Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

$6 for shipping one PSA card????

I just won this auction and only now realized that this clown wants $6 to ship one PSA graded card. I'm usually very careful about reading how much the s&h charge is before I bid. I'm tempted not to follow through on the purchase. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Greg M.
$6 for s&h
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I dont think you will get much sympathy here, the seller clearly states the S&H. It is your fault for not reading the auction. Chalk it up and move on.

James
    x
  • Options
    *THE SHIPPING AND HANDLING FEE IS STATED IN THE ITEM DESCRIPTION SO THAT THE BIDDER CAN INCORPORATE THIS AMOUNT INTO HIS/HER BIDDING STRATEGY*

Directly from the auction listing.Certainly not the sellers fault Agree with James chalk it up as a lesson to read the description

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    you bid, you should buy

its not the sellers fault that you didn't read the auction -- no reason to call the guy a clown

i know sellers that charge $7+ for SH, gotta read the terms and factor the amount into your bid
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Don't pay it - tell him to shove it!

Is that what you wanted to hear?

He called out his s&h pretty darned clearly, I don't think you got any room to wiggle here.
    Cheap lesson, it could have been thirty-six dollars.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Some sellers only use UPS Ground, and the base charge is close to $6. At least that price most the time includes insurance.
    If that is how he is shipping, he isn't make much if anything. Just a possibility.

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    That's o.k. Bbcexchange charged me $8.00 for this card. I will say that I knew the amount before bidding but I didn't mind 'cause it's insured. Nice card BTW, I could have used that for my registry.

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted not to follow through on the purchase

huh???

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    As always, when you bid on an auction you agree to the terms of the auction including S&H. Take S/H into consideration when you are placing your bid, unless you email the seller for a different deal in advance.

On the flipside, speaking of clowns, I just had a buyer buy 3 cards from me and "help himself" to a shipping discount when he sent me his money order. I sent him an email on it and he called me a jackass. So, nukes are in order. Don't question it - you agreed to it.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    my gripe is the sellers that say they will combine , I recently bought 2 cards with shipping listed at $7 (which I was willing to suck up and factored in to my bids) and will combine, so I win 2 and the combined shipping is $12 for 2. I complain and he says he sends everything ups and the best he can do is $10 , I already paid the $12 so whatever. card shoes up a few days later by usps with $3 postage. I am still pretty pi**ed on this one.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    packCollector, I had that happen to me too. Now I confirm the S&H price breaks PRIOR to bidding. It incents the seller to haggle on the S&H in order to get a bidder's action.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    I agree $6 is ridiculous for first class mail on a slabbed card. But again, and I believe we have had many threads here on this, you really can't complain about it after the fact. As Bobs points out, haggle in advance of the bid if you have an issue with it.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    the shipping charge of 5.95 for the auction in question also includes INSURANCE.............
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% - I should have read the s&h terms BEFORE I bid....I stated that in my original post. It just p*sses me off that sellers have to charge such obnoxious rates to mail a damn card.

I was going to bid on some PSA 9 1984 Topps FB today but the s&h charge was $5 for the first card and a $1 for each additional. $10 to ship 6 graded cards (just as an example)? Give me a break. I just sold 16 graded cards through PSA's message board last week and it cost me $7.50 to ship them first class USPS to Colorado. I think dealers hurt themselves by charging such obnoxious rates.

FYI - I'll follow through w/ the purchase - I was just being dramatic and hate to "suck it up".

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

Most EBay sellers now build a little extra in to their shipping costs to cover auction fees, shipping supplies and what can be profit-sucking Paypal fees (most buyers now prefer Paypal). If you're expecting the seller to pick all of those fees up and charge you only the exact shipping cost, you're not living in reality. If that suddenly became the expectation of all buyers, you'd see thousands of sellers disappear from EBay & thus, the incredible variety of cards you now enjoy browsing through would rapidly disappear because it would no longer be worth it for sellers (I don't know too many who sell cards just as a public service). So what's it gonna be?

I do think that most people who sell here on the board don't charge as much for shipping as they might on EBay because there are no auction fees to worry about.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    6.oo for insured shipping and you get the handling too,
    what's the problem?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    It is a little bit steep, but they are up-front about it. I really like that seller - I've gotten good deals with him. I've always wanted someone to argue with me and pay just 37 cents for shipping. If so, I'd write their address with a sharpie on the slab and stick a stamp on it. image

Brian
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I've got no complaint if it's clearly stated in the listing, but it does burn me when S/H is $6 and the card arrives in a bubble mailer with 83 cents postage. I think $3 is reasonable to cover "handling" and supplies on a standard bubble mailer shipment. Beyond that and I "adjust my bid accordingly."

I think some sellers use high S/H fees to ease the bite from eBay and PayPal. It doesn't seem like much of a savings on one card (for example, $20 sale + $6 S/H versus $24 sale + $2 S/H), but if you're moving dozens or hundreds of cards a week...
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got no complaint if it's clearly stated in the listing, but it does burn me when S/H is $6 and the card arrives in a bubble mailer with 83 cents postage... >>

Exactly - pet peeve central - if I'm paying a steep price for s&h, I want to see most (at least half?) of that spent on shipping: packaging postage insurance etc. I won't neg the seller if it comes otherwise, but I'll never buy from him again.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    ~"Exactly - pet peeve central - if I'm paying a steep price for s&h, I want to see most (at least half?) of that spent on shipping: packaging postage insurance etc. I won't neg the seller if it comes otherwise, but I'll never buy from him again."~

Being from Canada this situation happens to me quite a bit. Seller states "International" shipping extra. They state $4 to ship in the US and than tell me it will be $6 to ship to Canada. Card comes in a bubble mailer with $1.10 postage. I just figure that they assume it will be more to ship to Canada without really knowing. I estimate that I have paid about $40 in handling fees for my last 10 purchases.
  • Options
    marzmarz Posts: 1,601
    Dan McKee will not Pay one penny for postage! Not one penny!
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    yeah, thats your fault... but at least it includes insurance!
  • Options
    Dan Mckee and the vanished Magge T206 Error card~

I am going to drop some shipping supplies off at his table in Cleveland.

Or maybe just a $20 roll of stamps so he can mail out $5,000 cards in a white envelope.

Yowwwzaa!image
  • Options

<< <i>I agree 100% - I should have read the s&h terms BEFORE I bid....I stated that in my original post. It just p*sses me off that sellers have to charge such obnoxious rates to mail a damn card.

I was going to bid on some PSA 9 1984 Topps FB today but the s&h charge was $5 for the first card and a $1 for each additional. $10 to ship 6 graded cards (just as an example)? Give me a break. I just sold 16 graded cards through PSA's message board last week and it cost me $7.50 to ship them first class USPS to Colorado. I think dealers hurt themselves by charging such obnoxious rates.

FYI - I'll follow through w/ the purchase - I was just being dramatic and hate to "suck it up".

Regards,

Greg M. >>

You have to understand that a lot of dealers hire employs to do there shipping. You are not just paying for shipping you are paying for handling also.
    Purchase any other product off the internet of mail order, these companies also charge for handling. It is a cost of doing business. If we don't like it then
    we don't have to buy it.

H. Walker

• Options
    On Ebay you have a culture clash between good sound businessmen and puddingheads pretending to be Sam Walton thinking they're making money. The puddingheads will come and go, but the $5 and $6 shipping guys will survive.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>will come and go, but the $5 and $6 shipping guys will survive >>

I better raise my shipping rates then image ...jay
  • Options
    What you do not know is that I had a package insured for $3000 ripped open by a postal employee and the contents removed. Though I did get the money back, the rare collectible was lost . And by the way, I won my case against PSA and was awarded $4800.00 for the Magie they lost. And please do bring the roll of stamps by my booth in Cleveland 258/260, I would love to meet you. Dan r337man@yahoo.com
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    what horrible luck!

I heard that you sued the NATIONAL because someone stole some rare and expensive cards from your table while the convention center was closed.

Then the postal service steals some rare and expensive cards also.

Then PSA somehow losses your $4800 maggie card too.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    You do want to meet me. I love you too. Can I have some of the money you collect for all the favors I have done for you? Hey! Where did my other post go? How did you do this? Are you a matorator?

<< <i>What you do not know is that I had a package insured for $3000 ripped open by a postal employee and the contents removed. Though I did get the money back, the rare collectible was lost . And by the way, I won my case against PSA and was awarded $4800.00 for the Magie they lost. And please do bring the roll of stamps by my booth in Cleveland 258/260, I would love to meet you. Dan r337man@yahoo.com >>

• Options
    The heist in LA wasn't me. It was my father and the entire showcases were removed not just the cards and anyone that was there would know there was never a doubt that it happened. Also, a local family to CA the Levins, were robbed the same way the same night. I wasn't even there so take some time and do your homework before you have fun at someone else's expense. I have been buying and selling cards since 1969. If you want to call me a liar, that is fine, the CA court didn't. You can also check the court records from 1991, they should read Lambert Mckee which is his real name, Dan is his nickname.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Yeah but Aro, when you get deals like the ones you just won for #1 and #99 in '63P, it all evens out image
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 491 ✭✭
    See you all at the national.

GOD BLESS GEORGE W. BUSH
  • Options
    Hey, does anyone want to buy a PSA 3 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle? I'll let it go for $400. Just click the '52 set link below to look at a pic of it. Just PM me if you are interested.

**note - shipping and handling will be $6,000
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>**note - shipping and handling will be $6,000 >>

Bill - How bout I pick it up? image ...jay
  • Options
    Jay,

The "handling" fee would still be $5800. It's a b*tch walking to the door and opening it. image
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>**note - shipping and handling will be $6,000 >>

Do you combine shipping? How much for each additional card?
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Back to the original issue............

1) need to read the auction. Not his fault..........it's yours, so suck it up.
    2) nothing wrong with $5,6,10, or more $$ shipping/insurance if the card value fits. Yep, $6 on a $20 card is high but it's not high if the card is valued $200-$300 or so.
    3) I like usps $3.85 priority mail (includes the small, very sturdy box). Add insurance and it 's not hard to reach higher single-digit or double-digit charges. I only use it on more expensive cards.
    4) If it makes you feel better, send a note to the guy, and don't worry if he responds or not. Just make your point.

BOTR
  • Options

<< <i>The heist in LA wasn't me. It was my father and the entire showcases were removed not just the cards and anyone that was there would know there was never a doubt that it happened. Also, a local family to CA the Levins, were robbed the same way the same night. I wasn't even there so take some time and do your homework before you have fun at someone else's expense. I have been buying and selling cards since 1969. If you want to call me a liar, that is fine, the CA court didn't. You can also check the court records from 1991, they should read Lambert Mckee which is his real name, Dan is his nickname. >>

Lamchop? You mean Lambaste! You kids were lambasted. post the court ordered check here for validation. Where is the money?

Show me the money!image
  • Options
    You think $6 is bad how about $12.
    Link
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>You think $6 is bad how about $12.
    Link >>

Pittfan,

I'm pretty sure this is just a mistake, copied from this other auction he currently has on ebay.

He specifically lists s&h at $2.50 in the description. I've accidentally done this before, but I always look at my auctions once they're up to make sure there are no mistakes - and correct them if there are.

This shouldn't be a problem.

JEB.
  • Options
    I was going to rant on a card I bought, but I didn't read the fine print well enough before I hit post.