Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT: Need some 5 1/4 inch floppies

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
Anyone have any 5 1/4 inch floppies left over from the old days? For this application, they must be never used, DS/DD, and unformatted (DS/HD and pre-formatted won't work here). If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

These will be found in the relic section.

Wow.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Barry,

I have an unopened box of pre-formatted. Let me know if you can't find anything else.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    All I have are used or preformatted ones. Let me know if you need these and I'll shake the dust off of them.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    What do you need them for?

You can't leave us hanging like thisimage
  • Options
    I still have a few 8 inch floppy disks somewhere (Yep, really showing my age on this one!).
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still have a few 8 inch floppy disks somewhere (Yep, really showing my age on this one!). >>

I still have programs on paper tape! Now if this were a coin, it would still be considered modern. Funny how a forty year old coin is modern but a five year old computer is a relic.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i'm sure i could find some punch cards somewhere!

K S
  • Options
    I still have a box of punch cards from my programming classes in college (early 80s). Anyone know where I can get my hands on IMB 360 model 44?
  • Options
    Thanks for the offers so far, but they have to be virgin, unformatted DSDD disks to work.

XpipedreamR - They are used in a machine in my office that tests peripheral vision. It's a proprietary format and a disk drive upgrade isn't available (though a new machine for $20K is!)
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, for the relics people

I am certified to repair REMEX paper tape punchs and readers.

But I haven't even looked at these things since sometime in 1983.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I have an entire filebox full of them - probably in the garage somewhere. If you had a functional Commordore 64, you could have yourself a kickarse game of M.U.L.E.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    I tossed out a few sealed boxes of these a year or two ago thinking "Why would I ever need these?"

Sorry

Ken
  • Options
    anybody else remember that old text-based game, rogue? must have wasted 2 months of my life playing that game.

how about ultima IV? ran on 5 floppies, as i recall.

K S
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Dude, my office mates finally made me throw out a whole bunch of them a few weeks ago! I never get rid of anything unless somebody holds a gun to my head. What are you going to do with them?
    DSW
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Dorkkarl,

I have found the Amulet of Yendor.... LOL, one of my best friends in grad school knew the folks that built Rogue. It started on a mainframe at UC Berkley (sp?) and then was moved over to the "new" PCs that had just come out.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    it's time for you to advance to the 90's technology image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those old text games were the best!!!! I remember those old games on Compuserve! One was the one where you had to leave a house, go by a stream and it was always N S E or W direction wise, into the underground cave to find the gold and dig your way through the tunnels.

It was awesome! I wonder where that game can be found now?

I seem to recall it was called Quest or Castle or something like that! It really made the mind think!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5.25 FLOPPIES!?!?! What are you re-stocking your Commodore 64? Or are you upgrading to a Z-100?
  • Options
    dude your talking about zork! 1 of THE GREATEST games ...... EVER.

thought about changing my name to "zorkkarl"

K S
  • Options
    used to have a ti-99-4a, complete w/ connector to an external tape drive (which was 1 of those old zenith hand-held jobbies), plus the r-f adaptor so i could use it on my 13" color television. if i remember right, the computer was so advanced it could display 16 colors simultaneously. it also had a voice-synth which wasn't half bad....

K S
  • Options
    barracuda wrote:
    I have an entire filebox full of them - probably in the garage somewhere. If you had a functional Commordore 64, you could have yourself a kickarse game of M.U.L.E.

Actually, I do have a working C64 somewhere in the basement. I did some programming back in those days (and actually sold several thousand copies (part hardware, part software) of a wireless networking system for the C64. I was ahead of my time, wasn't I? I saved one working C64 in case I ever want to impress myself with what I used to be able to do image

The million dollar question - do you have any blank disks, or are they all full of C64 programs?

Lawman wrote: Dude, my office mates finally made me throw out a whole bunch of them a few weeks ago! I never get rid of anything unless somebody holds a gun to my head. What are you going to do with them?
    and
    Outhaul wrote: 5.25 FLOPPIES!?!?! What are you re-stocking your Commodore 64? Or are you upgrading to a Z-100?

See my 9:27 AM post for the answer. Guess you guys missed it...
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I just gave my VIC-20 to a radio group, I'll check with them on the 5-1/4's. I see them every so often, but here in Phx stuff doesn't last to many summers

Edit; Just thought of something. There is a program called "disk sweeper" or something like that and it is DOS based. It will do a federal wipe(all 0's) no tracks or partitions. Found the crack and prog for the pro ver. through google.

If needed PM me and I'll find the person I did that for and get his link(long storyimage)
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    If you hit the pre-formatted floppies with a bulk eraser that should work wouldn't it? They wouldn't be formatted anymore.

(And until the fire in my apartment back in 97 I was still using my old TRS-80 model I and Model II with 8 inch drive. Those 8 inch disks were a real pain to find.)
  • Options
    Zork was the game. I lost alot of my life to it as well. Just tossed a bunch of old 5"ers but all were used.

Good luck on the search
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Condor,

I used to use the debugger on my old TRS-DOS machine to write assembler and stuff the hex into data arrays for BASIC programs.image The Amiga was the heat though, because it's operating system was re-entrant. Unheard of simplicity. I started writing code for an old System/34, and really enjoyed PC's when they became affordable. My first harddrive was a $1500 5 meg external for the TRS-80 II. That was back in the Mustang BBS days. I liked Compuserve and Genie, but the real fun came courtesy of Ward Christensen's Xmodem protocol. Elegant 128 bit packets with checksum that finally enabled simple file transfer. Long before the Windows InYourFace.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr Heath-

A man after my own heart - I had one of those trash-80 machines too - still have all those Z80 opcodes stored in my head image

Maybe we should all start using ASCII codes when PCGS censors our post image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found some a couple of years ago stuck in Methusela's beard. Haven't seen any since . . . image
    Doug
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Barry -

I will check to see if I can find the disks. If I find any blanks they're yours.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Would five unopened boxes (still shrink sealed, 10 Per box) of Verbatim Double Sided Double Density help out? I got them right here. I'm sure we can work something out to get them to you.

Myriads
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have 3 working AT&T 6300 computers that used the 5 1/4 inch floppy. They were used in my office from 1982 to 1987. They still work! But haven't really used them much lately. I just can't bear to throw them out! They still are good for doing 1981 to 1987 income tax returns!

I also have the original IBM model O typewrier. That was the first all electric typewriter IBM ever manufactured.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    barry let me know i ahve about 40 or so if you need a drive i can help you there 2
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file