I know this is the Coin Forum, but I picked up this national currency bill on eBay, where it was mislisted by a book dealer who found it in a book he purchased. There was only me and one other bidder and I got it for $250.

Only 5 bills known on this title of the bank, in excellent condition, serial #2, and signed (I think, on the right) by Averill Harriman who went on to become Sec'y of State during WWII, and later governor of NY. It's a great bill!!!
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    eBay is the place! A common AU 1880 Morgan for $21 flipped at $750 because of the ultra-rare 'E' clash vam. Lots of other vams, mostly in my collection.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    DoctorPaper,

That's a KILLER score!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Bought a 39-D Jefferson in a Pcgs67 holder for 175.00 about 8 months ago and recently sold it for $320.00. I am not sure if its a rip or "normal" appreciation for a Jefferson nickel recently.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a 1956-P NGC MS67RD Lincoln for $24 (below a pop 5 at the time). Flipped it for $310.

Picked up a 1946-P NGC MS67RD Lincoln for $49 (pop 7 at the time). It was a dog, but a dealer purchased it from me for $375.

Picked up a 1953-D NGC MS67RD Lincoln for $17. Flipped it for $260.

Also picked up a 1955-P NCG MS67RD for $47, a 1947-P for $75, and a 1958-P for $40.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Picked up a nice looking Seated Quarter in an old PCI Photograde holder graded EF-45. (paid low end EF money for it). Really looked solid for the grade and that it would cross. When the coin came back from NGC.....WOW....AU-55!!! image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I've picked up a few good pieces cheap on Ebay. I got an 1840-O with Drapery Large O Seated Quarter in a solid fine for $16 on a buy-it-now. Check out the trends price on it.
    Another good buy was an 1841-O Seated Dime in good for $365.
    I got the only known 1856 Seated Quarter with 1 repunched in the skirt on a buy it now. I don't remember how much I paid, but way, way below what it's worth as a unique variety.
    I got 2 1844-O reverse of 1843-O Large O Seated Quarters at the value of a common. This is a rare variety I discovered over 10 years ago. I've got at least 2 1856 Seated Quarters, flag of 5 in the shield, a very rare variety, at the price of commons.
    You think I got cheated on that 1841-O dime?
    It's the rarest of all the Liberty Seated Dimes. Rarer than the 1874CC. 1841-O, small O Closed Buds. It's worth a lot more than what I paid.
    Bargains are to be found on Ebay. It's all in what you're looking for.

Ray
  • Options
    I once bid on a coin by accident, misread the discription, didn't need the coin already had one in my collection. Since it was my mistake I withdrew my max bid and placed the minimum required bid. No one else bid on the coin so I won it. The day the coin arrived I re-listed it on the E of Bay and sold it with buy-it-now at a 115% profit over what I had paid for the coin.

Paid $160, sold it for $350

Thats was just a lucky mistake. image
  • Options
    imageBought raw 1908 No Motto $20 Saint and it graded PCGS MS-63.
    Eddie
  • Options
    I bought a nice variety cent in a ICG holder for $600 on e-bay. Crossed it to PCGS and sold it for $1800. Have done similar with other variety cents for the same profit ratio. Can't beat those off slabs. image
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    My best ebay rip is a 1917-D Buffalo Nickel. The coin is 10% off-center and was listed raw on ebay. The coin looked like a gem from the scan and it had wonderful two sided color. I paid around $1200.00 for the coin, and it slabbed at PCGS as MS65, 10% off-center! I figure I at least tripled my money on that one. I still have the coin. It is in my A Box of color coins.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    For me, the "rips" pretty much begin and end with properly graded coins in disrespected slabs. But even that's getting harder to "rip" these days.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Probably a 1979 Proof set I bought for $8.

It turned out to be a type 2 set that was really outstanding. I sent it in to NGC and the dime, quarter and SBA came back PF70UCAMs.

(The NGC pop for a SBA T2 is 6 and PCGS it is 43 - and the price guide lists it at $1200)

I got about $800 for the coins on eBay so that was a pretty good return on my $8
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    1880-s Morgan in an anacs 64 holder, now in a PCGS 65 holder, my total cost inc. buying/reslabbing/shipping $46.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A PCGS MS63 1890-CC Morgan "Tailbar" that I used "Buy It Now" for at around $550. It was worth four times as much.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I recently purchased a certified 1921 Morgan Zerbe (Vam-1) on eBay...the dealer had misspelled Zerbe in the title. If I remember correctly, there were only four bidders.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a raw 26-S Lincoln that the saler had advertized as a 63RB. Well, from the pic, it looked 64BN. I decided to risk it and violited my "no raw coins over $100" rule. I got it, and it was indeed a no question MS64BN. I'm all happy, so I send it to PCGS and it comes back 64RB. I sold it for $900. About two years later, the person I sold it to had it on ebay. I put an $1100 bid in the ol sniper program and it didnt even registar. The hammer was about $1400.

David
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 1925-S Lincoln listed as "very good shape" But I thought I saw a bit of luster in the photo so I bid $5 and won. Well I get the coin slabbed, it came back 64 Brown...worth $185.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    While we're on S Lincolns, I bought an icg 63rb 26-s for $150 on ebay... later cracked it and sent it to pcgs... 64rb... sold it to a dealer for $1500.
  • Options
    Recently bought a $3 in AU58, a real beauty at 1500. It upgrade to 62 and sold at 2600. One board member bought a barber quarter in 64 at 280 and sold it to me at a small profit, it upped to 65 and sold at 850 (thanks again Marcovan)

Hey Russ:

Glad to see you got your AH in PRDCAM, and a 68 wow, good going. I think thats another one whos pops are beginning to rise.

One hint : quickly identify the major ebay coin dealers (like Fairtraderz and Blue Moon). These guys know what they're doing and they aren't going to make any mistakes. If you buy from them most likely you'll pay retail.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    How about this for a question...

For an auction you won, what was the largest difference between your max bid and your winning bid?

For example, one seller had a roll of 62-d pennies just like a great roll I had just got, so I knew there would be some ms66's in it...so I bid $100.00 I think but won it for something like $2.25!

Edited to add: one of my worst purchases though was a roll of 54-p pennies. I thought it could be extra nice so I bid a lot and paid a lot! Nope, terrible coins.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought a $5 proof set from 1969 and made a PR69DCAM Washington. Was pop 24/0 at the time.
    imageimage

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a 14-S half eagle I bought "buy it now".

It's a rather weird coincedence. I had seen a 14-S $5 in MS62 in a Heritage Bullet auction at a Long Beach show in Sept. 2002 that I really liked. It was WAY to nice for a Bullet sale so it sort of stood out. I was definately a shot MS63 but my bid didn't meet the reserve and I even went so far to call Heritage afterward to see what I could get it for. They didn't budge and I wouldn't go that high.

About a year later I was cruising Ebay and saw a 14-S $5 in MS62. I couldn't remember which date it was I had seen the year before but I did remember calling back Heritage etc etc. So went to the archives there and copied the picture. Heading back to Ebay I noticed that picture was very different but incredibly the serial number WAS THE SAME! The buyer didn't resubmit the coin (he wasn't really a dealer or anything) and the "buy it now" was a LOT less then what I offered a year earlier so I hit the button. It was truly amazing I'd find that coin again.

The seller had a bunch of coins in the regular Heritage auction (Signature) that September but this one got back from PCGS too late (what a shock!) so it ended up WAY out of place in the Bullet. I offered Heritage way above normal money for a 62 and I think they did the seller a disservice by not bothing to check with him. He HAD sold a bunch of coins in their Signature sale so you'd think they could at least give a bit on their buyers fees. Oh well, my luck was good I guess.

BTW, I haven't bothered to see if it would go 63 as I have NO intention of selling it. image

jom
  • Options

<< <i>Glad to see you got your AH in PRDCAM, and a 68 wow, good going. I think thats another one whos pops are beginning to rise. >>

Rise? It's been over 13 months since PCGS has graded any in DCAM at any grade level.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I have had no coin rips so far....but then again I have not been ripped off either. I consider myself lucky.image
  • Options
    My best is a roll of 1943-P Jeffs in a tube. Most people don't bid much on tube coins since they are out of the wrapper. Anyway I paid 70% of grey sheet bid and the roll yielded 10, yes 10 1943 DDO (Double Eye jeffs), 6 graded MS66 and I have been selling them slowly for between $750 and $1200. Hows that for a rip!
  • Options
    Bought a raw 1927 $20 Saint Gaudens that was described as MS63+ for $342 when gold was about $325. Sent it to PCGS and it came back a 65, sold it two weeks ago for $1100. image

• Options
    I don't wanna "rip" nobody (sic).

Best buys include an 01 s Barber quarter, raw from a non-collector. Mighty risky, but is was the real deal and slabbed PCS G04! Paid about $1800, 75% of going rate at the time.

Best deal, an off-Ebay buy of a 1797 half originally listed on Ebay, PCGS VG08, for $16K about a year ago.

I've bought a ton of stuff on Ebay, and generally have been satisified with the deals.
  • Options

<< <i>I've bought a ton of stuff on Ebay, and generally have been satisified with the deals. >>

I've heard you like to shop estate sales for deals on currency.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file