Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I thought I was overboard with my bid.

GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
Saw this 1900-O/CC PCGS63 on eBay and bid like I wanted it, or so I thought. Thought it was a lock at $500. I feel sorry for whoever buys it next.
Gilbert

Comments

• Options
    tough coin to buy but you should have wonimage
    Michael
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I think it's nice too, but it's not the Vam9. Last one I picked up not too long ago (Vam10) only ran me $395 and that was okay money. What a difference a couple months makes.

Here's the kicker. Over the exact same period of time, this coin in MS64 has moved in price, yet in 63 it seems to have appreciated by $150, at least, according to the Top100 Value-Guide.

Only problem is, people are paying as much for the more common O/CCs as they are for the tougher ones (Vam9 excluded).
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    lol. I checked the VAM too. VAM-8 I think. O/S Morgans in 63 have jumped too. 700 now. Used to be about 550.

• Options
    OK. Morgan newbie here. How come the mintmark says O and the coin labeled O/CC? I cannot see the CC connection here. It almost looks like in the last pic something is going on with the MM

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Long story short. Mintmarks were put on the DIES at the Main mint in Philadelphia. The cc (Carson City) mint closed in 1893 and the cc dies were never shipped. Seven years later New Orleans needed more DIES and called Philadelpha. A decision was made....so the "CC" was polished out (partially) and sent South after an 'O' was added. Thus the famous variety "O/CC" mintmark of 1900.

These are VAM numbers 7, 7A,8,9,10,11 & 12. VAM 9 is RARE and goes for even larger premiums. 7A is untested, may be large money.

I'm tired and I'm sure I missed something. Good night!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file