Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Major Auctions

Does anyone know when the next major auciton is coming up?

I have not heard of anything coming up anytime soon.

Superior, Mastro, SportsCards Plus, Andy Madec, Mile High???

Did I miss anyone or leave anyone out?

Who's auction is next??

Rob

Comments

• Options
    I believe Clean Sweep Auctions has one ending tonight. I've been busy (and sick) so I haven't really followed these auctions lately. I know I have their catalog around here somewhere. Is anyone bidding on anything good? Am I missing out on some good deals? I wish I had more time to focus on these auctions.

JEB.
  • Options
    superiors next aution is march 19th-21st consignment deadline feb 6th. see no info on mile high.madac has a new page up for auctions but with about 5 pages of listings ready for review but i see no date.
  • Options
    The next Mastro auction is TBD, but appears to be in April.

I think Andy Madec's listings are actually a completed auction, not a current one.
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I went to the Madec website and he still has auction #16 still up. Do you have a link for the new page?
  • Options
    Rumor has it that an awesome pack collection is going to be listed in the next Mastronet auction (May?). Twenty one packs of 1954 Topps Hockey, thirty three packs of 1957 Topps Hockey (none were known to exist) and numerous packs from 1960, 1961 & 1965. Also, a huge hoard (as Mastronet likes to call them) of 1952 AND 1953 Topps Baseball among others (thirty one packs of 1951 Ringside). If this does happen it will be a great conversation piece on this board. Can anyone confirm or deny? I guess we will have to wait and see!
  • Options
    Confirmation is yes on almost all of the above in the next Mastro auction. I hear almost a full box of 52's.
  • Options
    A full box of 1952 Topps baseball? 24 packs in a box....that's at least $150-200 k worth of cardboard!

Where did the hockey packs come from?

In the vintage unopened pack world, those rumors are like finding a few Leonardo De Vinci paintings in your attic. Mind blowing.
  • Options
    From what I heard, this is the most unbelievable unopened collection ever uncovered. Similar to Mr. Mint's Paris, TN find, but with much more desirable and previously unknown material. Vintage unopened is absolutely awesome and it is a big thrill to open these packs. I remember when a 1952 Topps pack was opened and the Pafko popped out, resulting in the one and only PSA 10.
  • Options
    I understand all the packs were discovered in London, Ontario Canada by someone who was associated with an OPC factory. Not sure on the details. This is as much as I know!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are my eyes not deceiving me??? Did someone actually confirm there will be 1953 Topps baseball unopened packs in the auction? And would these be nickel packs? imageimage
  • Options
    Yes, 17 of them!
  • Options
    Ok guys...time to work 100 hour weeks from now until the Spring. Perhaps just work around the clock and save your cash.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    John,

Don't want to burst your bubble - but they won't be selling for a nickel anymore...image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Expectations as to how Mastro will sell these?

Individual lots? (probably not)

A few individual lots -- and groups of the rest?
    A very interesting strategic objective for Mastro. With balancing interests to maximizing hammer price and maximizing average lot value -- I imagine that Mastro will follow their previous strategies on some of these types of amazing consignments.

Group bunches of them -- but also offer limited numbers of small, single lots.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I wish they would sell at least a few of them (1953's) individually so I could make a play. If they group them in a single lot, I wouldn't have the cahones to put up tens of thousands of dollars and hope to sell the other 16 for at least break even. Maybe if 17 of us want those packs, we can get an "investment group" together to buy the lot. image
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe if 17 of us want those packs, we can get an "investment group" together to buy the lot >>

That might not be a bad idea. What is the "street value" of 1 5 cent pack?

Any ideas?

John
  • Options
    From what I understand, they are going to put the year and sport together in one lot. Example, all 1953 Baseball will be in one lot, all 1954 Hockey will be in one lot, etc. HUGE DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm guessing a '53 pack would sell for $7k-$10k (depending on the series). I would have predicted higher if a single pack hit the market. Since all 17 are hitting at one time, it will probably keep it under $10k. But I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    JEB:

Do you have Cleansweepauctions website? Cleansweepauctions.com isn't exactly a card site, but definitely has some ball handlers on it.
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Cleanweepauctions. Is that Steve Verkman? If this is the guy, there have been many threads about this guy selling altered cards and overgraded cards.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    gemint , the unfortunate part is that the buyer is going to be a private collector who doesn't sell and none of these will ever hit the market so we won't have a chance at the individual packs.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Clean Sweep

I only have bought graded cards from Verkman. No problems with him and he is very good on the phone if I ever call to get raw lot descriptions.

• Options
    Spacetrack, Glad to hear your dealings were ok. I only ask because I remember others having problems with him.

cleansweepacutions
  • Options

<< <i>gemint , the unfortunate part is that the buyer is going to be a private collector who doesn't sell and none of these will ever hit the market so we won't have a chance at the individual packs. >>

I just hope and pray that whoever wins the auction doesn't open them all. I've heard that a full '53 wax box was located in Canada within the last decade and was opened. I'm not sure how many 50s packs are still out there but there can't be that many. It would be nice to have some preserved before they become extinct.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>gemint , the unfortunate part is that the buyer is going to be a private collector who doesn't sell and none of these will ever hit the market so we won't have a chance at the individual packs. >>

I just hope and pray that whoever wins the auction doesn't open them all. I've heard that a full '53 wax box was located in Canada within the last decade and was opened. I'm not sure how many 50s packs are still out there but there can't be that many. It would be nice to have some preserved before they become extinct. >>

You mean like what Mr. Mint did with all of the 1948 Leaf boxes? <shakes head sadly>
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    With a collection this large, some individual packs are bound to show up on Ebay, or come up for private sale.

If they are sold in one lot, then selling individual packs could be quite profitable.

Are these GAI graded?

• Options

<< <i>

Are these GAI graded? >>

You can bet on it. Most even remotely rare packs sold on Mastro are graded these days.
  • Options
    Mastronet's next auction will be held April 28-30, 2004.

Todd
  • Options
    I've noticed the other guys (other than Mastro) seem to be having less auctions.
    Mile High has what, two a year? Superior also (maybe three) ditto S.C. P.
    Remember late November? Everyone had an auction. Now must be the dry spell.
    No question ebay took it's toll on consigners for these places.
  • Options

<< <i>I've noticed the other guys (other than Mastro) seem to be having less auctions.
    Mile High has what, two a year? Superior also (maybe three) ditto S.C. P.
    Remember late November? Everyone had an auction. Now must be the dry spell.
    No question ebay took it's toll on consigners for these places. >>

I think it's a product of saturation in the market. Too many auction houses to spread around a relatively fixed amount of consignment material. Teletrade has been down for months and nobody seems to have missed them (me included).
  • Options
    Why do so many people consign to Mastro? The prices realized are good but the fees charged to the seller is so high. When all is said and done, so little ends up in the pocket of the consigners.

• Options
    Koby, for items like this it's the only way to go. It's really the only way the real big guys will buy also as most don't follow ebay.
  • Options
    The Mastro business model is quite impressive IMO. The fees are high. But they've positioned themselves as the choice among high end auction houses. Their success has really seemed to snowball in the last few years.

Everyone else seems too generic. Lelands had a fine auction awhile ago (some great unopened material in it).

Mr Mint has finished with his auctions (some may say for the better).

Teletrade has been going seemingly forever. What happened to them?
  • Options
    You get much more visibility for your items with Mastro and other major auctions than on eBay where your item is buried within hundreds of thousands of others (hundreds of others even with the 'featured item' option). I think going with the big houses only makes sense for scarce, high end items. As an example, I compared prices of 1970 Topps Johnny Bench in PSA 9. A Superior auction netted $1600 with buyer's premium while two recent sales on eBay were in the $700-$800 range. Even subtracting the 15% fee to the consignee, the Superior result was much better than eBay. By the way, the eBay cards were not poor quality 9s and were listed by sellers who had steller feedback.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

For those who like vintage material Lew Lipset's latest auction is now online
    Lipset Auction
  • Options
    gemint

How many cards are in the nickel packs for 53? And how do these packs relate to the series, low, mid,hi? Could they be from any series? If GAI grades them will it specify the series.

If I did own one, I'm not sure I could stop myself from opening it

Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Mastro has a FULL box of 1952 Topps cards in this upcoming auction. The series is mid/high mixed, similar to the mixed 1973 Topps high series packs. There is also a full 1955 Topps Doubleheader box. Each year will be its own lot and the packs might be all graded by GAI, but it wouldn't surprise me if they left some ungraded. The 1952 box could fetch up to $200K. The Matro catalog is definitely the best produced, with the best material. The costs of producing this catalog is very high (they cost factor each lot), and they are always looking to cut expenses. That is why they purchased their new building. They also will cut deals on the seller's fees if the material is good enough. Most PSA dealers get very cut-rate deals, with some at negative percentages.
  • Options
    Sorry, I believe the 1952 box is a mid-series, not a high series mixed.
  • Options
    Mastro's puts out THE best catalog in the business period. All of their auction photographs are done in-house so they save alot of money by going that route. They have a photography studio there along with their offices.

I haven't been to their new offices since they just moved, but I have been to their old one several times and it was pretty cool. To walk around and see the different items around the office that were to be in the upcoming auction. Things that stuck out to me were some of the odd ball items such as Bill Veek's wooden leg and a gorgeous 1933 Goudey cardboard shipping case that the unopened boxes were shipped in. The case was empty, but could you imagine if it was a full unopened case and what kind of money that would bring.

Todd
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    strong material brings high prices regardless of venue.i have seen questionable ungraded
    packs and boxes offered through mastro and recently ungraded items (last auction)
    that i believe were ungraded for one reason.as to mastro buying a building due to "cost
    consciousness" i'm not impressed.isnt timing everything?.whatever happened to their "IPO"?.
    i think you can pull thewool over peoples eyes only so long.their no refund policy will continue
    to wreak havoc upon those wronged (innocently or for whatever excuse) and
    an auctioneer who doesn't unconditionally stand behind his items is nothing but a potential
    con artist with a license to steal.i agree their items for sale are for the most part incredible
    and no one finds better material to fill catalogues but integrity can only be lost once and to me
    that is reason enough to just gaze with incredulity and stay far,far away.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    anybody who has bought from Lew Lipset's auctions , how are they on conditions. I looked at some of the sets and curious if anyone has bought sets from them and how the condition matched up to what was specified? thanks
  • Options

<< <i>gemint

How many cards are in the nickel packs for 53? And how do these packs relate to the series, low, mid,hi? Could they be from any series? If GAI grades them will it specify the series.

If I did own one, I'm not sure I could stop myself from opening it >>

I believe there are 5 cards (maybe 6) per pack (one against gum, one against wrapper seal). I haven't heard . I'm not sure if GAI will identify the series. Since it's a high profile item, perhaps they will. If I'm able to acquire one, I will have no desire to open it. At the prices these packs will fetch, there is practically zero possibility for upside by opening the pack. You'd be better off taking that money and buying a few already graded PSA 10's.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    packcollector - I have only won single cards in lots from Lipset but the cards were always well described. You should probably give him a call if you want to discuss any of the grades on cards in the sets. He is not high on professional grading and does not accept the opinion of third party graders for returns at all.