Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

San Diego coin show

BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
I see in the paper it's next weekend, Saturday and Sunday 10AM-5PM at the Scottish Rite Center in Mission Valley. I'll be there one of those days.
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there.
  • Options
    Great!!! I have to be there on business Thursday - Saturday. I'll have to come by before heading back to LA

Anyone got info on where the location is at?

Thanks
    Michael
  • Options
    1895 Camino Del Rio South
    San Diego, California 92108-3683
    Phone: (619) 293-4888
    Toll Free: 1-800-726-8999
    Fax: (619) 297-2751

• Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    That's just fantastic. I have to play Weekend Warrior this weekend upstate. Is PCGS going to be there? Or do they only go to the big shows?
  • Options
    PCGS won't be there. It's not a big enough show. Surprisingly, San Diego doesn't have a big coin show. If they did, the Convention Center would be a good place to have it.
  • Options
    This show is the biggest there is in San Diego, but not big enough for PCGS and NGC. According to the paper there will be about 50 dealers there.

• Options
    Even better!! I'll be staying on Hotel Circle South!!!

Michael
  • Options
    Are the dealers at these types of shows selling coins at TRUE dealer buy prices or are you getting middle-manned like crazy there..? i would like to be able to find a show where i can spend a few thousand dollars on a variety of low or midgrade keydates that i could actually make a DECENT profit on. but it has to be worth my while for travel expense, etc

also does anyone know how to find a show on the east coast?
  • Options

<< <i>Are the dealers at these types of shows selling coins at TRUE dealer buy prices or at jacked up, "wholesale prices" ,which are actually more like retail..? i would like to be able to find a show where i can spend a few thousand dollars on a variety of keydates that i could actually make a DECENT profit on.

also does anyone know how to find a show on the east coast? >>

No, they buy at retail and sell at wholesale!image
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    ^^^^ to my understanding there are actually 3 levels of coin marketing, 1- the people who sell to dealers, 2- the dealers who sell to the dealers (like at these shows), and then, the dealers who sell at retail (the people shopping at the shows)........ corect me if im wrong
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there on Saturday. The show is held at the Scottish Rite Center which, Frattlaw, will most likely be on the same street and a short walk from your hotel. The show is not as big as some that held in the LA area, but its the biggest one San Diego has. I think it is a very "collector friendly" show. They have activities for kids, and an auction. Unfortunately, I blew most of my wad at the last Long Beach show, so I'll probably just be looking for a few proof sets, mint cents, or circulated Lincolns. A friend of mine has an 11-year-old daughter who likes darkside coins, and this will be her first coin show.
    Matt
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Cool, then everyone can stop by my new shop on their way down or after the shop. It is in Temecula, which is off the 15 freeway north of Escondido. image

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, then everyone can stop by my new shop on their way down or after the shop. It is in Temecula, which is off the 15 freeway north of Escondido >>

Great, mapquest it and I'll be there! maybe even Thursday on my way down to San Diego.

Michael
  • Options
    Our one and only San Diego coin show. I'll be there.
    Bill
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    <<Cool, then everyone can stop by my new shop on their way down or after the shop. It is in Temecula, which is off the 15 freeway north of Escondido.>>

What is the address I live in Escondido I can come by anytimeimage
    When your open that is.image

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    Looks like a good turnout. We should have a meeting time there.
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone has fun and finds some good coins. I'll be leaving for the ANA summer seminar that Saturday so I won't be attending this year.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    The shop will be in Old Town Temecula at the Hitching Post. The address is 28480 Store B, Old Town Front Street, Temecula, CA 92590. It is on the front of the main street....between 6th and 5th street.

Sorry, not sure how to mapquest the location.

I should be fully open this Wednesday...with two grand opening ceremonies on the 2,3,4 of July and 9, 10, 11 of July...donuts and coffee/tea.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS won't be there. It's not a big enough show >>

I'm a board member of the council that runs the show. I was gonna send a bourse application to David Hall just for the heck of it to see if I could cajole him in to coming to SD for a weekend of fun....but then it slipped my mind.

I should be there most of Saturday...and we'll see what Sunday brings. We've got several dealers we haven't had before, which I think is a good thing...we needed some fresh blood in the show.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't miss it. I'll be there on Saturday. Come up and say Hi....

Onlyroosies
    Nick
  • Options

<< <i>Even better!! I'll be staying on Hotel Circle South!!! >>

What hotel ?? Party in Fratt's room....woo hoo....image
  • Options

<< <i>What hotel ?? Party in Fratt's room....woo hoo.... >>

There's one already planned!!!!

Actually I'm sponsoring a Happy Hour for one of my insurance clients @ Seau's in Mission Valley on Friday.

Michael

• Options
    Seau's it is !!!

Come on you San Diegans...let's crash it. We can all pretend to be the "ugly" side of the Fratt family !!
  • Options
    I'll be down at my fiance's on Saturday in Rancho Bernardo. Maybe I can talk her in to going for just a couple of hours or so.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options

<< <i>We can all pretend to be the "ugly" side of the Fratt family >>

Where did you get the idea that there's a "pretty" side to my family?

(Well okay -- my wife is beautiful. image)

Michael
  • Options
    oops...
  • Options
    bump....doors open at 10:00 tomorrow morning...
  • Options
    Spoke to my fiance and she wants to go so we'll be there for a couple of hours on Saturday. Just look for the couple with a big height difference. (I'm 6 feet, she's 4' 11".)

Hope to meet some of you there.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Do you guys want to meet somewhere. I'll probably be there around 1:00. Probably won't make it much earlier than that.
    Bill
  • Options
    I think we might actually be graced by an appearence by the Great Feldolini as well.

I'll be there @ 10. Look for a guy wearing a Mirage blue baseball cap.

Michael
  • Options
    Everybody focus on Fratt's blue Mirage cap and we'll zero in on him....

I know of Fratt, Feldolini, onlyroosies, braddick, SD Collector, woodwind, and claw showing up as well as me.

Unfortunately...if I remember the set up correctly...there's no real good place to sit down and chat...except outside the bourse hall...but we'll figure something out.
  • Options
    I'll be there about 10am looking for high grade Buffalos.

Paul
  • Options
    I'm 5'7" with brown hair parted down the middle.

And no, I'm not my user icon.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Clw54 is being extremely modest - he looks exactly like his icon.image
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    A Few Raw Newps from today's San Diego Show

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to miss the show. At the last Minute a friend from out of down dropped in and I was
    forced to play golf all day. image
  • Options
    I was there from 11 to 12 yesterday. There were quite a few people there. I was mainly looking for inexpensive Jeffersons for my Dansco. I found them in one dealers bargain box. I picked out a dozen all still in the mint celophane for 10 bucks. Dates were from 1959 to 1981. I'm sure I could have found more if I had kept digging.

I saw a few nice Washingtons, but not many. One dealer from here in San Diego had a 2X2 box filled with flips with 90 percent of the coins from the 30's. He had 10 to 15 32S's, more than I've ever seen in one place. The grades ranged from AU to BU, all were marked choice to gem BU with roughly the same price on each. One in particular cught my eye and I was really tempted to pull out the plastic, but you just never can tell what PCGS would grade it. I think it had a definite shot at 63, but with my luck PCGS would have given it an AU58. i'm going to have to pay a visit to his shop considering iot's only a couple blocks from my house.

I did notice on the few Washingtons I looked at that many of the dealers were very liberal on the grades.

• Options
    Had the pleasure of seeing Claw, FrattLaw, and finally meeting Mark Feld.

Only picked up a couple things, but it was refreshing to see a solid turnout on Saturday. Sunday was slow, as expected, but still a steady flow of folks.

Thanks to all who came.
  • Options
    Paigowjohnny,

Excellent show with good attendance. Congrats.
    Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file