Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

UK 20th century minor type set album + giveaway- WINNERS

You can skip the text and post to enter for the giveaway.

I find traditional coin albums, one of the neatest and more educational ways of collecting.
Although many members are very well acquainted with British pre-decimal coinage, some others might not have discovered it yet.This 20th century album is a wonderful introduction to UK coins, from the farthing to the sixpence and the Maundy sets; cosmic was the one who got me into this and I can't thank him enough for having provided me with a very enjoyable short term target during the past three months.The coins already included in the album have all been replaced without a single exception,for my goal was to fill this album with nice BU lustrous coins,without the hassle of complete date-runs and key-dates. My only regret is that there's no space provided for Victoria's 1901 coins that are,after all, an essential part of 20th century British coins.

Maundy sets aside, this album is now close to completion.Most coins came from Colin Cooke, others from wybrit (who proved to be way more accurate in his descriptions than Mr Cooke), other members of this forum and eBay.The coins to be replaced,include George VI's halfpenny 1949-52, a brass threepence 1949-52, and a Edward VII sixpence ; George V's 1936 penny might also get replaced ,although it's a pleasing red-brown unc.

A giveaway is in order for this : a nice uncirculated lustrous George V halfpenny (I don't have it in hand for the date) will be sent to the winner that I'll be chosen randomly on Monday morning (your Sunday night).

Have fun - the scans are of a poor quality due to the big number of coins in each of them.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Dimitri,

Please enter me in your giveaway, but what I really want is that album, where did you get it?

P.S. Nice coins!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve, these Whitman albums are unfortunately no longer produced . This particular one was found by cosmic (on eBay) who provided me the link. Its serial number is 9516 if it can be of any assistance. I'm looking for a Victorian type set album myself,but I doubt that I'll ever come across one .Most are usually worn too,but that was OK with me image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Let's make this more fun: there's a coin that doesn't really belong in this album (technically speaking); if you think that you know which one, PM me and a second winner will be chosen among the members who will (eventually) identify it.

The second prize is the 1936 George V penny featured above image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri,
    Don't enter me in your wonderful giveaway. I think it should go to someone more dedicated to collecting those than I am.

Please accept my whole hearted appreciation for such a great giveaway and I hope the winner enjoys it.

imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimage.... for Dimitri.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Hey that set looks familerimage Great giveaway too.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve, Dimitri, et al:

I posted a while back about a good source for out-of-print Whitman, etc folders & albums, and he might just have what you are all looking for!

He has Dimitri's #9516 (Great Britain Minor Type Album 1902-?) listed as $15 used & $20 new (when available), along with many others, such as the mentioned "Victoria Type" (1837-1901) #9520 @ $20 new, and a "Silver Type" (1902-?) #9517 @ $15/$20.

He also has US, Aussie, Canadian, Mexican, Panama, Newfoundland, Crowns of the World, Philippine, etc Albums listed, as well as Whitman FOLDERS for US, Canada, Newf., Mexico, Great Britain, & Australia
    as well.

He has been a good source of obsolete Canadian, Great Britain, Aussie, & Mexican folders for me twice in the past, and I would hope he could help you as well! He hits several coin shows around the country as well, and seems to run the company just by himself and his wife.

His name/company is as follows:

Randy Miller
    Chief Coin & Supply Company
    P.O. Box 254
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin (USA)

Phone: 920-231-6161
    Fax: 920-231-6122

Good luck to all interested! I have his latest price list (at least that's what he sent me, although dated 5/1/02), if anyone's curious about whether he has a specific Whitman Bookshelf Album, Library of Coins Album, Whitman Classic Album, or Whitman Folder, and any related details. I'd be glad to help by answering any PM's!

- - Dave

P.S. I'll post this under a separate thread for wider circulation, too.image
  • Options
    Nice set of coins! Please enter me!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    The set: image

Me: image
    Roy

• Options
    Please enter me, Dimitri!

British coins are the second main stream (after shipcoins) in my collecting.

THANKS!!!!image
    N. N.
  • Options
    A classy set Dimitri
    I love your quest for quality!!
    Please enter me in this fine giveaway.
    Shep
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Please enter my name. Thanks. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    when i was a kid i used to play with lots of the old pre decimal british coins

count me in and thanks!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice, pretty set, Dimitri! Thanks for sharing.

Is the out of place coin the proof brass 3 pence (1954-)?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Enter me too.

Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Nice set, congrats on putting it togetherimage
  • Options
    Hey cool enter me please

Please Please Please Please please I hope thats not to many please's

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Options
    Please don't enter me, Dmitri, but that's a beautiful set you have there!

• Options
    Please, enter me in the this superb giveaway!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Cool set Dimitri. Don't enter me in the giveaway (unless the halfpenny date is 1922, that is!)
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Monday morning over here, almost 5 o'clock:

Brad (tbirde56) is the winner of the 1929 halfpenny (BU , almost full lustre)
    None of the PMs (for the 1936) penny was correct,

but Jester found it : it's the 1970 proof brass threepence that doesn't technically belong to the album .He wins the 1936 penny .

I already have the addresses image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the winners!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Congrats to the winners

Nice giveaway Dimitri......image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Thanks! And thanks for the great giveaway! image
    Brad Swain

• Options

<< <i>Brad (tbirde56) is the winner >>

Roy

• Options
    Congrats guys!

Nice giveaway, Dimitri!
    N. N.
  • Options
    Thanks again to Dimitri for the great giveaways (Harold's and UK):
    Brad Swain

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks indeed! I like my penny.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22