Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Portuguese 1000 escudos...NEWBIE, did you see it?

Here are some more shipcoins from my collection (NN3-6 in forum's presentation)

KM numbers: # 685; # 657; # 721 according the order of appearence.
N. N.

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very artistic!! image The Portuguese are a great source for nice ship coins.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Modern Portuguese designs are often abstract or caricaturish. Just my opinion, but they don't do a thing for me. I like a realistic portrayal of a person, ship or other event or object much better.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Tbirde.. most of the portuguese shipcoins that I have (but not that ones) are super realistic!! They show specific types of ships, during their explorations threw the world. Hope next tome I'll show afew more realistic Portuguese...

Askari.. here is correct Website of Portuguese comm. (and now it works!):Portuguese Coins
    N. N.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Thanks for the (working) link, Nikolai! You might also take a look at their paper money. The Portuguese take great pride in their seafaring history and this is often reflected in their gorgeous notes portraying illustrious Portuguese explorers and mariners.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    The older designs are great and real classics: for example, the ship design used 1932-55, the 1966 Salazar bridge, the 1928, 1953 and 1972 commems. The worst 'modernistic' designs were during the '80s like the horrible '84 Year of the Disabled person designs and the 'new' ship design of the 1986+ 50 Escudos. Others aren't too bad but they just seemed to make a lot of designs too 'busy' to have instant eye appeal.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for showing the coins, Shipcoin! I particularly like the third picture (KM-721) due to its simplicity, artistry, and allegorical references.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your replies and comments!

Askari... I'll see their notes, I never see them, but I, just like Wayne trying to concentrate only on coins and medals with ships.

Tbirde... In general I agree with you, but they have also many comm. 100 and 200 escudos coins with classic Caravels, Carracks, Fishing ships and Junks. I hope, that once I'll be able to show at least part of them.

Jester... my favorite one is the first one, I really like a design of that coin!
    N. N.
  • Options
    Do you have these ones in your fleet, Wayne?
    N. N.
  • Options
    Nick,
    I missed your post the first time around, sorry.

No I don't have one of those and actually never saw one before.

Very nice.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Wayne,

New ships for your fleet you can find also in today threads: "Rickmer Rickmers..."
    and "Laos 10 kip"
    N. N.
  • Options
    I saw those post Nick........ I just missed this one.....image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Cool coins. I find it just amazing how many coins show ships.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Bruce..

Only from Portugal I have 49 different coins with ships!! The only 'country' than can compete with Portugal in that competion is IOM (Isle of Man) but their coins are really hard to get...
    N. N.