Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the chances ANACS will make good on a grade guarantee?

I bought a MS66 1922 Peace and felt it was a 65. I took it to the show and asked a few people what they thought - 65. I even took it to the ANACS table with the grade covered - he said 65, then I showed him the 66 and he said "but it's nice".

imageimage

This wouldn't be a big deal except the price difference between a 65 and 66 Peace is huge. Would they really honor a grade guarantee?

1 Tassa-slap
2 Cam-Slams!
1 Russ POTD!

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    dunno, but your comparing what's supposed to be a consensus grade vs. a verbal at a show. is that a fair comparison?

K S
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I don't know what's fair. All I'm saying that 99% of the people on this board would call this coin a 65. The ANACS grader himself called it a 65.

Would they actually downgrade the coin and pay the difference, or would I just be handing them $25 to reholder it for me and keep pretending it's a 66?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they are like NGC and give the grade a bump when there is nice eye appeal?
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong - it's an attractive coin, but not what I expected in a 66. Unless I'm wrong, ANACS adheres to the ANA standards without any such bumps for "appeal".
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

Did you pay 66 money for the coin?

My experience is that they might make good on the grading guarantee. Just ask them first. If they say no, then you should make excellent images of the coin in the holder. Then submit the coin raw to ANACS. It will come back 65. Make more images. Send it in one more time. It will come back 65. Make more images. Then, when at a show with plenty of customers around, take everything to the ANACS table. They will probably take care of you then. But first, call them and try to reason with them.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    I paid about $260 for the coin (a 65 ANACS Peace might sell for $60-$90).
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    hold on a sec. did you buy the coin because you LIKE it? or for the PRICE? or upgrade potential???

what was the motivating factor for buying the coin if you don't even seem to like it???

K S
  • Options
    Bought it online. Bought it because I wanted a 66 Peace and for no other reason. I still want a 66 Peace.

I could just peddle it on the Bay of E and probably get out of it what I spent on it and be done with it, but my damned conscience would bother me knowing that the buyer wouldn't be happy with it whether he said anything or not.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

baccaruda, you are thinking in the proper manner. Taking it off of the market would be the right thing to do. ANACS has an obligation to make this right. Give 'em a call. They are very nice guys and will probably help you.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    gotcha. well in that case, sounds like the jade boyz got the right idea. i've never quibbled w/ anacs over grades in particular, but in talking at shows, seem like extremely reasonable folks.

actually, did have an argument over a couple of graded buffalos a long time back, but it would sound like a pcgs bash, so i won't get into it. basically, i lost that particular argument.

btw, from your digi-pics, that looks like a danged nice coin to me. good luck!

K S
  • Options
    I agree with just about every ANACS grade I have - and some appear undergraded, which is why I decided to buy an ANACS certified Peace.

Unfortunately, this one doesn't meet the standards I was expecting. My luck - it would have to be the most expensive coin I own.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll talk to them about it.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " Bought it online. "

From whom, was there no return policy?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    It was a private collector, not a dealer. He didn't list a return policy and I didn't expect one. I tried to convince myself it was a 66 for a while, but we all know that's not possible...

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file