Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you guys think of this wild rainbow toned 1983 Kennedy?

RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

Jumbo images here:

Click for jumbo obverse image.

Click for jumbo reverse image.

Part of a group of five that all came from the same album. The other four are proof coins and are also toned, but not this dramatic.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Interesting coin. I haven't seen the lime green before. How does it look in hand?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How does it look in hand? >>

Quite a bit smaller. image

Russ, NCNE
  • dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    How does it look in hand?

Looks like it's been in somebody's hand! Better run that obverse through the FBI fingerprint lab!

Joking aside, those are some awesome colors on the reverse. I'd be a little afraid though because I've never seen colors like that on a coin. Do the proofs have the same color scheme but less dramatic or did they tone differently all together? I like either way, just don't know how it would go over in a grading house. Dave
  • MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! Envelope toning maybe?

<< <i>Do the proofs have the same color scheme but less dramatic or did they tone differently all together? >>

Three of the proofs are target toned on the obverse, similar to this coin. The reverses are a monochromatic lavender with just whispers of color mingled in. I'm not sure if it's the mirror surfaces that caused the toning to be more muted, but that would be my hunch.

BTW, even though I know this coin is natural by the generally accepted definition, I'm not sure it would get slabbed by the wienies in the grading room at PCGS.

Russ, NCNE
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    I love that toning. Very nice.

• << <i>Quite a bit smaller. >>

Wisenheimer. image
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wienies in the grading room at PCGS >>

You in a heep of trouble now!image
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    imagevery nice rev

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it was in a Dansco holder. The reverse is a bit wild but the obverse is "classic" Dansco. image

jom
    You have a good eye, Jom. It was a Dansco. Here's one of the proofs:

Russ, NCNE
  • I kind of like the obverse but I have never really been a fan of pink and lime green on much of anything. Interesting, though.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

<< <i>I have never really been a fan of pink and lime green on much of anything. >>

Hey! What about Jello? image

Russ, NCNE
  • I was just about say , "Jello toning".
    Though I prefer pudding.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have never collected Kennedy's, are strikes this soft common on 83s?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Russ

Usually you've got a good eye but your latest purchase dissappoints me! What's going on man? This thing has been manhandled (er, heavily fingerprinted), and it's rather ugly except for the reverse. A few other people have commented on the color but remember this is a clad coin, and they first of all don't tone nearly as often as silver coins, and second of all they do tone differently. I've seen this color on many clads and I think it comes from the copper content.

EDITED TO ADD: yes I know it was part of a group purchase but what about that spotty proof? Again, disappointed. I wonder just how long it takes for coins to tone like this inside a dansco?
    Robert,

Actually, I didn't buy the coins. They are only temporarily in my custody.

Russ, NCNE
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,
    You hardly ever see color like that on clad coins. Very nice.

• << <i>

Hey! What about Jello? image

>>

Ughhh! I also prefer pudding. Maybe that is why I like the obverse. image

Hmmm, Monster Pudding / Jello Toned Kennedy. Has to be an Ebay angle for that.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
    Yeah, I'm a pudding guy myself. I have a fridge full of six-packs of fat-free chocolate right now. They're on sale at Safeway 2 for $5. image

Russ, NCNE
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    I like the pastel reverse.
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭
    Love the reverse, but obverse looks negative to me...

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OOPS, I guess Mr. Hall just saved you $12.image
    WHOAH!!!! HRH posted in my thread! I am floating on Cloud Nine. My head is now so big that I won't be able to wear my hat!

Note to you kibitzers: Save the comment that my head was already big. It's too easy. image

Russ, NCNE
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    Russ:
    Homerunhall realy intercepted the ball on that one. Like 5cents said , $12 saved for compucheap.
    I gotta agree with him though, hence my diplomatic prior post of liking the reverseimage
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You have a good eye, Jom. >>

Hardly....just experience. I've had my raw set in a Dansco holder for about 11 years so you can guess what some of the coins look like now. image You'll also note that it will be the copper-nickel ones that do this type of toning. I've never had any of the 40% silver or the 1964's tone at all. Can't win'em all....

Here's one from my set that is typical:

Note the similarities....

jom
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    That coin is aokay in my book. I just picked up a 1969 with that coloring on the obverse...lime green and pink that is. The 69 has some silver in it so it is kinda a different sitch, but still a beaut nonetheless. It was in one of those after market type set in a wooden box kinda deal. There were some awesome Ikes and other kennedys and a dime and quarter that had developed some rather nice toning. But the 69 Kennedy really caught my eye.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i like both coins!

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights