Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

BJs on a roll!

Any one notice how many sets were added today? Did BJ get a double cappuccino at Starbucks today? Wow!

8/28/03
New set composites online:
1908 American Caramel E91 Baseball
1909 American Caramel E91 Baseball
1910 American Caramel E91 Baseball
1951 Topps Red Back Panels Baseball
1961 Topps Stamps Baseball
1962 Kahns Weiners Baseball
Woodie Held Basic Set
Woodie Held Master Set
Bob Turley Basic Set
Bob Turley Master Set
1970 Topps New York Yankees
1980 Topps California Angels
1997 Pinnacle Inside WNBA Court Collection Basketball
Bill Bradley Basic Set
Bill Bradley Master Set
Dave Debusschere Basic Set
Dave Debusschere Master Set
Willis Reed Basic Set
Willis Reed Master Set
1997 Upper Deck Legends Football
1997 Upper Deck Legends Big Game Hunters Football
1997 Upper Deck Legends Marquee Matchups Football
1997 Upper Deck Legends Sign Of The Times Football
Hall of Fame Chicago Bears
1968-69 O-Pee-Chee Puck Stickers Hockey
1977 Topps OPC Glossey Inserts Hockey

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better

Comments

• Options
    A Bob Turley basic and Master set? What is next? A Dick Schofield Master set?
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I might attemp that 1997 UD Legends Sign of the Times. That's a really great set.
  • Options
    BuckWheat,

There are a lot of sets I personally would never attempt ..But hey to each his own ... Here are a few more examples:

Player Sets

Will Clark Basic Set
    Will Clark Master Set
    Josh Fogg Basic Set
    Josh Fogg Master Set
    Pepe Frias Master Set
    Harvey Haddix Basic Set
    Harvey Haddix Master Set
    Woodie Held Basic Set
    Woodie Held Master Set
    Jeff Kent Basic Set
    Jeff Kent Master Set
    Joe Jay Basic Set
    Joe Jay Master Set
    Dave Justice Basic Set
    Dave Justice Master Set
    Mickey Lolich Basic Set
    Mickey Lolich Master Set
    Greg Luzinski Basic Set
    Greg Luzinski Master Set
    Don Mattingly Basic Set
    Sam McDowell Basic Set
    Sam McDowell Master Set
    Dale Murphy Basic Set
    Dale Murphy Master Set
    Mike Mussina Basic Set
    Mike Mussina Master Set
    Johnny Pesky Basic Set
    Johnny Pesky Master Set
    Boog Powell Basic Set
    Boog Powell Master Set
    Alan Trammell Basic Set
    Alan Trammell Master Set
    Bob Turley Basic Set
    Bob Turley Master Set
    Matt Williams Basic Set
    Matt Williams Master Set

One has to wonder if this just a way for some people to get a registry certificate for the best set....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Isn't the idea of collecting is to collect what you like? The collecting world would be boring if we only collected Mantle & Mays. Choose the sets you want to collect, the players, the teams, the themes. As long as BJ and co will put it on the registry, go for it and have some fun...jay
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I agree with qualitycards full heartedly. I collect Reggie White cards and most people wouldn't give him a second thought. Allthough he is argueably the best defensive end we've seen in quite some time. image
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    LuxuryWines,

WHY did you have to put Matt Williams on that list? Pepe Frias I can understand but not Matt Williams.

I have a registerd set of MW cards but I will not get a certificate because another board member has a bigger collectionimage

Matt
    UK based collector.
  • Options
    Matt,
    Read my top line Those are player sets That I would never collect but to each his own Out of curiosity why Matt Williams? I have not run into many MAtt Willliams collectors...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    LOL! Let everyone collect what they want. I for one never saw Mantle play nor do I care to collect his cards other than what I may need for a set. I did however see Alan Trammell play and will be doing a set of his cards eventually.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy that my Hall of Fame Chicago Bears set was approved. My more ambitious 4-sport Chicago Hall of Fame set wasn't, so just getting the Bears set was a good start.
  • Options
    Jeff, I am only messing with you. image

I know putting together a PSA graded set of Matt's card is unusual and I am never going to be able to sell them for a profit but it is all about the fun and the thrill of the chase.

And I collect Matt Williams because I also am Matt Williams. (he is also a pretty good ball player as well, which helps.)

Matt Williams

UK based collector.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>Isn't the idea of collecting is to collect what you like? The collecting world would be boring if we only collected Mantle & Mays. Choose the sets you want to collect, the players, the teams, the themes. >>

I couldn't agree more with Jay and Doug. More power to anyone that supports this hobby.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I also believe that there are enough "awards" to go around so why try to hoard them all.

Creeper - based on your logo - I'm betting that you're the guy who requested the 72 Angels Team Set. I thought about listing mine as a subset of my 72 Topps set. But, then decided that I'll be happy to win the 72 Topps category and maybe the 72 OPC category (if I can get over 50%) for one more year and leave the Angels Team and any other 72 team subsets their requestors.

In keeping with the theme of this thread - collect what you like - and there is no reason for others to dampen your enthusiasm just because they can.

*edited because I spell like a 6 year old*
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Frank-

That is pretty cool of you holding back all of your high-end 1972 Angels. You understand the spirit of the registry and why spoil the fun for the actual Angel team set collectors out there.

Kudos!

John
  • Options
    Frank,

Yes, I requested the '72 Angels Team set. I've actually requested all of them that are available. I personally have no problem with others dabbing into the team sets. I requested the 1980 Angels Team set at the urging of RobE. He had a great comment about how this allows him to meet and interact with other collectors of 1980 Topps. I've communicated with a few full set collectors that have team sets listed also just to get their thoughts and suggestions on certain cards.

My original intent of starting this post was to give kudos to BJ for keeping up with all the request coming her way for new registry entries. I think she is doing a great job.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Agreed!

BJ is da'bomb!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I fall into the "collect what you like" catagory. I doubt I will ever see any profitt but I dont care. Even if I were to sell I had fun and enjoyed collecting that is what it is about for 99% of us. To the 1% that make a living I understand .

Invander73

Living here in AZ I see Matty play all the time on TV and in person. Very nice ball player. I even have a pair of game used gloves I obtained from him. Do you have any PSA 10's of williams you want to part with ? Let me know how much I promised my daughter one.

I think Luxury doesnt see the reason to collector Non HOF"ers or potential candidates.
    x
  • Options
    Jeff,
    I slowly scrolled down that list and was waiting to see my Chris Pronger (hockey) Master set. But i couldn't find it! What gives?

I don't care about a certificate. I just care about being 100% complete. Although i'm 63% and its a small set i still have a lot of cards to get graded. Actually the remaining cards i have left for that set are sitting on my desk waiting to get slabbed. Plus i'll be adding more to it in the future.

Not too many PSA modern hockey defensemen collectors out there i suppose. I'm like a lot of collectors. I collect what makes me happy and at the same time what is affordable. I would love to get into a vintage set someday and i definetly plan on it. But i might have to wait till i hit the next powerball jackpot.

I don't mean to come off as a hard a$$! I laughed when i saw your post with that list and at the same time agreed with you. I just think that if PSA took the time to make all those player sets, that collectors would make a decent effort to try to complete them.

BJ does an awesome job!

Ben

• Options
    heh, i was thinking about doing a Nicklas Lidstrom set
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Frank,

Yes, I requested the '72 Angels Team set. I've actually requested all of them that are available. I personally have no problem with others dabbing into the team sets. I requested the 1980 Angels Team set at the urging of RobE. He had a great comment about how this allows him to meet and interact with other collectors of 1980 Topps. I've communicated with a few full set collectors that have team sets listed also just to get their thoughts and suggestions on certain cards.

My original intent of starting this post was to give kudos to BJ for keeping up with all the request coming her way for new registry entries. I think she is doing a great job. >>

Eric,I think it's great that you do your thing and list Angels team sets.I like to meet folks like you and have done some fine trades with many Team set collectors from 1980.Some of the most passionate collectors of 1980 Topps set are the team set folks.I noticed on the que there is a 1980 "Atlantic" Braves team set too.

1420 & MS requested the Phillies team and I never knew that you could use the same cards,when I heard you could do it I listed the cards.And to my surprise the Team set was at 100%.That was a small accomplishment but an exciting one.From there on it's all upgrades to 9s or better.

Then,I think JeffVN requested a Reds team set and it turned out that all I needed was one card to complete the set which after all this time I managed to locate that one pain in the arse common card.
    From there on in it's all upgrades too.

Next,I noticed someone requested a Red Sox team set which nobody ever listed a set.I told BJ I'll put it to use and she was happy that her work didn't go to waste when we were discussing it.

So now where is my favorite team???The Yankees didn't have a team set so I requested it and just recently got some good company over there.

Since the Pirates took it all in 79 I requested the set because I liked the cards and the team hype with all the we are family as a kid too.(Just because I'm a NYY fan and they don't make it baseball doesn't end for me - even back then)

Now after that set request I had my fun with set requests.If anyone wants to request another 1980 set then I will be the first to encourage them and join them for company and trades etc.Unfortunately,I wind up by default being #1 but ultimately it's not my goal with the set I collect,however,I just want to get to 100%(which may be impossible right now) and take it from there.Team sets are just an extention in meeting folks with similar interests and I've enjoyed my dealings with all of them.

As for being rewareded with a certificate.It's another bonus and a nice gesture by PSA.Before I got into set building it was for my own head.I wasn't buying a card to put into a set to be the best and get an award but if PSA wants to send it I'll frame it and hang it on the wall.

• Options
    I thought this thread was particularly funny since BJ just put my Archie Manning Basic and Master sets up on the Registry. image

All of the cards that I collect are either team (Saints) or player sets because that's what I collected as a kid. I also like the idea that I can complete a set that contains less than 500 million cards and doesn't cost that much to complete. I know that my Billy Cannon set will never be worth a lot, but being a dyed-in-the-wool LSU Tiger fan makes the cards of it's only Heisman Trophy winner special for reasons that only an LSU fan would understand.

Who knows, I may make a run at a Shaq collection if I ever have the time. image
    Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection