Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS PR68 Barber on eBay

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3905617838&category=11971 >>

Wasn't the consensus that this probably was a scam? First auction was removed due to an "error" and is now back up.
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    In the first auction, he had a serial # of 30039282, which comes up as nothing in the PCGS database. This auction he has 30039283, (one number different), which does come up as a 68CAM 1898 Barber.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I'll bid again - lets see what the seller does THIS time.image
  • Options
    I just sent him an eMail asking for an image that includes the PCGS holder. If he's legit, somebody could get a real bargain.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I don't understand why people have to monkey with the images in the first place.
    Why not take a picture of the slab and all, then a closeup or two?
    Wouldn't that be easier and make folks feel more at ease?

Good luck, Mark. If you end up with it, I hope you don't get burned and this is a true winner.

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    Update - the seller contacted me and provided me with information/proof concerning his legitimate ownership of the coin. I confirmed the information and am comfortable that he is truly the owner of the coin.
  • Options
    Awesome Mark! It's a beautiful coin, good luck!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Thanks ddink, but, based upon what he told me he paid for it and wants for it, I don't think I'll end up getting it.image
  • Options
    Another update - I guess he didn't like it that I declined his offer to sell it to me for $20,000 plus. I see that he deleted my bid and wrote: "Explanation: coin dealer who wants to buy cheap and sell high" image Well, he showed me and in doing so, negatively affected bidding for his own coin.image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another update - I guess he didn't like it that I declined his offer to sell it to me for $20,000 plus. I see that he deleted my bid and wrote: "Explanation: coin dealer who wants to buy cheap and sell high" image Well, he showed me and in doing so, negatively affected bidding for his own coin.image >>

And look who's bidding now! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Awesome looking coin! I wonder if something like that would sell better with Heritage... maybe in one of their Signature sales.

Dan
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Update - the seller contacted me and provided me with information/proof concerning his legitimate ownership of the coin. I confirmed the information and am comfortable that he is truly the owner of the coin. >>

So, you were wrong?

• Options

<< <i>So, you were wrong? >>

In a word, yes.
  • Options
    Seller cancels Mark's bid because he thinks Mark is trying to get it cheap, yet this is a no reserve auction. I wonder if this one will get cancelled at the last second.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i> I wonder if this one will get cancelled at the last second. >>

I bet it does. Reserve on a $20,000 coin would cost the seller a $200 listing fee, so he is probably just planning on continuing to cancel each auction at the last minute. Surely this must be against ebay's rules?
  • Options

<< <i>Surely this must be against ebay's rules? >>

Correct. It's called fee avoidance. It is up to $16,600 with a couple days to go, though. Maybe it'll hit $20K.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    imageimage
    imageimage
    JoeCool
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For shame! Mark, a dealer trying to sell something for more than he paid for it - and here I thought you were one of the good guys. Oh, the humanity of it all! How could you possibly do such a low thing as to buy a coin on Ebay and make a profit on it? Just what was it that made you sink to such a LOWLY state image
  • Options
    $20k is not going to get it done.
    I paid more for it!!!
    $22750.00 and I will throw in a few beanie babies.
  • Options

<< <i>$20k is not going to get it done.
    I paid more for it!!!
    $22750.00 and I will throw in a few beanie babies. >>

So, if it doesn't hit $22,750 you will do what? Cancel the auction? Why not use a reserve?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I will avail my Fifth Amendment rights at the present time.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Boy I wish I had the dough to spring on that one!

Any chance we could see some more pics of it, Cleon?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    my camera will not properly display the exquisite beauty of this
    coin. It is well worth the grade it attained. PCGS does not throw
    out grades like this out of habit. I offer an unconditional 48 hour
    money back guarantee if for any reason you are not satified
    with the coin. I am convinced that in 3 months $22750.00
    will be considered a bargain price.
  • Options

<< <i>Any chance we could see some more pics of it >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Problem is that when you blow up the picture it distorts the image.
    The toning on the coin is more of a bluish tint with golden highlights.
    It is a beautiful contrast with the deep mirrored polish.
    The more that I look at it, the more I am convinced that $22750.00
    is way underpriced. Spoken like a true salesman LOL
  • Options
    How does one "avail" their fifth amendment rights? You do realize that if you cancel all bids on the coin ONCE AGAIN you will be in violation of ebay's rules--it will set a clear record of fee avoidance (you know, you avoiding the $227 reserve fee). Once they may see as an anomoly, but I doubt they will believe that twice there was "an error in the listing" that you discovered in the last five seconds of the auction.

EDIT: BTW, it's a BEAUTIFUL coin. I think you would be more likely to get more out of it by sending it to Heritage or some place that can sell it for you at a major coin show. I think that abusing eBay's system isn't the right way to go.
  • Options
    I paid more for it!!!

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
  • Options
    The more I observe the true beauty of this coin, the more
    I might be inclined to keep her.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>The more I observe the true beauty of this coin, the more
    I might be inclined to keep her. >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am not enthralled with Heritage. I have been an ebay member in good standing since 1998 and follow all their rules and regulations.
    Since obviously you like the coin, why don't you consider purchasing it.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    With all of the premier auction houses available,

plus the ability to have a major coin dealer sell the coin for

a reasonable commission, something doesnt feel right about this.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    There is nothing reasonable about paying a 20% commission
    especially with the collusion that abounds in this industry.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The Goldbergs and Superior will allow you to place a buy back minimum

with no cost to you.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OT:

Cleon as in my teenage hero Cleon Jones of the Mets?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    5002_1898halfpcpf68cam
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    It is a gorgeous coin. What ever the price is set at!!!!

Tom
  • Options
    all my uniforms have # 21 on them, and it is not because
    of Roberto Clemente LOL
  • Options

<< <i>I am not enthralled with Heritage. I have been an ebay member in good standing since 1998 and follow all their rules and regulations. >>

You cancelling bids at the last minute then relisting the coin is NOT following their rules and regulations.

<< <i>Since obviously you like the coin, why don't you consider purchasing it. >>

I would consider it, assuming I had $22,000.

My point was simply that you are MUCH more likely to sell it for your desired price if people can see it in "real life" and know it's going through a well-known consignor or dealer. I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY I'd spend $22,000 on a coin off the internet from someone I don't know. I think many potential buyers are similarly shy of bidding for that reason as well. Super valuable coins typically don't do well on eBay.
  • Options
    Well this one will, If I decide to sell it. LOL
    I am in the phone book and will be glad to give out my name
    and telephone number.
  • Options
  • Options
    This coin is still available for $22500.00.
    If interested, please contact me @ (732) 446-5725
    Simon Dratler or by e-mail
    simplysimon99@aol.com
  • Options
    I see you cancelled the auction at the last second and relisted it - again with no reserve. Gutless.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hey, Cleon:

We have a BST board for you to hawk your coins. We were previously interested in the pseudo-auction you were running and the coin, itself. The forum is now bored of your schemes, and this is an inappropriate place for you to advertise your coin. Good Luck!
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Why do you even bother to keep putting it up and canceling at the last minute?

You're just pizzing off the true collectors that have bid on this piece in your previous Auctions. After watching you cancel the auction numerous times, no serious bidder is going to continue to waste their time.

Keep your coin until the market cools.

Jim
  • Options
    This is not a scheme. I am just trying to sell the only coin
    that I own for a reasonable price, which is still much cheaper
    than you could get it from Heritage or any other major dealer.
    It has nothing to do with being gutless, only sound economics.
    It is a legitimate beautiful high end coin priced reasonably.
    I don't see the big to do here.
    Simon
  • Options
    Keep your detritus off the US coin forum.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file