Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who do you buy from?

One of the forum members, ohbaby, suggested I ask you folks who you like working with. I have heard very good things about Laura at Legend, but most of their coins are out of my league. Who do you like working with that deals in the more mid-range stuff? I like draped bust coins, but can't afford the high end stuff.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I buy from grumpy dealers.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I once dealt with Bill Jones at a large Boston coin show. He is a Forum member (username "BillJones") who I believe now lives in Florida. Anyway, he was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Though he didn't have any coins that I was interested in (Buffalo nickels), we had a very pleasant conversion about collecting and his knowledge was outstanding.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Over the years, I have developed a rapport with Liz Coggan and Gail Watson of JJ Teaparty. They are both wonderful to work with. Both have a great sense of humor and our conversations run the gamut , from coins to
    what's happening in the world of coins, which the non dealer usually isn't privy to.

They offer mid range coins..."collector coins" that are a solid value and they both have a sharp eye and keep a look out for me via their want list program. They also get involved in higher range coins on request.

I have used Laura Sperber of Legend only once, and that was in person at the Ft Lauderdale ANA Spring Money Show a few years ago. She was very helpful, but the vast majority of her items were beyond my financial means.

I did pick up a gem early comemmmorative from her though, a Maine in a PCGS 65 (shot @ a 66), in blast white.
    I came very close to buying a PCGS 65 Missouri from her in (again) PCGS 65, also blast white, but she wanted 5K for it and I had to pass. I finally did get a Missouri, but this time from Liz Coggan, in a PCGS 64 (old insert holder) , also in blast white.

Sorry, I'm rambling again...image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    for those types of coins in affordable grades I too would have to say JJ Teaparty.
  • Options
    Ealandg, I wish I could help, but I am on the east coast. I have two dealers that are close to me. One gets all of my business. The reason is this:

I walked into the first place and looked around. Picked up a Redbook because I was new to the hobby. Told the young man who waited on me that I was new and found them on the internet ( Most places like to know what brought them customers) He asked his boss what the total cost of the redbook was... And the boss said "Tell him 12.00 thats what they like to hear"

The second dealer, asked if I had a redbook and I said yes. Asked if there was anything I would like to see. Told me I need to go to shows to see as many coin in the series that I was collecting as I could possibly see. Gave me information on other dealers that carried what I was looking for. Showed me some coins and the told why they were graded the way they were. Told me about Photograde. Told me the book I really wanted to look at was sold out with no information as to when the next printing would be, because Photograde did not cover the MS60-70. Just told you what was MS.

So dealer number 2 gets all of my business.

It would help when you post to list the area in which you are looking for dealers. I have got some wonderful coins from dealers on this board.

Wayne Herndon
    Mike Dixion
    I don't think they are on the boards anymore but earlyus.com. The Jade boys. One of their reps spent a great deal of time with me and my lady at the Balt show. Making sure we understood what we were looking at in Capped Bust Halves.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    Just looked up theis JJ Teaparty on the net. I think I see some promising items! Thanks, Dollar.
  • Options

<< <i>Over the years, I have developed a rapport with Liz Coggan and Gail Watson of JJ Teaparty. >>

MFH,

Whisper in their ear that they should get a PCGS graded 1866 Two Cent in the MS62RB to MS64RB range. They're one of the sites I check regularly trying to find one. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Russ,

Call Liz at 1- 800-343-6412, or Gail at 1-877-772-4245, they both work their "want lists" very actively.
    You'll be glad you did.

I sure am.

Mike
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I bought two very beautiful Mercs from the Teaparty Table at FUN... though I'm not sure who I talked to, she was very nice, didn't mind my asking questions. Bill Jones is in Tampa now, and an extremely nice guy, and great to deal with. I met him here and then met him in person at a local show, and again at FUN and will hopefully see him again at a local show coming up in about a month. Great guy! Definately gets my recommendation! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I gotta say jjteaparty as well and also check out anrcoins.com. Awesome site and you can get a wealth of info just browsing their full color online auction catalogs. Huge, well photographed pictures.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think they are on the boards anymore but earlyus.com. The Jade boys. One of their reps spent a great deal of time with me and my lady at the Balt show. Making sure we understood what we were looking at in Capped Bust Halves. >>

They got booted in a fiasco, but are GREAT people to work with (actually, in Baltimore, I worked for them image)... they are incredibly honest, and the only dealer I've ever seen who constantly downgrades slabbed coins and prices them as such.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I buy from grumpy Russ!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>I buy from grumpy Russ!!! >>

Marty,

Kissing up won't work. I'm still not selling you the Accented Hairs from my dog box.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    I like Broken-CC for Morgan's. Old Mint Coin & Bullion for just odd stuff, and Carl W. for my special wants. The Jade boys never answered my e-mails regarding two coins listed on their site, that I was interested in. I gave up on them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file