Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ignored by Krause, or just another 30th Ed. foulup?

My image 30th Ed. jumps from 1942 (KM#39) to 1946 (KM#39a) in its listings of Canadian 5 cent coins. Although I couldn't find a picture of one on the CCRS site, I did find a couple of threads discussing them, and the descriptions match this coin:

It's about the size of a U.S. quarter, is attracted to a magnet, and looks like it's chrome plated. Unlike KM#39, which does have 12 sides, the 12-sided appearance of this one is only in the border, on a round planchet that doesn't show well in the photo. Has it been assigned a KM# in other Krause editions? image
Roy

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the Krause issue, but I do know that it's attracted to a magnet because, unlike US Nickels which are mostly copper, it's mostly nickel.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    These are wartime issues: Chrome plated steel blanks.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    In the 2001 edition they are listed as KM-40a - under Commemorative Five Cents. - Page 294

I have no idea about the newest Krause.
  • Options
    If you look closely around the edge of the coin, you will notice those denticles are actually morris code.
    I believe it says "we win when we work together".
  • Options
    31st edition has it as KM 40 TOMBAC for 1943 and 1944
    KM 40A for 1944 and 1945
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    <<<<<< Hey, that looks a lot like my icon.

The 1944/1945 issues are war steel (junk steel), with a plating of nickel then a plating of chrome. Some of them are missing the chrome plating.

The Morse Code states "We Win when we Work Willingly".
  • Options
    I have noticed that in my 2004 Krause if the coin is a Commemorative it skips over the date and is listed in another section.

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what is being commemorated. It's a war issue.
  • Options
    I'm at work now but when I get home I'll see if I can find it listed...

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    Well, the one thing that is clear is that it's another screwup in the image 30th Ed.

The 2001 placement in commemmoratives also seems incorrect, and the metal description in the 2004 is pure image.

According to every online and print dictionary I've consulted, "tombac" is "an alloy of copper and zinc (and sometimes arsenic) used to imitate gold in cheap jewelry and for gilding". Something made of copper and zinc, with or without arsenic added, isn't going to do this:image in the vertical position.

Considering PBRat's familiarity with the coin, and his accurate rendition of the morse code (which, BTW, is a jammed up against the rim, and a real bear to read for my old eyes), I'm going to go along with his description of the composition. Mine definitely looks like a chrome plated jobby that has not lost any of its chrome!image
    Roy

• Options
    I think that I found it in the Krause 31st Edition:
    Page 278
    KM# 40a
    Composition: Chrome Plated Steel
    Mintage: 18,893,216
    MS-63: 4.00

I'm still new at this so I could be wrong image

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    The method of listing the nickels (commems seperated) is not new to the 30th edition. It goes back to at least the 24th edition (1997).

They were listed all together back in the 1989 edition, but I don't have any copies of the years in between so I can't say when the change in presentation format happened.