Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Info needed on the 1982 P No Initial Kennedy

Are these scarce, if so, how many were made...and about how much are they worth.

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They're very common, millions were made and they're worth 50c.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I don't believe that they are scarce. I asked my dealer if he had any, and he showed me three of them....Ken
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Nobody knows how many were made, mintage figures are kept by date and mint, not by variety or error.

These are simple overpolished dies and gained their notariety through people advertising them as rare and little else. Truth of the matter is that there were no dies made "missing" the initials, they were just rubbed off by die wear and polishing clash marks away....same thing that happened to the buffalo nickel reverse die in Denver back in 1937 resulting in a missing front leg.

They are no big deal, they do happen in other years, and there is no record of "how many" there are.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Coppercoins hit it on the head. There are, reportedly, examples from every year and mint mark for Kennedy circulation strikes....Ken
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    agreed.

K S
  • Options
    Thanks, I stumbled upon an aftermarket set put togther in cellophane with two 82 p coins for comparison, one with the FG and one with out. It is pretty neat.

morris <><

ps, funny thing is the special button that was made for this set, says "Rare No Initial JFK" Sounds like it is no more rare than the initialed variety
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Finding a nice example of either coin is rare.image I put a No FG coin in an ANACS 5 holder last year, but usually the 82-P halves are pitiful. When you DO find one fully struck from a good die pair, they're usually baggy. The typical roll coin has terrible die abrasion around and on the bust.

If you stumble across a 65 rotated reverse, PM me.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morris: My PCGS-MS67 1982 Kennedy in my set is the "NO FG" variety and it is an extremely scarce coin in that grade to begin with (as you know) and additionally scarce in the No FG variety. Obviously, without PCGS recognizing the variety, the added $$ are not there to any big degree, but, as a collector coin, it is (as you point out), very cool. I believe there is also a variety with only 1 initial that is equally interesting.

My guess is in grades of MS65 and better the NO FG variety coin might see a bit of a premium on ebay. I would certainly pay it. image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of like the Bugs Bunny Frankie. A coin that was promoted right into collectability for profit. Then one day, everyone woke up.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Well I found 9 of these in 1982 because I was looking, all BU+. At the time they were going for ~$10 or so, briefly they went to ~$12-15 when people were hoarding them. Now they are on Ebay for $10-18.

So yes they are worth finding, my guess is that 10,000 or near that range where made, but this is only a guess.

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I like them because of the die polish. Frankly, I'm not sure the no FG coins aren't generally nicer than the normal 82-P's.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Well I looked at 26 of the 1982' sa couple of weeks ago and none were no FG. I think these are a good find but when searching halves you are probably going to find more 1964's image
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've looked at hundreds of '82 halfs and also many rolls and have found no missing designer initials.

It's not a high priority but I do check them.

They are not common.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file