Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WOWZER!!!! the NGC graded C'stamped Cleveland's arrived!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Holy crap!!! here's the thread with the coins. I had submitted them at the ANA hopeful of the 1941 to go MS64 with a shot at MS65 and the 1971 to go MS62-63 with the possibility that it would get holdered by NCS because of possible cleaning.

The 1941 came back holdered at MS66 and the 1971 came back in an NGC holder at MS63!!! I'll get some holdered pictures up when I can. I couldn't be happier. It appears they went through the NCS assessment untouched since they appear exactly as submitted.

There is every possibility that I may be the holder of a pop 1 in the 1941. Can someone check these at the NGC site or in a hard copy report for me? Thanks.

Cleveland Rocks!!!

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone check these at the NGC site or in a hard copy report for me? Thanks.

Cleveland Rocks!!!

Al H.image >>

www.ngccoin.com click on census. Or are you banned image
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    good for you Keets! Congrads

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭
    All right Keets. image Way to go. I saw at least one of these coins in Baltimore. Very nice. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Nice submittial.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Good work, keets. Of course, the grade isn't all that important for something like that, but it's still better to have a nice one than a not-so-nice one!

Is it true you now have the world's largest hoard of WRNC counterstamped items? image I'm telling you, that would make a great story for the Numismatist.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    hey Placid

i went to the link and couldn't find anything that listed them other than just the regular Cleveland commem. it's noted on the holder "C/M Western Reserve" and the respective date. any idea as to whether they list them somewhere seperately or are they just included in the general commem category?

al h.image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    No idea about that keets. Maybe they have not got put into their census database(updated) yet or they clump them with the regular cleveland's.

You could call, e-mail them or ask in their forum, in the ask ngc section.

Congrats on the grades image
  • Options

• Options
    hey kranky

there's still some stuff out there that i know about. at least two cuban coins that the local guy has with a different c'stamp and one 1890 Morgan stamped on both sides with the 1996 75th anniversary dies. and let's not forget that 1996 stamped Cleveland that sold in the B&M ANA auction. that was a nice looking coin, also. it didn't have quite the flash of my 1941, but seemed correctly graded at MS65.

one peculiarity that you noted about the two-sided stamping, it is done in the highest area of the coin surface so it tends to elevate the grade because first contact marks are covered. all the same, the ones i've seen to date had strong strikes. which brings me to another interesting thought----they probably had some very choice coins to choose from in 1941 and then in 1971 we were in the midst of the Brilliant White dipping craze which probably accounts for my 1971's diminished luster. then in 1996 we return to choice coins because the hobby seems to have gained in overall knowledge about coin storage and long term care. i wonder if there's a c'stamped MONSTER TONED beauty out there??!! perhaps i should join the club and get my Cleveland's ready for the Grand 2021 Centennial Stamping!!

al h.image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    keets, NGC had graded 375 in 66, 21 in 67 and 2 in 68. Additionally the pops are 1556 in 65, 1139 in 64, and 215 in 63.
  • Options
    Hey Al, Very nice results. Those coins are really nice!!image
    Gary
  • Options
    hello Mike

i was able to check the pops on a straight Cleveland. it's nice how NGC lets anyone view that. what i was hoping to find was something which would give me an idea of how namy of the counterstamped coins have been holdered. i really had no doubt mine were genuine and as kranky pointed out, the grade is secondary. all the same, it helps to have it authenticated and the holdered coin is better protected and easier to transport than raw. it also helps from a comparitive standpoint.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file