Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tracking graded card prices

Would it even be feasible if some company came along and just did graded card pricing exclusively, tracking real sales?

Would people get into something like that? I think I would, just dont know how easy it would be and if it would make sense... thus people supporting it enough for it to grow/thrive/survive.

I think SMR doesnt cut it (in my opinion), neither does Beckett. In a perfect world it would be great to have a guide(maybe even a website)/magazine (some articles would be nice about graded cards, set collectors etc) that wasnt closely knit to a grading company.

If I wasnt so heavily involved in my own collecting, being married to my wonderful wife and trying to get my publicity company off the ground... this might be a reasonable undertaking for someone like myself (or some other highly motivated soul, haha).

For myself, I have a spreadsheet with my POP reports logged and pricings listed so I can see at a glance what stuff is going for.

Thoughts? Complaints? Solutions? Im sure this has been talked about before... but Im pretty interested in seeing some new ground broken.
Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
http://www.clark22murray33.com

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I have thought about something like that and believe it is a great idea. I would definatly pay for a service like that

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    It is a good idea and for it to work it would have to be someone's full time endeavor. Just a random search on eBay alone for 1971 Topps PSA resulted in 721 completed items for baseball alone. To track many sets for multiple sports would be many thousands of auctions. Then, to weed through all of these to see which PSA 8 are really PSA 8 OC, for example, and how that changed the price would be very time consuming, but also feasible I would think if someone dedicated the time to it. Also, would you track the prices of qualified cards? I guess you might as well while you are looking at all the auctions.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    It would have to be someone with a good network as private sales would have to be tracked as well. sometimes ebay can be deceivingly low or high. I agree smr is lacking though but it is tough to come up with a good solution.

are 1980 rickey henderson's which sold for 175 8 months ago really worth 350-400 becasue 1 buyer is buying them all up? image
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    For me, just doing it for one set is a pain in the butt. It would be a royal pain to do it for all sets and then listen to the crying and whining of "why am I being charged $10/month for this information?" Then, to top it all off, there would be about 40 total subscribers. Don't look for it to happen any time soon.
  • Options
    About 18 months ago Ebay took a survey just for this service. I guess the response was not strong enough to warrant doing it.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I believe a previous thread mentioned something along these lines:

Link the thread (RE: www.truecardprices.com)
  • Options
    A year ago I stated that I was thinking of doing the same thing...I estimated that doing so would take me 40-50 hours a week, and that would only be for 51-75 Topps sets. I figured that I'd need to sell 1000 CD's twice a year, each with 6 months of Ebay info on it, for it to be a decent investment. Even considering that I might get close if I advertised a little and put it on Ebay for sale, I passed...but I'm still kicking it around. I might try doing it myself for a month to see how feasible it is. It might require more than one person's effort.
  • Options
    it might work if a dozen or two people got together and took a chunk each. Hopefully something will come along. It would be cool to see what stuff has sold for in the past.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Everybody go try:

True Card Prices - Hometown Sports

Just try it a month before your hooked.
    One thing, you have to watch the way you search.
    1970 Simpson PSA is a diferent search than 1970 PSA Simpson.

(We are in no way affiliated with Hometown Sports) Jeremy

See you at the Orlando Show!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    I'm also betting now that eBay has made the completed auctions accessible only when entering account info and not available to the "masses" that they might have something to say about people selling information gleaned from their auctions - they might try to claim that the prices are proprietary information and taking them and selling them is an offense.
  • Options
    Should keep the lawyers busy a while. Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Ebay is now in the business of selling their auction price histories. From what I understand, they are geared more toward business/industrial sectors, so if you want to know how much your restaurant mixer or backhoe is worth, you can find out. But auction results aren't copyrightable or trademarkable, so feel free to do it yourself.

Actually as far as cards go, if you want to know how much something is worth, posting a question on this board will usually yield a pretty solid answer if it's not extremely rare, and a fairly solid one even if it is. The collective knowledge of board members is a pretty good substitute for a single entity. But prices change so much and, especially with ebay, so radically due to a dozen unrelated factors that prices from 2 years ago would usually only be interesting in the academic sense, and not really useful in terms of predicting a current value. All it takes is two competitive people, or one willing to meet a high reserve, and prices can start getting skewed upwards. Conversely, a poorly listed auction ending at 3AM on a Tuesday could point things downard. And there are always scammers who could mess things up, with bogus auction results included in the record. All those details would have to be taken into account, otherwise the data isn't really understandable.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay