Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay seller question......Help please w/ buyer problem

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭
Hello People-

I need some advice please. Yesterday I sold a coin on eBay for $656. This morning I get an email from the buyer stating he is sorry and embarassed but due to his recent auctions falling short he does not have the funds to pay for the coin. He states he will pay listing fees if I can't find another buyer for the coin. As many of you know we pay eBay a final value fee as well as listing fees. What would you do at this point? If he pays all my fees would you let it go?? I'm not even sure what the fees are yet for the auction. If I send a second chance offer I will be charged final value fees again right??? This is a new one on me so your input is highly appreciated!!

Thanks, M.image

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Do a second chance offer to the underbidder (send them the email from the top bidder). Ask the top bidder to pay the difference in what you receive or the fees, whichever is greater.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd e-mail him & tell him that his bid is a contract that he is obligated to follow through with. If he doesn't pay then he will be reported
    to eBay as a non-paying bidder. People like him need to realize eBay is not for entertainment purposes. I realize things happen but
    he's not bidding on a $10 coin here. He made a large obligation at $656. Let him eat a NPB report as a lesson.

If he still decides not to pay, then I'd do the NPB report & do a 2nd chance offer.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd make a second chance offer to the underbidder. I did this once and the underbidder was thrilled. Then I would definitely block the original high bidder from bidding in my auctions in the future. If you file a NPB report, you will get negative feedback, almost guaranteed. If you ask him to pay the fees for you, I bet he will say OK and then not send anything. That is because he's bankrupt.

• Options

Ebay at your risk. The binding contract is just BS. For a seasoned con, that makes nothing. Nothing will be investigated by Ebay or Squaretrade. It is not like an apartment lease where your credit history can be screwed up.

I would advise you to make a second chance offer to the underbidder and take the listing fee from the bankrupt guy
  • Options
    I don't understand why someone would bid on a higher dollar auction like this and not be prepared to pay. The guys feedback is nearly perfect with 150+ feedbacks. Go figure? I'm glad I don't do this for a living. Thanks for the advice. I really don't want negative feedback aimed at me but I really need to warn other sellers. I'll have to think about this.

M
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Same thing happened to me. You could make a second chance offer to the second highest bidder and that is a good idea IF the second highest bidders bid is close to the highest bidder.

You will have to file a non paying buyers report to get credited for the final value fees from the first bidder. And that is time consuming as you have to jump through certain deadline hoops.

By the way, who was the non-paying bidder?

Jim
  • Options
    eBay auction # 3905895018
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    call me crazy but that bidder deserves and has earned a negative feedback if he/she does not follow through and that is no matter if he/she pays your fees.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    offer him a layaway plan

K S
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Here's what I would do:

Accept his offer to pay your listing fees.

File the Final Value Fee Credit with eBay, select mutually agreed not to complete transaction.

Don't leave any feedback for this bidder.

Block this bidder.

Relist the coin.

Obviously this is a hot coin for the Lincoln guys, and you could very well get more for it the second time around. It's just not worth getting into an ugly situation with this guy.
  • Options
    I would email the bidder and ask why they bid if they didn't have the money - and find out reason (could be lie - could be true). Bidder's remorse is not an uncommon thing . . . Maybe they had put it into a snipe program and forgot about it and something truly 'did' come up. With such good feedback rating, it is uncanny that they bidder has done this. HOWEVER, in the meantime, the first thing I would do is offer the 2nd highest bidder a 'second chance' offer - Don't hesitate on this as the longer you wait - the less chance they will buy the coin.

I would also tell the non-paying bidder that you will let them out of the auction ONLY if the 2nd chancer buys the coin, they pay all fees plus a restocking fee - AND leaves you raving feedback IMMEDIATELY, to avoid a later retaliatory feedback from them if you later decide to neg him. As far as layaway, I would only do this with 60% down (or so), and/or not less than 3 or 4 payments max. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. In the future be sure to put the following in your auctions. I learned not to leave it out - it does help: NO DEADBEATS. DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT INTEND TO PAY. YOUR BID IS YOUR CONTRACT TO PURCHASE.

I would then definitely report him to eBay and leave neg feedback as he has done this before - and other honest eBay Sellers need to know about people like this: See previous feedback below:

Never returned emails. Bid, but never paid. Bad buyer. Seller eshukan( 2068) Oct-16-01 12:26 1282385714

Edited to add: If you do relist the coin, be sure to email all of the previous bidders to let them know the situation, and that the coin is again up for auction.
  • Options
    image K6AZ

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image K6AZ

Dan >>

]image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that none of you would NEG this guy?

That is why ebay's feedback system is a joke. The guy bids and refuses to complete the deal. He deserves and has earned a negative to warn others that he may just play games with them too.

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I agree with goose, he deserves a Neg!!!

• Options
    This has happened to me. I pointed out that I have the final value fee as well as listing fees. I mentioned I could get them back by filing a Non Paying Bidder form. The bidder said he would be happy to pay all fees and wanted to avoid the NPB. I relisted the item and it was bid higher the second time.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    At least the person told you pretty quickly they could not pay.
    I would neg someone who lied and said they mailed the payment and string me along for two weeks waiting.
  • Options
    Goose, if this guy didn't pay and didn't respond, then yes he would deserve a negative. However, he contacted the seller right after the auction and offered to cover his fees. I just don't see the point here, and dropping a neg on someone is bound to not only get you a retaliatory, but could lead to other unpleasant incidents. On a hot coin like this, it isn't worth it.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    K6AZ has the right idea !!!

As much as everyone may want eBay to be a professional coin dealer venue, it is NOT and NEVER will be !!!

You cannot take these incidents too seriously. Just do what you can to protect yourself.

Joe.
  • Options
    Geez....thanks for all the response guys! You all are such a help. I've decided to send a 2nd chance offer because I know the under bidder has been a strong buyer in the series and I am only a collector who needs this kind of money!!. I am demanding the winner pay all the fees (final value and listing). As far as feedback goes, I am going to let this play out and see how he handles it. I am leaning toward a neutral at best, and that's if he follows through on everything. I still don't believe his bidding. He's also a seller which defies reason?? I'll post updates.

Thanks again everyoneimage
  • Options
    Here's a buyer's perspective. Before you flame me, read the whole story:

I bid on an auction where the seller mistakenly said in their description that the serial numbers on a dollar bill were mismatched (Very rare error!) I bid on the item, without checking the picture. After I won the item, upon closer inspection of the scan, I realized that the serial numbers were indeed the same, and the person was wrong in their description. So the person who had the dollar bill in their home was unable to tell this, but I was able to figure it out by zooming in on the scan? You tell me if it was selective ignorance on the part of the seller, or not.

Anyways, I emailed the seller saying I was not going to buy the item, but I would be willing to compensate them for the listing and final value fees. I said we were both mistaken, but they could leave me negative feedback, but in reality, the auction description was false. I was partially at fault, since I should have checked the picture more carefully. The seller sent me a snyde reply saying essentially "Keep your money." I thought I was being fair and polite in saying I would send them a check for the fees. There would have been no loss for the seller.

OK, so the circumstances surrounding that auction were different, but I think if a buyer is willing to make good on the fees at least, give them a try. Don't file the Non-bidding report immediately. Offer the coin to the underbidder, or accept the relisting and final value fees from the buyer. Ebay is NOT a toy, I agree, but sometimes people make mistakes. Sometimes it's not wise to shoot from the hip.

Contact the underbidder. If no reply in 24 hours, tell the high bidder you want him to Paypal you the listing and final value fees within 48 hours. If he refuses, file the report. I think this is your best course of action. Give him the chance to make good on it, but insist on those timelines being met.
    Tim
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to hammer him to the cross,not everyone is a crook on ebay.
    I would follow K6AZ advice.
    Al
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Some good points made:

Offer a layaway (if that works for you. If not, then skip this suggestion)

Have the winning bidder pay your listing fees, and be done with them. Offer the coin to the underbidder, or relist the coin, and file for your final value fee credit.

Stuff like this isn't worth getting all bent out of shape about. Move on, and find a decent bidder for the coin.

That's the simplest solution, and will keep your blood pressure down, and a smile on your face.

Good luck!
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I agree that the bidder DESERVES a neg, but whether you should actually neg him at this point is a different question.

This is a flaw in the eBay feedback system. A neg almost always results in a retaliatory neg, and serves as a disincentive for the bidder to make good on his bid, or his promise to cover your fees. I'm going through this right now with an eBay transaction. I haven't left a neg because I'm trying to work things out and get my money. I've filed all the appropriate complaints, but nobody would know that by looking at his feedback profile.

Basically, whether you leave negative feedback depends on whether you're prepared to take at least a small loss on fees, and whether you're prepared for a retaliatory negative.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many times this bidder has done this in the past? If he has a pattern of this type of activity, but has never been negged for it because the previous sellers just decided to let it go, there'd be no way to know.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Often, there is no way to know. Aside from feedback, maybe an eBayer has an About Me page, or if you're dealing with a seller there might be a return policy. But for the most part, it's the honor system, and some people aren't that honorable.

I've left negative feedback for exactly one eBayer. But I've had three people (all sellers) removed from eBay, none of whom I gave a negative.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I would say neg him, but of course I am going through the same thing myself with a bidder with 0 feedback that never even responded to any of my mails or phone callsimage However, he did contact you and offered to pay your fees. I'd take him up on that, block him from any of my future auctions, give him a neutral and see if the under bidder will make the purchase.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image K6AZ

Dan >>

image >>

Just my opinion.....

Dennis
  • Options
    aem4162aem4162 Posts: 421
    i was able to get a 2nd chance offer on a coin that i wanted (the seller emailed me and explained what happened) and i got a really beautiful coin out of it
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    Do you think explanations should come with second chance offers? I gave three second chance offers for items I had duplicates of. Two people accepted it and one wanted to haggel and I told them no. I think the one who did not accept thought the winner backed out and he was in the cat bird seat.
  • Options
    Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    K6AZ has the right idea !!!

DITTO
    Larry
  • Options
    The bidder has offered to pay my fees, both final and listing via Paypal....I'm still waiting for payment. I'll update when news occurs. Man you all sure have some strong opinions!! I appreciate your input because this seems to be a shared problem.

Mimage
  • Options
    Just rec'd payment for fees plus $5 for my trouble........now the next step begins......FEEDBACK......I'm leaning towards no feedback. But do I owe the Ebay community a warning? I just lost out on a payment of $650+. No harm no foul? As I stated I am not a dealer but a collector so this is big money to a small guy like me. But it's not like I have to sell the Farm. Chapter 2 begins.....or ends ......I think I should just close the book on this eBay chapter. No word from the under-bidder on my 2nd chance offer.

M.image
  • Options
    In order to collect your Final Value Fee credit, you MUST complete a Non-Paying Bidder Alert. When you file a NPB report you have several options. Select Both parties mutually agreed not to complete the transaction.

Request a Final Value Fee Credit
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I had this happen, and it was I who backed out due to circumstances beyond my control. I paid his fees, and also thru him a $$ bone to make it right.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    At least this guy was man enough to immediately get in contact with you and admit he made a mistake. I wouldn't leave any feedback for him.

Bad feedback doesn't affect buyers much. They can always snipe an auction, and there is nothing you can do about it. At this point I would consider it case closed, and sell the coin to the underbidder or relist it.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I would charge him all the ebay fee's plus $30 for all the hassle you have to go through. I have had this happen a half a dozen times and the bidder decided to pay the full amount a few of the times and the others were happy to be let off as well. mike image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file