Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where was your family 280 years ago? (Yes, Cammie, this is coin related)

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Mine was in New York, already on the third generation in this country. The original progenitor of my family arrived at Raccoon Creek, Maryland on the ship Kent in August of 1677 and quickly moved to Hempstead, NY, where he made rope for a living. His children already had children when that coin was minted.

I just think it's pretty cool to wonder if any of my ancestors ever used that coin to buy something. image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    I think my family was still living in caves considering I look like the missing link. image
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Ireland, probably rejecting this coinage so it would have to be "unloaded" on the American colonies.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Damned if I know!
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Sir Robert Heath, attorney-general of Charles I, was granted the Cape Fear area, incorporated as the Province of Carolina, in 1629.

Since then, we've been able to reduce the holdings to about 10 acres. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    The onlypart that I know about back that far was still in Ireland at that time. They didn't come over until 1792.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    My family was most likely still in Mass. My ancestor John came to the colonies in 1634. He had a Puritan following, and lived with the Pilgrims in Scituate when he first came, then founded the town of Barnstable.

Ray
  • Options
    Well one bunch was in Scotland another in Penn. and another in virginia. And on group was causing Trouble in France.
    Rotten Rodney
    "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental
    illness."
    Remember. ... First pillage, Then burn

• Options
    Thanks to my my Grandfather's brother (my Granduncle?) and all his extensive research and documentation, I can tell you that they were farming in what is now Virginia having come here from Wales in 1645.

Probably growing that nasty tobacco, I'm sure. I know they made liquor/moonshine and traded it to native Americans.

I could tell you the ship and more details if I wasn't stuck at my office on a Sunday afternoon.

I do know that having come from Wales they did have to buy a couple of vowels as soon as they got here. Those who understand the Welsh language will know what I mean. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭
    Glascow, Scotland for my dads side of the family(came to America circa 1670), somewhere in Ireland for the moms side(arrived circa 1700)......and once they got over here, a little Cherokee and Creek indian thrown in for good measure.
    imageimage

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    My relatives were still living in Wurzburg, Germany as they did not come to North Carolina for twenty more year (in 1743), probably drinking lots of good German beer with all their debased money.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This history could get long as I'm somewhat of a "hinze 57"

Some of my ancestors were here for many centuries (or even mellenia) as I have two tribes of Inidan in me

Most of my family was still in England, Germany, Ireland, and several other smaller European countries.

At the time of those really cool coins, my family was either still in Europe or fighting the whiteman in the new world.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine were in Germany and Ireland.... peace loving people! image . K
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    They say all men ascended from apes except the Welsh, and they came from Wales. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My "family" didn't exist - ALL my ancestors were in Sweden..... image Mine is the first generation to dilute the bloodline.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Moms side of the family was in China... Dads side was hanging out in Portugal... not sure what they were doing though, I have trouble remembering what was going on yesterday.

chelle
  • Options
    Ukrainian serfs working the farmland subjugated by the Russian czar. (No kidding, I did extensive research).
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Jail? image

-KHayse
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Keith, your ancestors are from Australia??

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I'm a mutt. My German relatives came over in 1611 (stayed in New Jersey area). My Irish descendants came over in 1830s (New York)and made their fortune in the Shasta Gold Rush (California) then helped to found the First National Gold Bank of San Francisco (Now is Crocker Bank or whoever owns that bank now?).
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    If it was "Jail" in Australia then it's known as "gaol".
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Virginia. image

• Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Half of my family was in Sweden. One quarter were in the Ukraine, and the other quarter were all over, including New England.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My namesake ancestor came to the US from Germany in 1694. I believe they were mainly in North Carolina. So I guess they were spitting out kids in 1723.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Sorry can only trace back to the civil war, before that it's all a blur! Somewhere in my family tree, we have a hitman know as the Iceman (Richard Kuklinski). That's way freaky!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Paternal line were still in the Alsace in 1723.....headed for America in 1750. My famous Scot in America was the Overseer at Mary Ball Washington's Ferry Farm from 1768 to 1772, and probably had been here since at least the late 1600s, but alas the critical records burned in Church fires long ago.

And then those pesky Cherokee cousins, well, who knows how long they had been hanging in the Carolina hills.....
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    280 years ago my father's side was still in Austria. My mom's side was already well established in the Roanoake Virginia area. They're the Atkins and Huddlestons and so on in that area.
  • Options
    I'm told that I'm from Stuart bloodline(Scotland) , the bloodline of Mary Stuart (a.k.a. Mary, Queen of Scots, sobriquet... Bloody Mary). With all that said....WHERE'S ME CASTLE?......image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    This Mexicana snook across the Border at a young age....... not sure what/who/where my family was or is.... 280 years ago....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    My family was in Mass. and RI at that time. I am decended from 7 or 8 of the Mayflower passengers. If only somebody way back then felt about coins the same that I do!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    fathers side was living free in the Maine woods until my mother side moved them the to indian island and made them weave baskets and make boat for a living at slave wages.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    William Deveny (now spelled DeVinney) came from Dungannon, Ireland in about 1710 to Manmouth, NJ.
    They moved to Penn. in about 1740 and then to Rutherford, NC in about 1770. I was born in 1946 in Morganton, NC which is not far from there.

So the answer is Manmouth, NJ.

Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file