Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Just bought an Edward VI base Shilling

These, IMHO, are some of the most important English coins, being the first with dates. Also, this may look like a weakly struck dog, but it's actually in the top 10% condition-wise for the issue. With the exchange rates being what they are, I paid a little more than I would have liked to but it was the nicest one I've seen in a year of searching and is one I like condition-wise. Most of these are not only weakly struck, but are on incomplete or cracked flans. This one has a nice full flan. The pic is from the seller, I don't have the coin in hand yet.

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Cool coin, Donovan.

Many of the coins from 15th and 16th century Poland (one of my collecting foci), also come in similar conditions.

It's an affect of the low-pressure roller dies in the case of Polish coinage, but I don't know anything about the British.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Polish coins usually had nice flans though, and were generally top-notch quality for their time.

Donovan, that's a killer coin!! Congrats.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a nice example and excellent addition.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, round flan on this one. image
  • Options
    Congrats, looks like a nice example.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweeet! I've always wanted an Eddie 6 coin with a date. One day I'll probably have a halfcrown or crown, when the pockets are deep enough.

That is a very nice looking example, considering others I've seen!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    And that's a tough Edward VI too-- I have an Eddie the VI, but it's the more common front-facing shilling. There is actually a movie featuring that king-- 1986's Lady Jane.
  • Options

<< <i>Sweeet! I've always wanted an Eddie 6 coin with a date. One day I'll probably have a halfcrown or crown, when the pockets are deep enough.

That is a very nice looking example, considering others I've seen! >>

Thanks. Yes, I consider it a very nice example for the base shilling type. I've been looking for one for about a year, they all have weak strikes (99.9% anyway), and it seems that 99.9% also have incomplete or cracked flans. When I saw this one with a complete round flan, I figured I better jump or it may be a long wait before I get the chance at another one. These are the types of coins that you either love or hate since they rarely come nice. I've always considered Edward VI's reign to be one of the most important numismatically. You have the whole debasement issue, postumus Henry VIII issues, the first dated english coins, the introduction of numorous denominations that would become standard english coins of the realm until decimalization, and you have a re-establishment of the sterling standard with unique reniassance 3/4 facing portraits. I'm rambling now........and have convinced myself I want an Edward VI type set.