Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Getting my first 3 1953 Topps cards from THE53KID

Hi Guys, I decided to get in some PSA graded 1953 Topps cards so that I can see if I get the "warm and fuzzys" for them. I'm getting 2 PSA 5S and 1 PSA 6 commons from THE53KID so I expect them to be really nice. I recently opened a box of the 1953 Topps Archives cards and was interested in getting some of the "real thing" in to admire. I know that I can't afford to do a set in 1953, 1955 and 1956 at the levels that I would like to. So I'm not sure what this will do to my 1955 quest. I have 30% of the 1955 set already. Perhaps I'll find myself selling the 1955s and getting 1953s instead. The 1955s market is super strong but they look alot like the 1956s. The player content is much like the 1956s also. However, I really like the different look of the 1953s and the player content has a decent amount of different players from another era. I suppose time will tell. If anyone has any info or even any cards available from the 1953 Topps set, Let me know. P.S. - My 1956 quest is still going strong and I'm having a blast putting it together. Neil

Comments

• Options
    Neil,

What's the rush? Why not just enjoy all 3 sets! Best of Luck.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Neil,
    I so bad want to get into the 53 Topps, however, the 34 Goudey's are taking up much I my card budget. I was going to do them both, but then took a step back and thought, "If I did both, what would it do to the quality of my 34 collection?" I have decided to stay with the 34's and get it to a decent level first and then I may look into the 53's. I personally believe that it's a smart move rolling into the 53's. One of the greatest sets Topps ever made, IMO.

Good luck on your adventure!

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Yeah Neil. . .I'm doing something like 20 sets - 1969 to 1984 (incl Fleer & Donruss). Suffice to say I'm not in any sort of hurry.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hey Mike, It's good to hear from you. What is your current favorate set? My new love is the 1956 Topps set but the 55s and now the 53s want a little love too. Neil
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Neil> I'm darn near done with the 72s. . .down to 19 cards and that number should cut in half when my next submission goes out. Otherwise, the next set is probably the 73T set. I just love all the action shots and the pictures are so representative of the early 70s. I'm about 27% on that and would like to end up somewhere between 8.3 and 8.4 with that set.

Otherwise, I'm picking my spots with some of the 80s sets and accumulating raw product when I can. Some highlights. . .
    - 82F I've been picking up PSA10s in the $10 range and PSA9s for about $3 per.
    - At the Sun Times show I picked up two 81D sets for a total of $50. I've gone through one of them and have to look at the other for PSA9+ quality stuff.
    - I've gone through a vending case of 82T and have about 500 mint cards sleeved up.
    - I'm half-way through going through a 6-box rack case of 84T and have been averaging between 150-200 minties per box.
    - Still have an 86T 6-box rack case just sitting around.

The way I'm doing the sets is 1969-1971 in PSA7 or better. . .1972-1977 are PSA8 or better. . .the 1978-1984 stuff in PSA9 or better. So what I'm doing is bottom feeding already-graded examples while accumulating suitable raw examples. Then I'll submit what suits me when it's convenient. The idea is to always have something inexpensive to bid on and always have cards to submit.

Mike

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Mike, Sounds like you have been busy with all of those sets. I have some near complete sets that you might be intersted in. I was real picky when I put them together. Like you, I broke down rak boxes by the score in search of the perfect cards for these sets. I think that you would be happy with them. Send me a P.M. of what sets you might be interested in and I'll tell you what I have. Neil
  • Options
    Neil,

The cards are on the way! I hope you enjoy the 53's as much as I do, just don't blame me when you get addicted! And I'll have to second the opinion that you should keep collecting all three sets. No rush, it's alot more fun to take your time and enjoy as many sets as you want.

And here's a momento to start your set:

Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Here's an interesting fact about the 53's. Someone else had mentioned this recently in another thread.

In a number of the cards the player's name is partially worked into the background. This can be noticed on the Bill Pierce card. Notice the two billboards over his right shoulder...pretty cool.
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Neil,

Your a lucky guy! Those are awesome mid grade examples of 53' Topps!
    Best of Luck again with that set.

You can never have to many 50's cards :-)

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Bruce, That is so cool! I'm glad that you posted the three cards. I'm enjoying them already. Neil
  • Options
    No problem Neil...they are on the way.

And Ray, I'm with you, you can never have enough 50's cards. In fact I'm in the process of selling off a bunch of my 60's stuff to feed my habit. In fact, my newest purchase was some 59 Fleer Ted Williams cards. How can you go wrong with a set entirely composed of the greatest hitter ever?

And if you get a chance check out my 53 set, I just found a big group of Hi number 8's. Plus got a beautiful Shantz, better than the one I had. A bunch of low pops were in the mix...I am HAPPY today! I'll try to post a picture later...
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Neil,

Are you addicted yet?

How about now??

I'll keep you in mind for anymore 53's I come across.
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Neil - Don't go any further on the 1953 set until you are prepared to answer the following question:

What is the structure in the background of the Jackie Robinson card?

BTW, Griffins cannot reply! image

Steve
  • Options
    Here's an interesting fact about the 53's. Someone else had mentioned this recently in another thread.

That was me in this thread from a while back.

And I forget which player it is, but for one of them a billboard in the back says "NO BETTING". I never knew if it was random or in reference to the player shown as I never really investigated it any further.

Even in PSA 6 it's a nice set and the corners seem to show up pretty good.
  • Options
    brumbach,

Is it this card with the betting reference?

I also like these two, where Topps has an ad on the outfield walls.

Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Yes! Thanks! I always thought that there was something rather bold about putting that on his card where most of the others have letters to the players names or something else non-descript.

Big Jim Hearn's obit from thedeadballera.com
  • Options
    Bruce, I just got the three 1953s in. All I can say is "WOW". The back are a nice vintage design but the front are incredible. When I opened the package, I just sat there stunned. The art work is unbelievable. I knew that collecting these cards in a PSA 5/6, the cards were going to have some chipping and some minor corner problems. Even some centering issues. I wasn't concerned with that, I wanted the art work to be clear and easy to see. I was thrilled to see that the ark work is still amazing even in a 5/6 holder. I am so happy that I got these three cards from you to look at and admire. This makes it all the more exciting to know that I have 17 more coming in in a few days. I think that I am hooked already. I can't wait for the others to come in so I can lay them out on the table to enjoy. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again Bruce - you are "THE53KID". Neil
  • Options
    Thanks Neil, I knew once you had them in your hand, you would love them.

17 MORE! Oh no, he's out of control already.

It's true that 5/6's can have just as great a look as 7/8's. There are many 6's out there that are stunning cards, but just miss with the centering requirements. I think the Pierce falls into this category. If you have a set in the 6 range it is a quality set! Because after searching through untold binders, boxes, and showcases over the last several years, I can honestly say most 6's are nicer than 98% of the raw material out there.

And I also decided to get off my butt and start scanning in my cards so others can enjoy them as well. So far I have a bunch of the stars posted, and I'm busy getting the hi numbers scanned and loaded. Check it out:

1953 Topps - The 53 Kid

Plus maybe we'll get a few more 53 addicts around here. There are only a few active set builders to share war stories with.

Best of luck, and don't be surprised if I end up with some more 53's for you, given the April $7 special with no minimum.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8