Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ouch!

1918 over 7 Standing Liberty

First off, I say, what a shame that this piece is sooooo damaged. That said, this piece in any condition is worth something, if it is in fact an 8/7.

Secondly, there's enough worn off the date that it's really hard to look at and identify as an 8/7. It looks like there was a die break around the date, which I've seen on SLQ's before, but either that damage has helped to obliterate some of the details of the overdate, or perhaps it's not.

What does anyone else think?

David
David

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    doesn't look like an 8/7 to me.
    the inside of the top of the 8 still appears to be round.

"Just a few scratches"
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    hmmmm......

that poor coin.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • lets try this again.....stupid laptop....

quote from seller: This coin has a few scratches and gouges but it will still fill that hole.

imageimage
  • nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    That poor coin looks almost as pitiful as the coin Jeremy tortured and sent in to ANACS.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't think that's the overdate.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    I wouldn't even consider paying Melt for that disgrace. Any collector who would put THAT in his/her collection would be conveying exactly how much of a true "collector" they are. THAT THING would definately lower the entire value of any collection, better to have the empty hole.

Jim

• << <i>I wouldn't even consider paying Melt for that disgrace. Any collector who would put THAT in his/her collection would be conveying exactly how much of a true "collector" they are. THAT THING would definately lower the entire value of any collection, better to have the empty hole >>

I don't understand this comment at all. It seems to be implying that anyone who puts a damaged coin in their collection isn't much of a collector and that it would be better if damaged RARE coins were disposed of! Well I'm sorry, I know this is the "Hobby of Kings" and I don't happen to be wealthy but I do like to be able to complete my collections. If that means that all I am able to afford is a damaged example of a rare coin so be it. And I would definitely consider them to be more of a collector than some people who adhere to the "Box of 20" theory of coin collecting. Yes the box of 20 may have better prospects for a good return but in most cass I have never seen them as much of a collection. More of a knowledgable accumulation.
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I kind of agree with condor on that one.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Gosh, what are we to make of Lard Marcoven????
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I also agree with conder (not condor - that's a bird) on that one. You fill the hole then go for the better one if you need to.

Thing is, I also agree with others that this is not the 1918/7....and if it were, I'd be reserved to stick $500 on the table for that one.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't even consider paying Melt for that disgrace. Any collector who would put THAT in his/her collection would be conveying exactly how much of a true "collector" they are. THAT THING would definately lower the entire value of any collection, better to have the empty hole >>

NoGvmnt-

How would that lower the value of a collection?! I would not be ashamed to put a damaged RARE coin in my collection at all. The purpose of coin collecting is to enjoy the hobby and not go broke. It is also nice to enjoy an occassional upgrade. No need to refinance the house just to buy a RARE coin is high grade bcause someone says you should. image

>>

I don't understand this comment at all. It seems to be implying that anyone who puts a damaged coin in their collection isn't much of a collector and that it would be better if damaged RARE coins were disposed of! Well I'm sorry, I know this is the "Hobby of Kings" and I don't happen to be wealthy but I do like to be able to complete my collections. If that means that all I am able to afford is a damaged example of a rare coin so be it. And I would definitely consider them to be more of a collector than some people who adhere to the "Box of 20" theory of coin collecting. Yes the box of 20 may have better prospects for a good return but in most cass I have never seen them as much of a collection. More of a knowledgable accumulation. >>

Conder-

Thank you for posting this comment. I am not wealthy either, but I love this hobby. I have no problems buying low grade or damaged coins until I can afford a better quality. And, even then, I may not buy a better quality. I just love what I collect and on super rare coins, to me, grades don't matter.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That poor coin looks almost as pitiful as the coin Jeremy tortured and sent in to ANACS. >>

Ask and ye shall receive:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    This coin has a few scratches and gouges but it will still fill that hole.

Well, as long as the hole isn't round it'll fit I guess.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • I agree about the damaged coins. Of course we would all like to have a perfect specimen, but I sure wouldn't kick a 1895P morgan out of my album if it were scratched or cleaned. It can be very exciting to get that hole filled, especially if you are new to collecting.
  • I'm happy to see that this thread has inspired a number of opinions.

Since I'm an avid SLQ collector, I'm often searching the bay for SLQ's, hence my find and post of this coin.

Since I started it, I'll add to the thread as well. I agree with Conder. Not everyone has an infinite amount of money to complete a collection or set. With just 38 coins, the SLQ may look easy, but there are so many keys (16, 21, 23-s, 8/7), semi-keys (19-d, 19-s, just about any branch mint with decent head detail...) it's really tough to put together. I've been working on my set for over three years now, and have bought relatively few other coins.

I didn't see this as an overdate either, and I don't think anyone did.

That said, even with the amount of damage, it's got at least low end VF detail, and a true VF 8/7 is in the thousands - and not just one or two. I'd have gladly paid between $100 and $200 for something like this to fill the hole (even though, as barracuda points out, it may not fit into a round hole!)

Alas, this seems to be a plain old 18-s with a die break/cud, worth perhaps $5 or $10 tops for a variety collector. And not me...

David
    David
  • Hear! Hear! My hat's off to conder!....Well stated..and thanks from the "COLLECTORS" among us.....
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The allure of the missing coin is far more attractive than that poor beat up SLQ. I don't see the markers of an overdate either. No die clash at Liberty's knee, no die marker at the "T" of Trust.

As another avid collector of SLQ's, and the proud owner of two overdates, one of which is in my Registry Set and listed as a PCGS AU55, and the other a SEGS (sorry) AU55FH, I can not understand how anyone could even consider adding that coin into their collection, and still call themself a Numismatist.

I also noticed that noone bought it. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Conder, image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    You know, that coin looks like it's been pried out of something with a screwdriver.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, I've always loved Jeremy's Bust dime. That's a riot! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file