Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Austin, Texas -- Capital City Coin Show -- Thanks Tonekiller, Blade & DPoole!!

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am planning on attending the Austin, TX Capital City Coin Show during the morning this Saturday June 26th at the Red Lion Inn (6121 N. IH-35 at Hwy 290), and was wondering whom else from the Forum is also planning on being there.

I hope to see some other forum members there!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Stuart. I'll be there. You'd better show up! image
  • Options
    How big is the show ?

• Options
    Louis: I have no idea how big the Austin show is, because I've never been to it before.

DPoole: I'll be there from 9am to about 1 or 2pm (not all the way to 4:00pm closing) because my wife & I are driving to Austin for a 4:00pm Youth Soccer Game on Saturday.

I decided to drive up to Austin on Friday night, rather than Saturday morning, so that I can also attend the Austin Coin Show in the morning and early afternoon...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    Louis,

40 tables. Plenty of time and opportunity to schmooze with other Board members!
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

image I live in Austin and wasnt even aware it was going on. About time something happens locally for once.

Count me in to show up now that I know its happening.
  • Options
    Great, Wildjag. How about everybody meeting at the main entrance at 10:00 am?
  • Options
    I might make it.

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I'll be there, but probably not til after 1 or so. I'll be the guy in the golf hat and pony tail. If any of you guys are still around, the first round is on me in the bar.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    David: See you and the other forum members at 10:00am at the main entrance of the Austin Show at the Red Lion Inn.

PCGS Forum Pins are the dress code for the day, and I'll also have my customized name badge with my author icon coin picture for quick & easy forum member identification image

Stuart

• Options

<< <i> PCGS Forum Pins are the dress code for the day >>

Just out of curiousity, what and where do I get a PCGS Forum pin? image
  • Options
    David: Please clarify if you meant for us to meet Main Entrance of the Coin Show at 10:00am, rather than the main entrance to the Red Lion Inn??

Please confirm so that we'll know specifically where to meet one another. Thanks!

Stuart

• Options

<< <i> I live in Austin and wasnt even aware it was going on. About time something happens locally for once. >>

Likewise. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town image
    Looking for hobo nickels
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I will be there! But might be up to 15 min late so see you between 10:00-10:15. I know what dpoole, and Stuart look like so I'll track you guys down.

TBT - Are you gonna make it too?

Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    Blade: Excellent!! I look forward to also seeing you in Austin this Saturday morning!!

Since you know what we look like, it's nice of you to volunteer to be the shepherd... image

Stuart

• Options
    OK. Clarification:

We'll meet at the main entrance of the COIN SHOW where the sign-up table is at 10:00 am, NOT at the main entrance of the Inn.

Thanks for flagging the ambiguity.

I guess we can find SOMETHING to do until Blade shows up. image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Better get there before Stuart does, with only 40 tables he will have the place cherrypicked in less than 15 minutesimage--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Blade,

Yes, I will be there around 10am also.

Bryan
  • Options
    Big E: Thanks for the compliment!! image

However, I couldn't cherry-pick 40 tables in 15 minutes, it would take me at least 30 minutes to cherry-pick 40 tables image

Stuart

• Options
    Bryan (TBT): I'll see you this Saturday in Austin!

Stuart

• Options

bump to see if anyone else will be attending.

I searched the newspaper and online for this coin show and came up with nothing about it... guess that just means more of a selection for me to buy then right? image
  • Options
    Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to check with the Austin Show Coordinator to confirm that the show will go on, since the big Chicago show will be drawing so many dealers...

Does anyone know who the Austin Show Coordinator is, or can someone confirm that the show is still on... There's been absolutely no publicity about this show!

Stuart

• Options
    I phoned the Austin Red Lion Inn and the night staff did not have a clue, and asked me to call during the day when the events coordinator is in.

The phone number is (800) RED-LION or (512) 323-5466 in case someone else has chance to call tomorrow...

Stuart

• Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    For whatever it's worth....I went to a coin show in Austin several years ago....there were about 10 tables. A really big waste of time.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll see if my wife will let me go. ...just kidding, I know she'll be trying to beat me in the front door. I MIGHT be able to make it. I'm going to be bidding on a coin in the ANR auction tomorrow. If I win that, not only will I be coin broke, I'll be coin in-debt. So if I win, the odds are 40% that I'll go. If I lose it, the odds are 80% that I'll go.

Now that I have odds posted, I'll probably just show up anyway.

David
  • Options
    Thanks for the pitch, Anaconda! image

It's not a big show, but has consistently been 40 tables. Great cherry-picking, and a chance to get together...

Com'on down, Anaconda! We'll have a good time! image

It'd be good to see you, David! Bring the wifey...
  • Options
    Would it be worthwhile for me to bring some duplicate Certified Morgans with me to the show to swap with some of you other guys??

Here's what I'm looking for posted on the BS&T Board: Forum Swap Material for Austin

Stuart

• Options
    I have a post card that was mailed to my home for the show. You've got all the details right. See you all there.

Adrian - Come on down and do some vest pocket dealing!
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Options
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could come. I attended all shows between 91 and 95 when I lived in Austin. I had a great time in all the shows there.
    The show chainman Bryan Jones is a very nice person.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Any reports on this coin show,stuff came up just could not get there!
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Sorry if I didn't speak carefully. My suspicions are that the show I went to was not connected to the show that went on this weekend. It certainly couldn't have been.

My sincerest apologies.
  • Options
    I got to the show late and I looked around alittle for anyone wearing PCGS Forum pins, but I didnt see anyone image I was hoping to at least run into a few people. Of course the coins distracted me from people watching quickly.

I didnt have my hopes up for much, but I was actually impressed with this show. They had around 40 tables as noted earlier. The crowd was steady even though this show lacked advertising.

Nice selection, very friendly dealers, and enough variety for most everyone. I bought quite a few raw coins, including a raw rainbow 1912-s Barber dime which even though it is probably AU-55, it just has great eye appeal. I must have eaten something funny for breakfast, because this coin just jumped out of the dealers book and told me to take it home. Do coins talk to you too? image I wanted to post a photo but my camera isnt catching the colors right.

Edited to say: Thank you Stuart for letting me know about this show.
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Thanks Wildjag,

"because this coin just jumped out of the dealers book and told me to take it home. Do coins talk to you too? "

This happens to me ever week, just Karma I guess. In fact one has been calling me from far off E-bay all week. This coin either has my name on it or a disapointment coming in. I could not even tell you why I have the hots about this dumb coin it is already way over bid!!

Someone should do a new thread about these weird impulses.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I spent an hour or so at the show...got there around 1:30. Didn't see anyone from the forum, or at least didn't know it if I did.

I attend this show about once every 3 or 4 years so my observations relate to my infrequent attendance.
    The show was one of the better ones I've attended; very busy, lots of actual buyers. I saw one guy fork over a hefty sum for a handful of nice Washington quarters, which seemed to be pronounced in the dealer cases.

There seemed to be considerably more slabbed coins taking up space in cases than just a few years ago. A large number of them being NGC, SEGS and ANACS. An unusual amount of very nice, raw Morgans. Gold was moving well.

Other than those few observations, the show seemed consistent with my belief that it has always been set up to give the Dealers a chance to swap around stuff rather than cater to retail consumers.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Hey Anaconda, not only did you come out with the Coin Weenie post, you came up with the first rule on being one. Insert Foot in Mouth. Personally, I carry a bottle of steak sauce with me and only wear one sock!!! Jerry
  • Options
    Just got back from the Austin Show where I met with Tonekiller, Blade & DPoole -- the Austin Forum contingent. They were all very gracious and wonderful hosts showing me some excellent down-home Austin hospitality.

We met at 10:00am as agreed, did some coin shopping until 11:30 when we scoured the bourse for other forum members to join us for lunch at Pappasito's , but we could not either find or indentify others to join us. I got back to the show at 1:30 and stayed there until 3:30 but was not able to find any other forum members, although I was wearing my PCGS Forum Pin and my Custom Designed Personalized Name Tag.

I'll post more details when I get a chance, but thanks to Tonekiller for treating all of us to a very pleasant lunch with lots of interesting and stimulating conversation.

I picked up a beautiful 1883-CC Morgan in ANACS MS-64 DMPL which is a "headlight DMPL" with super eye appeal. Also snapped up a bargain in a pretty raw 1880-O Morgan that is a lock MS-62 with a legitimate shot at MS-63 which is a nice ~$300 priced grade if she makes it! I'll try to post photos within the next week or two.

A good time was had by all!! image

Stuart

• Options

Stuart

• Options
    It was a well-attended show. I went in the morning, and there was a steady stream of folks, who looked to me like coin affectionados of all levels of sophistication and ages.

It looked like a good mix of stuff. Not a lot of high level, but plenty of medium grade of decent quality, and a few interesting pieces. Some Seated material, lots of slabbed moderns, and not the overwhelming number of Morgans you often find. Some darkside and ancients as well.

Seemed like people were interested in looking and buying, not with a frenzy, so much as a collector's interest. Had a healthy, active feel to it. I sold an MS 66 1882-S PCGS to Royal Coin for a fair price, with the support andf encouragement of Stuart, who, folks, knows his Morgans! I didn't buy anything, but I saw James Turpin there from jetproofs, who's to contact me in a few days about some Texas Commems has has squirreled away.

The best part of the show for me is always getting together with Board people. I was sorry to miss Catch22 and Wildjag.

I did meet up with Stuart, though, and Blade and Tonekiller came along after a few minutes. Tonekiller treated us to great Mexican food, and we talked about all sorts of things, numismatic and otherwise. Main topics of the day of general interest were the coin market (duh), the ACG lawsuit and the Legend/PCGS spat, as well as fun and benign gossip about a few of our fellow Boarders! It was a privilege to spend time with sharp, knowledgable and cheerful people such as these three! This is a fun hobby.

• Options
    Good report. image I wish I had made it to the show.

• Options
    Fun as always to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow board members! Excellent to see Stuart, dpoole and Tonekiller again.

I was a bit disappointed that my favorite dealers that sell coins in my sweet spot range of $300-$2,000 were not in attendance - Ed Hipps of Dallas, Larry Cundari of San Antonio and David Carruthers of Reno/Austin. I almost jumped on an NGC MS64 upgrade to my AU58 $2.50 type, but after some good inspection wasn't comfortable it was as original as I would have liked (toning spot was muted which is a sign of a dip and a few hairlines in the same direction made me nervous)

So I ended up spending a whopping $22. $10 on an NGC slabbed 1963 PR68 CAM 10c that is bright blue toning on the outside and DCAM devices on the inside. Would be DCAM if the toning had not turned some of the letters dark, but it is that cool neon blue in a ring. I have no idea why it was priced so cheap - not AT as I've seen this tonign before. It's in one of the old NGC slabs from the mid-90's so comfortable it won't turn in the holder. Will post a pic someday. Also $12 on a $10 roll of Texas state quarters. Cheaper than the mint and no shipping! I'm going to crack it open and pass then out at work.

Hope to see a lot of the Texas board members at the next big TX show - probably the next Money Show in Houston.
    Tom

• Options
    Here's my new 1883-CC ANACS MS-64 DMPL Morgan from Austin Coin Show -- Preliminary Photos...

imageimage

Stuart

• Options

"$12 on $10 Texas state quarter rolls." D or P? I saw $12 for the Ds and $14 for the Ps

Jerry
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It's nice to read these coin show posts, it's the next best thing to being there, good job on that ANACS coin Stuartimage---BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Thanks BigE!!

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file