Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about 1981 cello with Bench on top

I don't know much about cello, but I do know that 1981 Bench is notoriously hard to find centered. The one in this pack seems to be 65/35 to 70/30, which is better than a lot I've seen, and better than my raw copies.

As best as I can tell through the plastic, the corners do not seem to be blunted (in the scan, the corners of cards behind Johnny make it hard to tell). It might pull a 9 but for centering. I am thinking at worst it would get 8 NQ or 9 OC if they call it 70/30.

Would you leave it in the pack? It's not like there is much chance of getting anything worth grading and selling in the other 27 cards. Rickey 2nd year? Ryan? Rose? Not much in the 1981 set, as I recall.

Comments

• Options
    I would open it and have it graded if I were you.. Who knows.. maybe there's another one in there? image
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    In my experiences with cello packs, usually the top two cards and the bottom two cards have dinged or rounded corners. This is usually due to the tight wrapping or just from handling.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I just can't imagine that the corners will look sharp after you open the pack. I mean - there really isn't much downside if you try, right? What is it - a $5 to $10 pack if you open? But to pull a 9 on the top of a cello pack? That's notoriously tough. I can't tell from the scan - you would be able to tell best.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>But to pull a 9 on the top of a cello pack? That's notoriously tough. >>

Marc, I agree on that point, however, the scan does make the corners look like 9 corners from what I can tell. In my wildest dreams though, I can't see that being a straight 9. The centering is not good enough just eyeballing it.

I agree with Marc also on that it's only $5-$10 a pack and to just go for it, unless you want to have it graded by GAI and keep it for the collectability of it, with Bench on the front.

-Ian
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Hey Ian-

Looks like your girl digs Kelloggs.

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I think the best grade you're possibly looking at on that card is an 8. I'd say find a graded Bench elsewhere and leave the pack alone. The other cards will be pretty much worthless once it's opened, the Bench wouldn't even be worth the grading fees.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Aside from the centering issue, which would probably keep you from a straight 9, I agree with everyone who mentioned how tough it is to pull gradable cards from a cello, especially the top and bottom cards. I just bought a 79 cello, because there was a sweet Yaz on top, perfectly centered. Opened it, and found the top two corners badly pinched, and centered or not, the card doesn't seem worth grading.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i've got 2 on ebay now that i think would be 8's no doubt (was hoping for 9's, but at 10x you can see chipping at the bottom and didn't know how they would fare with grading). didn't think submitting and getting 8's would be profitable so i thought i'd put them out there raw. the centering is great on both of them.

auctions

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Having the benefit of holding the pack in my hand and using a loupe, I think the corners could be 9, but can't tell for sure without breaking it out. I agree the centering probably prevents a straight 9, and an 8 is not worth the grading fee since I wouldn't add it to my registry. After all your kind input, I think I'll leave the pack alone and add it to my Bench shrine. Thanks.

idferg, nice centering on yours! I agree the corners are 8, though. Someday I'll find one that's 9 all the way around.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    The Bench is not that difficult to find centered. I have plenty of PSA 9 quality centered cards. The main problem is the print smears (i.e. the junk around the Reds cap and his name on your card). I can't imagine not getting a PD qualifier on that one, and it's not a 9 on it's best no matter what the corners look like. If your putting together a raw set, then open it. If your looking for graded cards, stick with racks for '81's.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like your girl digs Kelloggs. >>

LOL, Where in the world did you find that? That picture is perfection, I mean Kayte and Kellogg's, it's a glorious thing!

-Ian
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>LOL, Where in the world did you find that? That picture is perfection, I mean Kayte and Kellogg's, it's a glorious thing! >>

I just did a search on Google and then clicked on images.