Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin is this seller selling?

bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sent them an email yesterday asking which coin and no response. The 1878 S looks good but don't want to buy it only to have them send a 1880 S. The 78 S should be worth more, right?

Morgan
Ken

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd assume it's the 78-S, as it's in the description and title. I would still make sure the seller agrees, though... no need for an unnecessary post-auction battle.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    It looks like the 1880S. But I wouldn't bid on it till the seller confirms it.

Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>I'd assume it's the 78-S, as it's in the description and title. I would still make sure the seller agrees, though... no need for an unnecessary post-auction battle.

Jeremy >>

Yes, I assumed that once before (not this seller) and got the coin in the title. I learned once again what

<< <i>assume >>

meant. image

I don't want to assume again this time, got stuck with the coin last time.
    Ken
  • Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    Also, it looks like it may be in a slab. You might want to ask him who slabbed it...image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Hallmark? The slab coins too?
  • Options
    The one pictured is in a out of business Hallmark slab according to the description.
    Ken
  • Options
    It was slabbed by a "highly respected third party service, Hallmark".

I'd never heard of Hallmark (1987-1991) until yesterday when I came across http://www.sampleslabs.com/hallmark.html, but I haven't been collecting for that long. I question "highly respected", if they were so respected, why'd they go out of business after 4 years?
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Ty, MR P38 !
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Online Sellers need to answer email questions. My policy is to never buy from an ebay seller who will not answer my question(s). I understand there can be circumstances where the seller temporarily may not be able to answer or is slow to answer, etc. but if I, as a prospective buyer, get the feeling that I have no more importance to him than a potted plant then I will unhesitatingly pass on bidding on the seller's auction.

That aside, the auction is for an 1878 coin. The description and picture establish this and if I were the winning bidder would insist that the 1878 coin depicted and described be sent to me. The 1878 coin shown does look very strong for a MS 63.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller(s) have updated their description:

<< <i>We were hurrying and we put the wrong date for this coin. The pictures are correct. This coin is an 1878-S graded by Hallmark as an MS63PQ. We apologize for our error. >>

<< <i>I'd never heard of Hallmark (1987-1991) until yesterday when I came across http://www.sampleslabs.com/hallmark.html, but I haven't been collecting for that long. I question "highly respected", if they were so respected, why'd they go out of business after 4 years? >>

Actually, Wekar, they were highly respected, though they're seldom heard of today. (This is one of the very few examples I can think of where a relatively unknown service actually has a good reputation.) They were bought out by PCI, which is why the Hallmark slab so resembles the old PCI slabs. Everything I have heard indicates that Hallmark was pretty conservative in their grading. I have owned only one; a 1915 Buffalo nickel in a Hallmark MS63 holder. It was a nice coin and correctly graded. Welcome to the forums.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file