Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1972 Low Pops

Well, I totally and completely struck out on a series of low pop '72s that finished on ebay today. I can't justify spending greater than 2-3 X SMR on these commons, especially with the recent thread about the large number of 70s submissions in the last 10 months. I've got to believe that some of these pops will increase in the next year or 2 to drive prices down a tad. As a matter of fact, I have several 72 low pops heading to Newport this week including a Paul Schall IA, Fuentes, & C. Jones IA that could get 8s. Fingers crossed! image Here's a rundown on the recent ebay sales:

#22 Rob Gardner $18.50 11- 8s 1- 9
#32 Cleon Jones IA $33.03 10- 8s 0- 9
#292 Hal McRae IA $60.01 9- 8s 1- 9
#377 Terry Harmon $18.50 10- 8s 2- 9
#519 Ted Abernathy $33.06 11- 8s 0- 9
#533 Ralph Houk $26.00 9- 8s 1- 9
#670 Ken Holtzman $43.00 11- 8s 2-9
#467 Steve Kline $9.50 11- 8s 3- 9

Look at the last two. Basically the same pops and the Holtzman goes for so much more. I believe that is because of the reputation the Holtzman has for being such a tough card whereas Kline doesn't have that reputation.
1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens

Comments

• KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    ABBAdad...

As the receipiant of 3 of those cards, I was THRILLED to reduce my magic number to 33. Low pop's on the 72 set are tough now...just like they were 1 year ago...just like they are going to be a year from now.

The 72 set is enjoyable until you hit "the Wall"...
    (just ask Frank, Dave R, Castaldi, Jarvi, Downey...Did I leave anybody out..???...)

Good Luck and don't get discouraged !!!

(BTW...I nabbed that cheap Kline card for $9.50...Life is good!!!.....)

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Larry,

I started to bid on that Kline card, but didn't because I've got another on the way to PSA that could grade out at 8. It's a 7/8 slider. We'll see what comes of that. Congrats on getting the Kline so cheap!!

David

• carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Larry,

I hear you when you talk about hitting the 1972 Baseball "wall". A couple of years ago I was the second person to complete that monster of a set (After the great Frank "Chew" Bakka). Before I decided to sell my set I started to try to upgrade it.

OMG...Finding a bargin on ebay was very rare. Especially when you and Dave Read came along...lol. I think I got out at just the right time, with a full head of hair.

Carlos
  • King:

Less than a 10 spot for the Kline card; that's obscene. My cost 6-18 months ago:

#22 Rob Gardner $25
    #32 Cleon Jones IA $45
    #292 Hal McRae IA $67.50
    #377 Terry Harmon $13.50
    #519 Ted Abernathy $54
    #533 Ralph Houk $20
    #670 Ken Holtzman $67.50
    #467 Steve Kline $54

But that includes shipping!
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Larry:

By the way, didn't I get that Gardner from you? That's the worst centered card in my whole set! Humm, maybe an upgrade is needed there.
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Dave,

I wouldn't doubt that the Gardner was from Larry. If I remember correctly... there is only 1 Gardner in PSA 9 and that one was on eBay about 18 months ago.... And I remember saying "No Mas" that night figuring that I'd go for the next on in another week or two... Pop is still 1... and I'm still waitin....
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    DaveRead...

I remember that card.....I thought eBay would provide me with enough scratch to put a kid through college....NOT !!!...........Off center??? Here's what you can do...Drink a lot of beer, and stare deeply into any Kellogg's 3-D card...........Not only would the centering improve...You'll probably think you have 3 of 'em..(Sell the one in the middle....ha...)

FB...
    Yeah...I still have that 9 in my set....(Seems like cards with the last diget of "2" always are tough....2.....22............. ) Someday I might give it to you.

Ohhhh...The good 'ole days.....

Larry

I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

CHEERS!!
  • Whaddya mean, the "good old days" Larry? These are the good old days! I just posted my beginnings of a 1972 set on the registry so it ought to be visible in a couple of days, and I have led it out of the darkness, so the world can now see what I need! 1972 commons? Bring 'em on!!!
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭
    Larry> "The Wall" is relative. Having pretty much done the set once already, I definitely changed my approach this time. Now, once I pick up a Shcaal IA and Wills IA, the other 30% or so will be largely academic - because I've pretty much wrapped up all the tough cards. And even after hitting "The Wall", pursuing the set is just as much fun.

AbbaDad> Something to consider. . .if a 72T card is still low-pop/tough even after all those 70s submissions in the last year, doesn't that go to show how tough those cards really are? Sure the pop may increase, but relative to the other cards in the set they'll be just as tough. The other thing to consider is that population tells only part of the story. Take card# 582 - Expos Team. The pop is 9 in PSA8 and one PSA9. Doesn't sound that tough, right?
    Well, lets look at the Expos Team card for a moment -
    EO has the PSA9 of this card. . .so where are the nine PSA8s?
    1 - FB has a PSA8 in his set
    2 - EJ has a PSA8 in his set
    3 - Dave Read has an 8 in his set
    4 - Neil has one PSA8
    5 - RC Snoopy has one PSA8
    6 - John Constantino has a PSA8
    7-9 - I happen to have the other three PSA8s

So. . .sure there are nine PSA8s - but none of them are currently "in play". As a result, you can expect any of them that do come to market to command a premuim. The situation is similar with #532 - Fred Kendall. Just by doing a little digging, you can get an idea how many examples can theoretically be "in play" and work down from there.

Mike

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Mike,

You make very good points as always. I do have an Expos team card that might get the 8 on the way to PSA, but there are several of the other low pop cards that I don't have in very good raw form and your points would be well advised to be heeded.

David

So Mike...'Ol Buddy....'Ol Pal....

What's it going to take to pry one of those 582's from 'ya....Hmmmmmm.....

(you know I have a large wife and family to support...image)

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    oooo Larry.....

Don't let your wife see that you put "large" before wife instead of family..... or we'll be working out deals with HER after the memorial service!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Another thing AbbaDad> About the Holtzman. . .if you look at the previous sales, the last one went in the $40-50 range and the ones before that went for more. One reason why it would go for more than the other cards in the list with comparable pops is because it's a high#. 12 to 18 months ago, it wasn't unusual to see regular high# commons reaching into the $30+ range. So in my mind, getting a low-pop Holtzman in the low $40s is something of a bargain.

Mike
    Larry> " So Mike...'Ol Buddy....'Ol Pal....What's it going to take to pry one of those 582's from 'ya....Hmmmmmm....."

Well. . .I'm still waiting for a response to my request for a list of what you need. Send that to me and then I'm sure we can work something out.

Mike
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    i don't collect the 72 set but i do enjoy reading about the tough cards and i probably could tell you what 9's that frank and olender needs.
    maybe i have too much spare time on my handsimage.
    i was just wondering what the record price was for a non star card was?
    it won't be long till dsl comes up with the schaal in action card in a 9.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Jack> I generally don't get into the fray on the PSA9s - my limits for them are pretty easily exceeded. But. . .for PSA8s, the highest price I've seen was the Maury Wills IA. I seem to remember that card went in the neighborhood of $260 or so. Partially because it was the last card Dave Read needed to finish his set in all PSA8 or better - and partially because it's a darned tough card. Almost always centered 90/10. But. . .if you look at the Vintage Trading Forum, for the last six weeks or so I've had a stnading offer of $225 for the next Schaal IA I see in PSA8 NQ and $175 for the next Maury Wills IA I see in 8 NQ. So far noone has collected on these - so the offers still stand.

Mike
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    mike give dsl some time and i am sure they will hook you up. i often wonder if they did have such a creature and you called them would they sell it or put on ebay?if you try to do that lmk if it worked because they have a card that i would like to direct purchase from them.
    i am sure you have seen this low pop also. were is eric?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658