Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Message from Sadler's Lincolns

I wish I could have gotten on this sight to share a few thoughts with all of you Lincoln collectors while the hoopla over the FUN sale was still fresh in everyone's memory. I'll try to answer a few of the questions you all have been asking.

First let me say I had an absolutely fantastic time collecting these coins and meeting several of you along the way. I traveled quite a bit to search out the very best coins I could afford. Why did I sell? Well, I found myself looking at my coins less and less. Once I added the last coin, the hunt was over. I did want to put in a few upgrades along the way, but with a family, spending another $2000-$5000 was a bit of a stretch for me. Like a good collector friend mentioned to me..."Once you've climbed the mountain, you don't need to stand at the top forever. You can climb down and climb another mountain or revisit the one you already climbed another day." Additionally, I felt the market was reaching a high point. Sure, I think there is still some room, but I didn't feel I had to sell at the very top. Think of your high tech stocks.

As for upgrades, I did send in a few coins with no luck. I won't mention which ones, however. A few came back in higher grades, but those were mostly matte proofs; coins I kept to sell another day. I felt I could get stronger money for my coins if I kept them in the older green holders so the buyer might be willing to reach out a little bit with the hope of a higher grade. I really do othink there might be a few upgrades in there. Good luck to those who get a few.

As for the auction, I was very pleased. My closest friends were there to cheer me on along with my wife who put up with my spending and long "coin conversations" while I was putting this set together.

So what do I think of the coins. First let me say the whole set sold without any reserves. The only two coins I even thought about reserving were the 1909-S and the 1940-S. Those two were beauties. If I were going to keep any two coins, it would have been those two. I took my chances with this, but I knew the quality would speak for the coins and there were going to be no bargain prices.

A few other notable pieces were the 1910. That coin was magnificent. Congrats to whoever got that one. The 1911-S, 1915-P, 1916-D, 1918-D, 1921, 1924 were all very nice. The 1925-D was perhaps the finest one around. I don't know what Stuart's looks like, but I can't imagine it looked any nicer than that. I was surprised the 1926-S didn't sell for more money along with the 1931-S. Many of you missed that one (31-S). I think Stewart Blay got that coin and he got a bargain. Whether that coin ever upgrades, I don't know, but I'm sure it will replace his current 1931-S. I really expected that coin to sell at $15,000. You all missed that coin.

I do appreciate the strong bidding. Trust me, I did a lot of leg work for you winning bidders. Those coins were all very patiently chosen from shows and dealers around the country. I do apologize for not deleting the coins from the registry in a timely manner. It just wasn't something I had on my radar screen Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll see everyone around at the shows.. I'm still collecting, but have shifted my attention to other coins...Mike Sadler

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats again, Mike, on accumulating a REALLY quality set.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. I wish I could have seen those Lincolns.
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Great post.....
  • Options
    Congratulations on compiling a great set. Everyone that looked at your coins, came away with great respect for your eye and diligence in seeking out the best coins you could find. Good luck in any other series you pursue - I'm sure it will reflect excellence.

• Options
    Congratulations on a fantastic set Mike!! I wish I could have met you years ago to discuss Lincolns while I was completing my set. I also wish I had been successful on acquiring more of your coins in the just completed auction. I did pick up your 42-P and 52-P to replace the ones I have in my set currently. I feel that I really missed out...by not attending the show...and looking at your coins in person and attending the auction. It is a long ways to travel from Seattle. Marc (Kyle Patrick Collection)
    Marc
  • Options
    Mike- I have to say, you were a pain in the ass to sell coins to and it showed well in your collection. Your eye for Lincoln's rivals Stewarts. Andy and I purchased no less than 20 coins out of your collection that we believe have a good shot to upgrade. I have sent in less than half at this point and even with PCGS on the warpath with their reluctance to grade pop top coins at the present time, have received four upgrades thus far. My favorite coin in your set was the 25-D. It has not upgraded yet, but look for the pop in 66RD to be going up sometime in the not too distant future. Congratulations on the successful sale of your coins. You are a glowing example for how having a good eye and being patient will likely make you a good profit investing on coins.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sent in less than half at this point and even with PCGS on the warpath with their reluctance to grade pop top coins at the present time, have received four upgrades thus far.

From a collector's point of view, isn't that just a little bit sad? I have duplicates that I dare not sell - not only would I leave money on the table, but when they finally went up they would cost me even more by killing my pop 1's.
  • Options
    Bruce- If you have coins that are currently pop 1 but also have some in the undergrade that are just as nice, maybe your pop 1 coins are not as rare as you believe they are. Also, if you are not selling your pop 1 coin but would sell your duplicates, wouldn't it be better for you to upgrade them yourself? My answer would be only if you are pretty sure that they indeed would upgrade and not if you are giving up a pile of old holders that guys like me would pay huge shot money to take the chance on for ourselves. Collectors that buy high end coins for the grade reap the reward when it comes time to sell even if they do not upgrade the coins themselves. Had Mike sent in all his coins and maxed them out, coins like his 24 would not have brought over $13,000.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fine balance, for sure.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, are you going to repost your Matte Proofs? I noticed that they are not on the Registry list anymore. Did you just change the name of the set?
    Doug
  • Options
    David...Congrats on the upgrades. I know you'd prefer not to share which specific coins upgraded, but you can drop me a line sometime and let me know. You're right...the 1925-D is absolutely the best I have ever seen and I jumped at the chance to buy it when it became available. Even if that coin doesn't upgrade, it will always sell for 66 money. I have never seen a better one...ever!

I know when I wandered by your table you rolled your eyes and knew you wouldn't sell me a coin. Actually, I think I bought a few from you to your amazement. I'm sure Andy felt the same way at times. You always have had a nice inventory, and good luck with the other upgrades. Many people have asked me why I never tried several of the coins. I actually did try a few over the years and a few more right before the auction. Believe it or not, only one coin upgraded and that one wasn't a super tough date. It was a "no-brainer" upgrade and I wasn't surprised it did. Perhaps PCGS will be kinder to those who bought my coins rather than the person who sold them. I guess that's the way it goes.

Someone asked about my matte proofs. I still own those coins and they will be my "foot in the door" to additional Lincoln collecting. For those who care...the matte proof series of Lincolns is super tough and undervalued. Trust me on this. Look for that series to take off soon. Unlike the mint state coins, don't shy away from attractive RB's as opposed to RD's. If you can find a 1916 Matte proof Lincoln, buy it in any grade.

I've enjoyed everyones comments and will continue to monitor this message and try to answer any questions about certain coins in my set or what I think might be good Lincoln buys.

Happy Hunting...Mike
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Congratsimage

It was one of the nicest sets.....

Dennis