Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PM function: it's use, it's usefullness with the hobby and the forum. But, do you use it??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of the most useful features of the PCGS Forums for me is the Private Message function. It really makes it easy to communicate while staying on site and has helped me get answers to coin related questions almost in the blink of an eye. It's also served to guard confidences and settle misunderstandings privately, something that I think newcomers may overlook.

I recall some time ago that a member started a thread to compare number of replies vs. PM's and at the time many seemed to have close to equal totals. I thought about that the other day and finally went to check and got a little chuckle out of it. It seems I've used the function with 410 members and sent a total of 6,688 PM's with a shocking 762 going to cacheman!!!image

Who else uses the function more than they post?? if clw54 PM's at the same ratio as me he must never sleep!!image

al h.image

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I rarely use PM.
  • Options
    I use it quite a bit. I've got 2185 messages with one person!

I've also got one bass turd blocked!!!...image
  • Options
    I've cleared my PM history a couple of times. 20,000+ PMs. Geez! No wonder I never have time to post... image
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    543 posts & 297 PM's. I enjoy the PM feature and appreciate it for many of the same reasons you mentioned.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Ben

2,185 messages with one person!!!Geeezuuz, have you guys ever met??

al h.image
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    40 PMs to 132 posts. I've bought some nice coins and picked up some invaluable knowledge through PMs.

Eric
  • Options
    Without looking, I'd guess I'm about 50/50 posting vs. PM

Very handy function, indeed!
  • Options
    127 messages in my message box. Wonder how many of you folks communicate on AIM... :: adds a PCGS Board section to his AIM ::

My AIM SN is... BZDrag

Feel free to add and IM me and whatnot. Just lemme know who you are, if you do, so I can assign the name with an alias.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    14585 total, with 1538 to one person image

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>2,185 messages with one person!!!Geeezuuz, have you guys ever met?? >>

Not yet, but we will at Pittsburgh....image...He's buying the beer!!!!
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    I use it all the time.

Jim
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Use it some. I get PM'd more than I PM others. 441 PM's total.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I clean mine out all the time, last time I had over 5K to one person! and even after all that he still sucks!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I just looked, about 1000 over two years. Although a lot of them are buy/sell situations with one or the other of us saying "you got it yet?"
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7090 PM's

929 to Boiler...with a few others close behind

35 to a pugnacious free thinker named Keets... image

J
  • Options
    I use it way too much, I don't post as much as I like to though.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I cleared it several months ago and had 11 or 12,000 Pm's versus less than 10,000 posts. I have cleared it once or twice since then and presently have 980.

I use it quite a bit!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I guess I'm like a few above where I've cleared the cache a few times, and still have 9k PM's. I probably PM to post at a 5:1 ratio.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
  • Options
    164 PMs with 39 people over 2 years. I would not have guessed it was that many.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pm's are great for keeping the threads unclutterec with off topic and topical things
    which would be of no interest to others. They're also great for clarifying positions
    and defusing possible problems. While I generally avoid them except as necessary
    they are critical to the smooth and harmonius functioning of the boards.

I always consider them critical and go straight to them unless I'm more than two pages
    back in any forum.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have a total of 15,380 PMs in my history!image

Ajaan - 4176
    Spinaker2000 - 1824
    Cacheman - 1338
    Lordmarcovan - 1301
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I have used and enjoyed it.image
  • Options
    I have 2520 PM's total with 3 bastids blocked.image
  • Options
    I don't have anyone blocked, not even the few people here I hate!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    About 10,000 PM's with 200+ members, but I also chat with several by phone and in person. In retrospect, I post publicly far less than I chat off the boards.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>About 10,000 PM's with 200+ members, but I also chat with several by phone and in person. In retrospect, I post publicly far less than I chat off the boards. >>

You are quiet in person too!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    You have a total of 9362 message(s) in your private message history.

xxx Jun 24, 2004 12:55 PM 3130
    xxx Jun 23, 2004 12:26 PM 822
    xxx Jun 22, 2004 10:40 PM 668
    xxx Jun 16, 2004 9:01 PM 795

I've never cleared it out since I have been here.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    1342 messages with 128 members. 3 of whom are no longer with usimage
    I forget it's there because I usually don't log on.
  • Options
    I have 1291 right now with 106 people. So about 3/1 posts to pms.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 5000 PMs. So... about 50/50.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets,

The PM function is great....but, there are some old morons who don't realize that PM stands for PRIVATE message and they like to take things out of context and post them in regular threads to garner self-pity and sympathy.

Other than that....I love the PM function.....better than email at times and very useful.....especially to figure things out with a cool head instead of ego posting and for using with the BST forum.

Very useful thing.
    Too bad I had to block one ignorant fool....other than that, PM has proven quite useful to talk out misunderstandings so it wasn't a "last word in public" thing that had an ego going.

edited to add: 843 PMs to whatever my posts are (1246 or so)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    3248 PMs with 130 members, 3 of whom are no longer with us (and several more of whom are alternate IDs). I also use it when I want to talk smack. I also have my top PM buddies in my buddy list.image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Monkey man, You are such a jerk!!!
  • Options
    Mr. Boichiman says: The PM function is great....but, there are some old morons who don't realize that PM stands for PRIVATE message and they like to take things out of context and post them in regular threads to garner self-pity and sympathy.

Other than that....I love the PM function.....better than email at times and very useful.....especially to figure things out with a cool head instead of ego posting and for using with the BST forum.

Very useful thing.
    Too bad I had to block one ignorant fool....other than that, PM has proven quite useful to talk out misunderstandings so it wasn't a "last word in public" thing that had an ego going.

edited to add: 843 PMs to whatever my posts are (1246 or so)

Well, let me tell you what a real moron is! It's a fool that comes on here and boo hoo's about how he just spent $100,000 more than he really could afford on a home and now wants to sell a crappy $300 coin to help pay for his mistake. How's that for trying for sympathy?

And, Mr. Bochiman, one more word out of you about me, and I'll post the whole PM you sent to me in it's entirety! Have a good day!!!
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    88 PM's to 20 different members.

It comes in handy for those questions or information that should not be in public postings.

Joe.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often enough for such things as I am looking for specific information about a coin, or a variety, but don't

think the question is of interest to the broad audience. Or perhaps I have a coin for sale that meets a members

specific area of interest. And occasionally, used for Christmas greetings etc.

Sure, I use the PM function on a regular but not constant basis.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I have about equal online posts and PMs( 1:1.5). They serve different functions. The PM # is a great underestimate of coin related private correspondance generated from the boards since PMs are often converted to straight E-mail in time.
    RSS
    Trime
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Just looked at mine and am a bit surprised. It's almost a 1:1 ratio.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    694 PM's sent. I don't use it all the time, but It's a great tool.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file