Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Experts: how tough is the 92-CC?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been surfing several web sites trying to determine the availablility of the 92-CCs and find that it's a tough date, the 4th toughest CC, behind the 89, 79, and 93?

Comments

• dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    The 92-CC is not all that tough to find in MS63 or lower, however nice 64's or better are another story IMO. And in grades above MS62 in either PL or DMPL it's quite a toughie to locate, especially in DMPL. This date is prone to coming quite scruffy looking, but generally has decent lustre and an ok strike.

dragon
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    They are tough to find in 63 and above, and I suspect the population reports are inflated due to all the crackout artists. They do appear from time to time, but don't look to get one anywhere near sheet. A decent 63 now will run you close to $1100 when you can find one.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything Dragon said... plus it's not an inexpensive coin at any MS grade.
    When in doubt, don't.
    Dragon, they are hard to find in even 63. I think this is because there is such a disparity between 63 and 64 prices, a lot of 63s have probably been cracked and resubmitted. It took me a while to find a 63 I liked.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭
    When I worked in a coin store as a kid, a half of a roll of prooflike 92-CC's came in. Nice prooflikes, very frosty, much like the 80-S in overall appearence. They all were graded 63PL and 64PL by PCGS, this was in 1989 or so. I bought one of the 63PL's. Still got it.

Great one, and you really don't see them around that much.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • I'm proud to have an NGC 63 with a Sarasota Frank provenance in my collection, and can attest to the difficulty in finding nice ones...
  • I am glad that I have an excellent dealer that works with me on my Morgans. About a year or so ago, he showed me a raw 92CC, and boy was it nice. He said, "Take it and send it to PCGS, and if it does not come back MS63, bring it back and I will refund your costs including the grading fees". Well, it came back MS63!!!

Last November, I bought a raw 94 Morgan from him and he said, " I don't know, but it might go AU, but I think it might have been cleaned a long time ago...I will let you have it for $725." At the FUN, NGC graded it AU50. image
    Gary

• << <i>I'm proud to have an NGC 63 with a Sarasota Frank provenance in my collection, and can attest to the difficulty in finding nice ones... >>

and having just read Eric's assertion that it'll set you back $1100 or so at today's prices, allow me to quote the qreat philosopher Madimuxs Martius:

"you suck" image
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
    Frank, greysheet ask for a 63 now is $1030. And right now, nice CCs for the grade are going fast at 10-15% over ask. Same goes for the 90 and 91-CCs, forget about getting them anywhere near greysheet, unless they are dogs for the grade.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

I'm not an "expert" by any stretch---but I did just finish a 3 month search to fill that hole in my collection.

Expect to now pay between $1800-$2000 for a nicely struck PCGS MS64. MS63 is just starting to skyrocket. Tough to say whether the gap between 63 and 64 will shrink....I believe prices for the 64 will rise faster than the 63; however collector demand for a more affordable 63 may cause the gap to shrink.

Fact is, you just don't see many nice one on the market---and you rarely ever see a PL or DMPL in 63 or 64 for sale or auction. Seems like the nice ones are sitting in collections, and for the most part are there to stay--which is where mine will stay.

As for value, I think ms63 and up for the 92 is still a very good value at current prices. But I think the 91cc is a little over-hyped in 63 and below, unless you're talkin about PL or cameo examples.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I wonder what this one is worth.image

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    In the words of Frank,

YOU SUCK! image

By the way, I got the scan today. That coin sure does look like it came out of the same bag as mine.
  • picked one up a few months ago.
    PCGS MS-61 for just under $700.

All Carson City Morgans are becoming a challenge !!!

<< <i>YOU SUCK! >>

Yep, BIG TIME!!!

K6AZ: Hey, did you get that image?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    Yes I did. Looks like our coins came out of the same bag.

Here is my 92-CC. I took this under harsh light which exaggerates the marks on the obverse. It is a pretty decent 63, and I like the originality of it:

<< <i>Here is my 92-CC >>

Nice!!! I've got to get me one of those totally bright white ones. Everything I have is toned. I'm sooooooo boring.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I really try to avoid blast white coins. My 92-CC has just enough toning to tell it is original and not messed with.

<< <i>I really try to avoid blast white coins >>

Not me.image
  • RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Eric:

What's the greysheets list a 78-CC at MS64?

Thanks.

RR
    <html />
    405/445. Don't ask me how I did it, but I scored a very nice PCGS 64 last week for $430 including shipping. I think they were a little behind with the prices.
  • RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Eric:

Rgr. Tnx.
    Found a 78-CC locally, PCGS MS64, for 305.
    Based on your info, I need to go pick it up.

Congrats on your find last week, too!

RR
    <html />
    If you found a PCGS 64 for 305, you may want to see what else the guy has.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file