Home U.S. Coin Forum

What Do You Think Is Going To Happen With Carson City DMPL Morgans

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Having read on here people thought they were undervalued, I've noticed the price of these double within the last year. Now that's for nice black and white frosty nice looking ones mind you. And of course most any coin that is very eye-appealing is going to cost more. The sheets have barely moved up in price but the dealers are basically all asking close to the same price for them which is about double sheet prices what I am seeing.

My main source for the CC DMPL Morgan's (which he has the best and biggest inventory around imo) says he's having to pay much more and I can understand that to a point.

Do you think collectors drove the price up so fast on these? Or do you think the Dealers just thought they were undervalued, and started driving the price up on their own? And said the heck with the sheets.
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• I would say it is the collector demand that is pushing up prices. If collectors are buying at certain levels and the dealers keep selling then at those levels then that is where the price increase is coming from. Someone did a pie chart and showed only 2% of the total Morgan production was CC dollars. I guess rarity is coming into play also.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone did a pie chart and showed only 2% of the total Morgan production was CC dollars. I guess rarity is coming into play also. >>

Yes I saw that chart and found it to be of interest. Then add that DMPL will be even more scarce.
    Ok, well my 'Real" question would be.... do folks feel they will just keep going up sooo fast as I've seen in the last year and still undervalued? Heck, just by this thread I might drive up the price.image
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Heck, just by this thread I might drive up the price.
    It has me thinking about getting one now. Anyone have a DMPL 1878 CC for sale?
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I think that STMAN is going to buy up all the CC DMPL dollars on the market and then the rest of us will have to go to him and pay him stupid money just for the right to own one.image

GSAGUY

BTW STMAN, if you're going to make the LB show, I'll try to bring a few 'cute' DMPL GSA's for you to see.image
  • Quality Morgans are going up like crazy. Even quality common dates are going up and I can imagine the more disirable dates/mintmarks even more so. Quality as in MS65/66/67 grades are up about 25% to 35% over prices from spring of last year for some common dates. Last year I got my 79-S MS66 for $210. Now it`s up to nearly $250 - $300 retail at some places. With this price run going on, it`s probably best to be even more picky and wait out for something extra special for common dates. Even some of the early S-mint`s in MS64 are experiencing a price jump of about 15% from spring of last year. Fortunately, for me at least, I got a few dates that I wanted before the current price run.image
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    It is not collectors that drove prices up on common date DMPL CC dollars in MS64 and above in the past 6-12 months. There were no new registry sets created exclusively for DMPL CC dollars, nor did collectors just wake up one day and decide they just HAD to have a DMPL CC dollar at any price, nor did everyone in numismatics suddenly discover how scarce high grade, true B&W DMPL CC dollars are overnight, nor were any destroyed to my knowledge making them more scarce. It is dealer games and manipulation of prices.

There are thousands of these DMPL CC pieces in existence in MS64DMPL and better, and while I would concede that many are just marginally DMPL coins, especially many of the NGC ones, they are not particularly rare pieces IMO. Again, it's dealers that manipulate prices. Fortunately for me, I've always liked DMPL CC's and still have over 60 DMPL CC coins, but the recent price increases don't really make me want to sell mine, as the REALLY nice ones are tough to find, and always have been.

dragon
    Well, I have to agree somewhat with Dragon's very honest response on this one. Everything he explained is what I've seen. I just didn't want to start the thread like that. I don't feel collectors all of a sudden woke up and decided they wanted a dmpl cc Morgan, very few dealers carry these and they have been promoting how undervalued they are and IMO just have made the prices much higher recently. I honestly feel it will reflect in the sheets very slowly. Problem is once the sheets catch up, then said Dealers might DOUBLE that price.

And please don't take this as a slam on dealers as that's not my intent. Just the way I've seen it in the last year or so.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heck, just by this thread I might drive up the price. >>

I hope so. I have one listed on eBay right now. image

Russ, NCNE
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, eventually prices increase to a point where true collectors recognize additional value in some of the other coins in the series, or coins in other series. I have been collecting Morgan Dollars for a very long time, and I typically buy them during the down cycles in the market.

Now that DMPL/PL CC Morgans are very hot, I am starting to diversify my purchases into some other series which I feel are undervalued, such as Seated Liberty, Capped Bust Halves, and Draped Bust coins.

I also feel that nice original AU-58 pre-Civil War era U.S. coins are extremely undervalued. As a collector I enjoy beautiful original coins with full mint luster, either toned or white. I prefer AU-58 coins which have a hint of rub, all of the beauty -- sometimes better strike & luster than MS-60 & 61 coins, for a fraction of the price.

I always try to pick market niches for coins that I enjoy, when the market is focusing on something else. Also, there are not enough of the above mentioned coins for dealers to care about having a strong market influence on price.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    <<<Well, I have to agree somewhat with Dragon's very honest response on this one. Everything he explained is what I've seen. I just didn't want to start the thread like that.>>>

stman, Yes, all my posts are honest, sincere, and as candid as possible, as I have no other hidden agendas on posting here other than to share and gain knowledge with others that have a common interest in numismatics.

dragon
    Dragon, sounds good and I'm glad you replied to this thread as I hoped you would. It's nice to know we agree on what the market seems to be, and the prices for these coins.

Although nobody really does good with a crystal ball.... do you feel the market for these CC DMPL Morgans is going to continue to go nuts?

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar demand is out there for the GSA packaged CC dollars too.
    It's unbelievable.

The CC dollars seem to form nearly a perfect niche for set completion: very popular, enough coins in existence to be promotable and buyable, very stunning...esp in dmpl, low mintage,
    and a small enough # of coins so as not break your back like completing a full Morgan set, esp in dmpl. Yes there are 2 big boys in that set but that gives the millionaires something to compete against each other for. Those with shallower pockets can still have fun with the other dates and make a nice set. It's hard to beat the CC mystique: short, sweet, and popular.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    stman,

I remember a ways back in the late 80's when David Hall had an offer where you paid money to receive his list of PCGS graded coins that were "guaranteed to double in price within 1 year" or your money back. One coin on this list one year was the 1924 Peace dollar in PCGS MS65. About 1 week after this list went public, I was in the office of a dealer I used to deal with quite often and low and behold, he whips out a full PCGS box of 1924 MS65 Peace dollars (20 coins), isn't that just an incredible coincedence?? Actually, this list became what is commonly known as a self fulfilling prophecy..........David Hall says that 1924 Peace dollars are going to double in price in 1 year, so of course everyone and their brother rushes out to buy as many as they can lay their hands on, and suddenly a once common coin that nobody really wanted is now a "hot" coin and going up in price every week on the greysheet because dealers are raising their bids every week in a panic to get them for clients as well as themselves. In this case, the price actually doubled in like 3 or 4 months due to the mad rush on 1924 Peace dollars, and David Hall fulfills his guaranty, keeps the 10's of thousands of dollars for his "magic pick", and some individuals including many dealers make a very nice short term profit trading PCGS MS65 1924 Peace dollars.

I mention the above story to illustrate exactly how thinly traded the coin market is, and how easily prices can be manipulated by a few influential people in a very short time frame, and how hype and perception of value can work in the coin industry IMO. As far as common date DMPL CC dollars, I have no clue how high they will go, but anytime coins that were once readily available and have pops in the hundreds or thousands suddenly disappear from the marketplace, and DOUBLE in value within a few months, that is not simply collector demand out of the blue IMO, nor a situation where they were grossly undervalued and just recently "discovered". Take a look at the PCGS and NGC pops. for just common date DMPL CC's in 64 or better alone, they exist in the thousands, in fact, just for the 3 commonest dates of 82-CC, 83-CC, and 84-CC, there are nearly 3600 of them graded by PCGS alone in 64 or better, and that's not even counting all the NGC ones.

dragon
  • It is dealer games and manipulation of prices.

Dragon, you speakth of a truth greater than yee knowth.

Last November I asked a major national dealer about DMPLs he laughed and said stay away, common coins which can and are heavily manipulated by dealers. I bought two from him anyway, one for my type set and one to "play" with and will be sold at Jan ANA. I may sell the type set one as well.

These coins as you say are so available when not hoarded it's amusing they are suddenly "rare" when thousands are out there.

Edited to add, the dealer also warned me about patterns. So now we have the pattern book that has come out and a registry in the making. Patterns heavily promoted in auctions. Can the hype be far behind? The pattern market is so thin you need an oxygen mask. image
  • For the value players, which would you rather buy at today's levels. An 1885-CC (non-DMPL) in MS-64 or a 1950-D Franklin in MS-65 FBL, each of which are around $500 give or take.

The 85-CC in MS-64 has a PCGS Population of 4547 with 2898 higher, the 1950-D shows 281/20. Certainly a number of nice CC's still exist in GSA holders and elsewhere, while most of the nice Franklins come from Mint Sets, a luxury not afforded the series in 1950.

Both are popular and widely collected, neither suffering from the general lack of interest that say, Half Dimes do. If you didn't care what type of coin you bought and were purely concerned about future price appreciation, which would you choose and why?

I'm not knocking CC's or pushing Franklins, just a comparison that I found interesting. One of many that can certianly be made.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Quality Morgans are going up like crazy. Even quality common dates are going up and I can imagine the more disirable dates/mintmarks even more so. Quality as in MS65/66/67 grades are up about 25% to 35% over prices from spring of last year for some common dates"

I sure hope that is the case, but, I will tell you about my one limited experience with the "low pop" Morgan Dollar market (and I acknowledge I am not talking about a "CC" coin here). I bought a collection of coins earlier this year which included a lovely 1900(p) Morgan in PCGS-MS67 (super low pop (8/0) finest known coin and fully brilliant as well). As you know, I do not deal in the Morgan market, but, bought the coin as part of a much larger lot. Bottom line - I can not find a buyer at Grey Sheet raw bid for this PCGS-MS67 brilliant and lovely specimen!!! If this was a pop top silver Wash quarter or MS67 better date Buffalo nickel or myriad other coins, I would have sold it instantly at Grey Sheet bid+++++. How good can the market truly be on Morgans when a pop 8/0 turn of the century coin in a PCGS-MS67 holder can't command Grey Sheet bid?

I am not attacking Morgans here (I love the series and have a nice little raw collection), but, where is the true strength when a coin like this can't command Grey Sheet bid? I have to agree with Dragon on his comment on the "thin" market. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    There is something about the double mint mark that defys logic, reason or statistical

data. Truly clean, black and white mirrored coins are and will remain desireable. There is no doubt

that marginal DM PL morgan CC will to some degree be subject to hype and manipulation, because the

number available make it possible. The cream of the crop will remain rare and difficult to find. At the

moment ,I do not see a lot pf DMPL Morgan CC dollars floating around, I guess that someone must be

sitting on 400 -500 of them, waiting for the right moment. image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • well....aside from all the blah blah blah...pl and dmpl cc dollars are as common than their non pl or dmpl counterparts except for the fact of nice sweet looking mirrors,cameo contrasts,mingled maybe with some rainbow tone etc...i think in another 6-7 mos we'll see them get forcefully driven back down to the 150-175 range for 65 1882,3,4 & $365 or so on the 81 & 85 in 65, possible to maintain $500 on the 80 but the rest of the tougher dates will all fall back where they are supposed to be in unhype-land....yes,lord yes, and a lot of idiots will be stuck with some very purty coins at some very stupid money,never make a dime on them and end up blowin em out in the next 2 years therfore and thus making all the ones these folks are currently paying 250-300 for common 65's and 500+ for 81 & 85's and phenominally stupid prices for even a glimmer of rainbow tone on them or pl/dmpl cameo. all of these folks will be stuck like they did for at least 4 or 5 2 to 3 year cycles off of the cc dollar dealer profits. see, there are enough dogs,overgrades and complete duds in inventories unmoved for so long now because,well,hell,their dogs and fugly as hell junk. soon,like cloclwork will finally start hittin the suppressed unseen bids and therefore all the decent coins likewise go down with them. then they'll (the select 6 or 7 high quanity inventory of dog cc $) will bottom buy em back in again and do it all over again. look at it like this it's a stable money maker if you are in the mix with the moolah. you throw down 150-200g in common cc $ avg as can be over a 2 or 3 mos time-frame,you run em up from 150+ to $200+ to $300+ while you are doing you other regular routine coin business, then in a few mos/year time dump em all out (shows/auctions/idiots/etc) and basically while your everyday business is running like clockwork you've taken say $200g and turned it into $350g. BOOM, knock em down start over. CC dollars are the easiest morgans to manipulate over simply no reason at all except "hype and idiot perceptionof the infamous cc dollar" dont be offended, be educated and take from it what is said. i tried to sell as many $130-160 82,3,4 cc pcgs ms65 dollars as we could place 2/3 years ago. NObody wanted em. however a few clients sunk in pretty good on "just slabs". yes, there are alwayls those you dont ever want to part with, not just for market strategy coins,etc,which is what makes your profit to pay for your free collection and easy ceo-like retirement fooling with rare coins....this is abc,123,of making money and building free coin collections. cc dollars are a great way to do it. so are the 50-64 proof sets. next year they'll be back down to half what they are today. buy em,hold em,blow em. do good (and get the goodies out while you're at it)
    Tonelover... compare the coveted CC Morgans to ummm Franklins? shame on youimage I understand what you're getting at though.

Thanks for all the replies to the thread. I was very sincere asking opinions what folks thought about the prices lately for the CC DMPL Morgans. A few compared and brought up just the regular mintstate CC Morgans which I like as well, and there is big demand for those as well but not as much as the DMPL IMO.

Also, My concern on pricing in the future was NOT trying to see what was a good investment or seeing if I could make money on the coins. I am just a grumpy old collector wondering if I will be able to buy anymore if the market is going to be out of reach.

But I can say, there has and will always be demand for these type of coins and don't think one will go too wrong with them. I also feel once the prices are up on these type of coins they WON"T come back down. JMO.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a 83CC in ms65DMPL that I bought last week and listed it on Ebay with a buy it now. Coin was sold within 24 hours. >>

Jason,

An 83CC, huh? How much did it sell for? image

Russ, NCNE
  • russ

it was a 84 (same greysheet value) and it sold for $820 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file