Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on this ebay auction...

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you guys think of this coin? Seller does ALOT of business... Check out his feedback for better or worse...

eagle

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty. The only quetion that caught my eye was the faint vertical lines obv and rev. ?cleaned. I'm not sure about that. I don't know how much this date is counterfeited. That's always a question with raw gold.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Hairlined pretty good (particularly the reverse). I'd buy it as such.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Yikes!! I think I wouldn't want to deal with him!! image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    He may sell a lot, but I still worry about anyone with only 98 percent positive feedback with 262 unique negatives and 318 neutrals. Terms also state all sales are "as-is" and without warranty, so that makes it clear there is no returns. I'd pass amd keep looking for a seller with better feedback who accepts returns. Coin looks off or cleaned to me as well, although I am by no means a gold expert.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    John, are you looking for trouble, or what?image

The coin appears to be hairlined and probably (at least lightly) cleaned. And, at it's current bid level of $197.50, it's already at full AU money. IMO, anything beyond that is a bad risk.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sub 99% feedback rating is only average at best. But I subscribe to the theory that 95% of the ebay buyers don't have a clue as to how to differentiate an AU55 from a MS61. And you may be able to extrapolate that to an AU53 to an MS63.

The coin looks UNCish at best and is probably an AU58. Could be cleaned. Luster is severely weakened from the protected areas of the fields to the open areas. As a rule, gold coins come with nice full cartwheels right down to MS60's except where coin contacted chatter and bagmarks interrupt it. Based on that I'd say it was likely cleaned. In any case why take the risk with a raw ebay gold when you can find PQ pieces in holders on the cheap? With days to go on this auction I'm sure this will end up selling for $210-$230 and it will with 95% certainty be no bargain. Is it even real? I have no experience with this seller as I have only bid on PCGS/NGC/ANACS gold on ebay.

Let us know how it turns out.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont worry, Not seriously considering buying the coin. You all picked out the areas that I was concerned about too. The hairlining is unfortunate...

Just cruising around ebay, that is all....

John
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes, no questioned it has been cleaned. Too bad though as it looks like it was uncirculated before hand. In my experience these bring XF money in this condition and XF money for a common gold coin such as this is about $10-$20 more than the bullion value- about $200. mike image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file