Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for Downgoesfrazier

Hi DGF,

I know you follow and participate in the 1977 Topps market, love those 10's in your sig line. I just auctioned off a 1977 Topps Bruce Sutter PSA 8 and was a little surprised at the 2x SMR finish.

My question is this, is the 1977 Topps PSA 8 market really that strong or was this just a case of two bidders going after the same card?

The reason I'm asking is that I haven't really followed cards in that area, but I do have a few other 77 rookies that would grade in PSA 8, but haven't sent them in because I didn't think it was worth it. If PSA 8 prices in this year are consistently going at SMR or higher, I might just send them in.

Thanks,

Scott Jeanblanc
jeanblanc@iconnect.net
Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
------------------------------------------
Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I'm not DGF, but I've been looking at Sutter for a while. First, SMR is about as accurate as Beckett. In any given auction, results can be off by a mile. But Sutter's card is strong right now because a lot of people, including me, assume he's going into the Hall of Fame in the next couple years, so they want to pick up his RC now. I don't know if other 1977 RCs are trending the same way. Dale Murphy's probably not in, and Andre Dawson is a toss-up.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Scott,
    Like many markets, 1977 is thinly traded and quite volatile. Sutter RC cards typically do pretty well. Overall, I would say that the best way to think about a submission of 1977 topps baseball would be (as of today)...
    7's or below: ...worthless. They will cost you whatever you paid for the card AND the grading fee as a whole.
    8's: generally between 2-5 dollars depending on the regional collectors that happen to be surfing eBay that week.
    9's: You can generally expect to make about $5 per card over your grading fees and shipping, etc. There are many exceptions as regional/team collectors will push certain issues to insanity. For instance "pantsmanfish" will take a card to hundreds of dollars if it says METS on it and he needs it. After he gets his, the price drops to under twenty bucks. There are two idiots on eBay right now bidding college tuitions on Yankees. In most cases, those same cards can be had for FRACTIONS of what they're paying in a couple of months. When looking to make money on this or any issue with commons timing is everything.
    10's: crapshoot, but generally between 50-75 bucks a pop. The regional stars/team set guys will pay a premium here and the relative value goes up seemingly exponentially (sp?).
    For Dawson's, Murphy's, and the like 8's do quite well and are absolutely worthwhile to have authenticated and assessed by PSA prior to selling.
    Hope this helps--gotta scoot,
    dgf
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses Helionaut and Downgoesfrazier,

I not looking to get rich here, these are cards that I have had since I was a kid so their cost to me is neglible, so the real cost is the grading fee. The Sutter RC was one that I had sent to PSA 3 years ago as part of my, lets see how PSA grades these test. I had totally forgetten I even had it until a week ago when I was scraping up some cards for sale. I was really thinking that the card would have a hard time exceeding $10 in PSA 8 form, so I was pleasently surprised by the final outcome. Hadn't really thought about his potential as a HOF, but with Eckersley getting in, its possible.

I have in ungraded form several of the Dale Murphy, Andre Dawson, and Jack Morris rookies that should grade PSA 8 or better. Which I think I will send in if another grading special presents itself.

Thanks,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Scott,
    I'm collecting the set in 8's, now #5 on the registry, here are some prices that I've paid for stars which include shipping: #650 Ryan - $40 (bought from a board member off eBay); B. Robinson $14.56;
    Carew $12.99; Jackson $18.18; Brock $10.57; Brett $27.00; Seaver $12.55; Stargell, Fisk, & Madlock $8.xx each; Rose $22.50; Bench $ 10.50; Yax $16.49 A group of Schmidt, Palmer, Brett Bros, McCovey, Dw. Evans , & Fergie Jenkins $54.03; Ryan RB , Eck, & Petrocelli $53.80

These aren't definitive but in researching completed auctions most are in the ballpark (ex-Bench). Hope this helps some.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    i just had dawson and murphy rcs end tonight. both were very decently centered 8s (from my experience, dawson's are pretty hard to find well centered and not diamond cut). i was a little surprised by the dawson, thought it would've ended a little higher. i was happy with the murphy, i think i paid about 20 for it a year ago (about 40 for the andre).

DAWSON

MURPHY
  • Options
    Thanks Magellen and CADILLACN97,

Looks like Ryan and Rose are fairly strong and the others are all over the map. Still not bad prices if you can get the cards graded for $5 during a special.

Those were definitely nice looking PSA 8's in the Dawson and Murphy. I would have thought the Dawson would have been closer to the Murphy, but I think there is a strong Murphy following out there. I recall at least a couple regular board posters that collect him.

Thanks for the input,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    --------------------------------------

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    it's really all timing, I sold 2 dawsons about 6 weeks ago for $32 on ebay. i listed with a lot of other 77's . psa 8's and 9's , at the same time which may have attracted more attention.