Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any known authenticated examples of two headed coins?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Or, two tailed coins?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Yes!!!
    It was a Canadian penny though...
    Tom
  • Options
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a two-headed 1859 Indian cent in a third-party holder (PCGS, maybe?), which was the subject of some debate and several no-grades before finally getting certified. I believe it is considered a pattern.

There is also a two-tailed Washington Quarter which came out of an abandoned California safety deposit box, along with hundreds of other (ahem) "esoteric" error coins from the 1965-1970 era San Francisco Mint. It was certified as genuine by NGC, I believe they somehow ascertained the reverses to be from 1965.

There may be others, but those two came immediately to mind.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Is it safe to assume that the odds have to be very, very slim, though? So, if say, one was offered a two-tailed coin it damned well better be graded by PCGS or NGC?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Hey Russ, are you looking for a 2-headed 1964 Kennedy half-dollar with an accented hair on one side and a non-accented hair on the other? image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now what was that Greek mythological creature with two heads? Surely that has to be on someone's coin from the Darkside, if not an ancient.
  • Options
    Unless their still in thier package.

"Real" 2 headed coins

<<Each is Precision machined and made using two real coins>>

Tom
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    how about patterns? Judd 252 flying eagle obverse 1858 and indianhead obverse 1858

Judd 251 2 flying eagle obverse with no dates

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it safe to assume that the odds have to be very, very slim, though? So, if say, one was offered a two-tailed coin it damned well better be graded by PCGS or NGC?

Russ, NCNE >>

Very slim. Very, very slim.

IMNSHO any genuine two-headed or two-tailed coin had lots of help being manufactuerd and/or getting into a holder. I would never buy one off the street and expect it to be genuine.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    I remember seeing an article about the two-tailed Washington quarter in Coinage magazine, I believe. If I remember right the coin sold for $100,000 to the same guy that was buying up all the certified Wash-Sac mules.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Besides the 2 US coins mentioned Byers has had about 6 foreign ones but I don't remember the details. Several of them were NG by NGC for cleaning.
    But yes, if somebody offers you a 2 headed coin you can pretty much count on it being fake.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    You guys totally forgot about the Lewis and Clark gold commem., page 252 of the 2004 red book.
    Dates: 1904 and 1905.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    NGC has certified a two-tailed Roosevelt dime. Of course, the date is unknown.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now what was that Greek mythological creature with two heads? Surely that has to be on someone's coin from the Darkside, if not an ancient. >>

i believe his name to be "janus" one head looking forward one behind ...where we get the name for the first month...january.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file