Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Need advice on my Set...

I have a 20th Century Major Type Set (No Gold) under ANJ Collection (# 37). Since I have all minstate coins, would I be more competitive in the "circulation" set?

Is an MS set able to compete with sets with proofs?
GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you would be more "competitive" if you are in a set that excludes proofs.
    However, why are you having a registry set? To compete and get the best set?
    Or to have fun and display your set with others? Why not keep both sets going?
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    100% for fun. But I do want to be in the correct set. I registered in the circulation set as well.
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not enter your coins in both sets? I have them both, one just MS coins, and the other that's a mixture of MS and proofs. While I like the more uniform appearance of the all-MS set, there are two reasons I mix MS and proof coins in the other set:

1) There are some designs that IMO just look better in proof. I've got a PR64RD Indian cent in my mixed set. It's a full red coin with moderate cameo devices, and better than any MS64RD coin that I have. From an aesthetic point of view, I also like proof Roosevelt dimes and Kennedy halves better than MS, and just about any clad coin looks better in proof.

2) In some cases, the proofs are a lot easier on the checkbook for an equivalent numerical grade. Example: a PR68 Franklin (even a cameo) can be purchased at a relatively small cost, but there are no MS68 Franklins graded, and even a MS67 will set you back a lot. Ike dollars are another good example of proofs being much cheaper (and better looking than MS coins).

If you have sizeable coin budget, you can do the all-proof and the all-MS sets, but a lot of people opt for the mixed set where they can use high grade examples that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GGC,
    The Basic 20th Century Set is divided three major categories. They are: 1) the Proof only set, 2) the Circulation Strike only set, and 3) the mixed (or overall) set.

Your question are the mint states able to be competitive with the proofs? It appear that the weighting system do favor the proof coins. As Cocoinut stated, the ability to purchase many of the modern very high quality proofs is a lot easier than mint states. So unless you have a deep pocket, I would say no you can be competitive. In my observations, there are no Mints sets strongly really competing today. I have supplied a few observations below. As you can see in number 8, there are only two complete “pure” mint state sets and they are dead last. As Robgetty stated, it is should be for fun, but it is hard not to desire to be competitive. Hope this is helpful...

Observations:
    1. There are eleven completed sets in the Circulation Strike only category.
    2. There are three completed sets in the Proof only category.
    3. There are fifteen completed sets in the mixed category.
    4. In viewing the mixed sets, there appear to be two common treads in the most all the top ten sets. The first common thread in the tough coins in proof (ex. Buffalo, Barbers) is typical filled with a high end Mint State coins. The rest of the set is filled with very common PR69DC coins.
    5. The finial observation, the proof collectors appear to have a weighting advantage over the circulating collectors.
    6. The breakdown of the 15 the mixed sets: six do not participate in the Circulation Strike only or Proof only category, six are Circulation Strike only collectors, three Proof only category (note: Kimo are both).
    7. Four of the Circulation Strike only collectors are improving their sets by replacing high quality MS coins with proofs (improving their ranking).
    8. Two of the Circulation Strike only collectors are not replacing their MS coins, and have a very low ranking (14th and 15th).
    9. Example of a replacement coin, DAM lists in the circulating set for 1946-1964 dime a MS67FB coin with a pop of 44/0. This coin would receive 67 points if used in the mix set. He wisely replaces it with a PF69DC coin with POP of 242/2. This proof coin receives 71 points in this set. ( increase of 4 points!) Cheaper (and more common) coin with much higher weight!
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004