Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Educational Quiz--ANSWER POSTED

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
What does every one of these have in common? The answer is not "they are patterns" or "they are raw" of other like answers.
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Answer tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    They're all counterfiet.
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    copper
    united states of america
    cent
    1800's
  • Options
    They look copper, but aren't?
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>They're all counterfiet. >>

I was thinking maybe that too.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too.....what's the story with the skinny eagle patterns?? Fake too??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    they all show one eye, and never two.
    I collect Canadian coins! Almost done completing me 1900-2000 Set of Cents! What shall I do next?
  • Options
    Sorry. Forgot this one.

imageimage
  • Options
    i would venture one of 2 possibilities

first like you all said that its counterfeit. (yet the first one looks like a 3rd party strike like tehy did with large cents in 1837.

or they are experimental government strikes. kinda like the 1974 alluminum cents. and the 1943 ,44 cents . they were experiments that teh govt were unhappy with . cause 1858 was the last year for the FE and many were reused 1857 strikes. teh 1875's was teh last year of the 20 cent piece.. the 1870 had the variteity of the Closed N in "CENTS" . and teh 1836 2 cent experimental cent that lead to teh 1864-73 2 cent pieces (also failed)

unless they were all shrunken down with that super magnet though
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether they're all counterfeit, but I think they've all been cleaned and artificially toned by using heat/chemicals.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    they're all Rk's?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The correct answer is that they are all pretty cool. Of course, there's probably another answer that is also correct. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    counterfeit
  • Options
    I had a different answer in mind, but liked Sarasota Frank's so much ("they're all Rk's?"), I've decided THAT is the answer.

Answer by noon eastern.
  • Options
    Are these all off metal trials?
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all raw.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    molded counterfeit as opposed to struck. The first one makes me think that.
  • Options
    Definately weird metals
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are the coins that RK sold to family members in the past year? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Those are the coins that RK sold to family members in the past year?

No. To little old ladies as investments.image
  • Options
    All are counterfeit patterns. I believe they are all cast except the J-228 (the one I added). Here is it's rim:

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Feuchtwanger designed them but did not get credit

and they were made with 'german silver'
  • Options
    I used the word molded and later realize cast was the appropriat word. but the two cent piece really gives this impression. Joe
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RKKay was kind enough to show my wife and myself these at the FUN show. They are truly interesting to look at.

I presume the counterfeiters likely owned an actual copy of some of these patterns. I am left to wonder how these "coins" were created without damaging the patterns that somehow provided the prototype for the counterfeit. Do you suppose they used cast copies in order to not harm the original, genuine coin?

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Feuchtwanger"? Can you SAY that in mixed company? image

HEY CAROL! RKKAY TYPED A BAD WORD!

Cyril was always the life of the party because of the feuchtwanger in his pocket.

Sorry...couldn't help myself...I'll just go and seek counseling now.

Cheers,

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file