Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual rim on this 21 P Morgan, what...

... caused the coin to be struck that way ??

Herb
Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Are you talking about the slightly thicker denticles on the right side?
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Single denticles on top half and double row of denticles bottom half

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, that's wild. Is this your coin? No chance it's a reflection deal between the slab and the coin causeing the bottom half to be doubled?

David
  • Options
    I have the coin in hand, mailman brought it a week ago and I'm just now getting around to looking at it . Didn't notice the denticles until I looked at the pic, I log all my coins into my database with pics.

Pulled out the loop to make sure what I saw on the pic was on the coin and the double denticle start on the right at the U in UNUM and on the left between the E and last star.

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Some of those have "infrequent edge reeding", 157 instead of 189, maybe count 'emimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Some of those have "infrequent edge reeding", 157 instead of 189, maybe count 'emimage----------BigE >>

that might be an all day job image, the coin resides in a PCGS slab.

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Very neat coin. Can you post a picture of the reverse? What are the chances of it being double struck? imageimage If you have a picture of the reverse, it might help diagnose the problem. image

Did you win that on eBay? If so, what was the item number. imageimage Just curious.
  • Options

Between the green arrows the rim is raised, as can be seen by the pink arrow.

the second row of denticles, though not as pronounced as on the obv. is between the red arrows

eBay coin item # 3919893132

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Possibly damage from a collar clash.
  • Options
    Condor101, thanx

So I will file that one under "Error Coins"

Herb

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be a double strike?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Shamika,

you answered my question, with a question image

All kidding aside, I'm green to know what constitutes a double strike, hopefully some of the morgan experts will chime in.

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have never seen it before.
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file