Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The semi key dates. Always fun, somewhat affordable, and necessary. Overall a great and undervalue

I always start my sets with the semi keys. Great bargains in all series. You Barber and Indian guys know what I'm talking about. Gotta love the semi keys. Share yours. Here is my recent win on Ebay.
1926-S 10c PCGS-30. One tough date in any grade!

Your thoughts!
and share yours also. Any series!

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin wingedliberty.image I agree 100%, you gotta love those semi keys. I like them in the lower circulated condition.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Nice ... I am particularly enamored of the "semi-key" Buffs ... trying finding those in decent grade and when you can, the price seems a relative bargain ...
  • Options
    "NGC fatties". Paul:
    You just coined a new frase.
  • Options
    You're right about the Buffs. They are riddled with them.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are comfortable with your grading skills, its okay to jump into the semi-keys and keys...if not, start with lesser expensive coins in the series first and develop a comfort level before spending $$$.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Brian,

I just received my grades today on some coins I sent in. Included in the group was a 1926-S XF45! I just added it to my set.

Congrats on your score!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Tony:
    COngradulations on your 26-S in XF. Excellent!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 26-s Merc is a toughy along with that semi forgotten semi key the 25-d.

A lot of people forget about how tough some of the semi-keys can be to locate unless there set building. A majority of these coins are way undervalued IMO. But it takes a collector driven market to put enough demand on them to raise the market value, which has been occurring in some series.

Some collectors who don't build sets, simply either select a high grade specimen (usually common) for a type set or grab one of the widely known keys instead and dont really know what dates are tough in a specific series.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I always find myself buying key and semi-key from various series and forgetting the rest. I like the rarity.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Good observations.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    On my Indian Cent set I"ve been working hard and thus far have the 1868,1969,1872,1909-S as those are the semi-keys in that series. You can't just get all the easy ones to start: you need to go for the semi-keys or you will get discouraged when you've finished with all the easy ones.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Tom:
    You're 100% correct. Its easy to get discouraged when you've spent all your money on the commons and discover that it may cost you more for one key or semi key than the entire group of commons. Its good to alternate and spread the wealth, so to speak.
    That 26-S is $100 in VF and a 16D is $400 in AG3, so thats $500, that would translate into 20 common date MS65 Mercs. Nice 20:2 , or 10:1 ratio. An approximation, but the message is clear. Spread the wallet around and make it easier and more enjoyable for yourself.
  • Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Another good choice is the 1894 Liberty nickel. You do not see many around. Their POPs in choice/gem grades are comparable to the '85 and '86 but they sell for much less in the same grades.

Do not need to worry from my end. Got my 63 last year at ANA NYC. Pretty soon I will be sending it to PCGS in hopes of getting back a 64! Mighty good chance.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough date that old 26S is.....image

• Options
    Nice coin Ken!
  • Options
    Is someone pulling the wool over our eyes? imageimage

• Options
    That "S" looks photoshopped if you ask me. image
  • Options
    Ken,

With that one, I'm drooling all over the key board.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    If you are comfortable with your grading skills, its okay to jump into the semi-keys and keys...if not, start with lesser expensive coins in the series first and develop a comfort level before spending $$$

Sage advice there.
  • Options
    how come yall can see, but i just get two red Xs. image
  • Options
    Hey do these two guys think I do not own that coin ? Check the Set Boys. Its in there.

Thanks Brian and Tony. I finally just this afternoon got a decent picture of the coin. Whoever had the slab before me trashed the thing.

Ken
  • Options
    Cam I have been getting Red X's also. I right click the coin and then it shows up. Hope this does not start to happen again like it did a couple of months ago.

Ken
  • Options
    Cam,

<< <i>how come yall can see, but i just get two red Xs. >>

I had to right click and then click on show image.

Tony

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    About ten years ago I went to a coin show that was relatively small but it was the largest one in my small town area, I think there was 75 tables. I knew the guy who ran the show and I was looking for a 21 and a 21-D dime to fill out my wifes raw set and got really aggravated because I couldn't find any. He announced by intercom that I wanted these dates and I think I paid a huge amount for the only two that were there, I think it was 60.00 for both in EF. There were a couple of 16-D's and some of the overdates-but I was happy with the ones we got----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Wow. Thats a neat trick. The obv pic was up but the rev pic was still an X. I right-clicked, chose show picture
    and BOOM there it is.

• Options
    I think it was 60.00 for both in EF

O-M-G....I know that seemed like alot 10 years ago but today?
    What-A-Bargain. $60 for both in EF?

Ya, Thats a bargain today buddy
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few semi-keys from the BAJJERFAN collection:

79-CC acpped die
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Semi key #2. Maybe I should learn to type.

A Nice 95-S
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Another tough semi-key Morgan.

A Tough To Find 79-CC
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    A fairly nice 95-S.

95-S PCGS AU55
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    I have a few more but they are in hiding and unavailable for pics. Good advice to get those keys and semi keys first or when they become available. Many are scarce in a nice circulated grade; just ask those trying to find em. Besides if YOU don't I will and the prices just keep going UP!
    Got this one off eBay awhile back when no one else was interested. The seller was auctioning off coins from his registry set.

A Toughie but a NICE one
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Even in type collecting, I like to try for the "better" dates. I guess I rank dates as key, semi-key, better, and common. Often the better dates only cost a little more. In proof seated halves, something like the 1877 is a great buy. Much harder to find then a common grade for grade, yet it costs the same.

Greg
  • Options
    Fairlaneman:

I have no doubt whatsoever that you have a nice 1926-s Merc... I just saw the scan that you posted, noticed the angle of the "s" mintmark and thought that you were having alittle fun with us. BTW, FSB on a 1926-s is not all that common...at least from where I sit.

• Options
    coinkat

You made me look at the position of the S on some of my other dimes. It appears that around 1925 the position was moved upward and with some of the dates to follow there is a little more slant. Apparently a new person started punching the mint mark in and liked it a little higher. The 26S does appear to have the most slant though. If you were to view the dates before 1926 it would be quite easy to say, Hey this guy is goofing around with us. image

Here is the reverse of my 25S that shows the S more upward on the coin but with less slant than the 26S. A Semi-Key the old 25S.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file