Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What (besides coins) have you learned about by being a coin collector?

Collecting coins is very educational - in many ways. One can learn about history, politics, human nature, business, law, etc.

What would you say is the most significant (non-coin) thing that you've learned by collecting coins?

I guess one thing I've learned is to be careful when buying things over the internet, as there are all kinds of scams going on. How about you?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    I have learned about greed, Perceived value vis avis real value, Fraternity and friendship, not to buy coins from close family, integrity, pride, Post office, UPS, Regular insurance, private insurance. and lots more!

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    not to trust internet sales..........a coin in hand is worht more than a digital pic
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    That I like to spend money! image
  • Options
    Patience!!! Research!!! Haggle for everything!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    I learned more about what I DON'T KNOW...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I've learned mainly about US history. The stories behind early US coinage are fascinating.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I have learned about the history of the Carson City and San Francisco mints as well as information about silver mining.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That there is a seller always looking to rip your hard earned money when you don't know what you are doing.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The minting process, and all the technology around it. A little more about the base side of human nature. I've learned interesting tidbits of history and nostalgia. I learned a little more about precious metals and how they are processed.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm learning macro photography.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weekly poverty.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Weekly poverty. >>

• Options
    I have learned that there are more nice coins than I can buy. Damitimage
    Michael
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've learned there are a lot of very smart people, from many different walks of life, in numismatics, but at the same time, there are many cantankerous (sic?) and opiniated people who will only believe what they already believe and want to make others believe the same thing.

In other words, coin collectors are a slice of the human pie...a fair sampling I think.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I've come to understand the truism "Rome wasn't built in a day." image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    I've come to appreciate the value of patience....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Bochiman said.

I've really been fascinated endlessly about how people who are so utterly different in so many ways can meet here with only our common love for coins, and hang out! It would never happen otherwise!
  • Options
    I've learned a lot about America's history.
    I've learned (the hard way) that there are dealers
    who will take advantage of a collector's ignorance.

Best of all, I've found a great bunch of people who
    are happy to help me by sharing their knowledge.

Skipper
  • Options
    I've learned about beauty--to be able to tell the difference between first and second rate in a physical artifact. I've also learned the intrinsic value of precious metals and why they are important.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatics has colored and affected every part of by life and education. I guess
    I have learned the most about myself.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Among other things I've learned that coin dealers are more cut throat than used car dealers.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Related to Shamika's comment... I'd never buy a used car. OTOH, I'd never buy a new coin.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I learned that coin collecting is more expensive than playing volleyball. I took up coin collecting when I couldn't play volleyball anymore.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I learned trying to out-snipe Russ for AH Kennedys is a real pain in the butt! Now with Don and Ken going after them also, it's very hard to get any of the good stuff!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I've learned that I am unable to control my compulsion to accumulate these little baubles.

The attempt to amass a 19th and 20th century type collection, a set of Peace Dollars, and a full set of Mercs (for my 9 year old son) in relatively short order has overpowered all other pastimes.

I haven't wrenched on a collectable, classic Chevy in months! Must have turned a page...
    The Body of Benjamin Franklin Printer (Like the cover of an old book Its contents torn out and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here, food for worms.
    But the work shall not be lost for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more elegant edition revised and corrected
    by The Author.

(Ben's epitaph)
  • Options
    That I control the precious metals market.

Yep...I'm a powerful dude. I buy gold, it drops like a rock. I sell gold, it shoots up like a rocket. Same with platinum or silver.

Now you know.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file