Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about a LARGE CENT thread! Post Pics Please!

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    That coin is super nice, goose!
  • Options
    Here's one that I found in, I believe, 1989 or thereabouts. I'll let the forum digest it then supply some more info.

• Options
    Wow nice find...............image
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    You guys have fancy ones....mine is a common one.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I don't know why the previous message is all F-'d up, I'll try again

• Options
    Beautiful!!!!! imageimageimage
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

It's one of my gems in copper.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    66tbird, That looks really tastey, nice cent.
  • Options
    Greg, there are plenty of common silver dollars, there is no such thing as a "common" full red large cent.

Threads like this are one of the best reasons to come to a coin forum.

I wish I had purchased a nice vf chain cent before prices on them took off, but now, I don't think I ever will.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    None of these are certified, allowing you to appreciate their true beauty!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Wow nice find...............image >>

Yes, but what is it? Why was it a nice find?
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    jade

that 1820 has CHARACTER! I am not a avid large cent collector but coins like the 1820 are ones that do interest me.
  • Options
    One on eBay.

• Options
    Thanks JB! Yes, that's another part of the reason that I believe in removing such coins from the slab. With just a pre-printed grade (PCGS MS-64 BN, by the way), it gives the impression that it's "just another" MS-64! I don't recommend cracking coins out to everybody, but that was one coin that I could not wait to see freed! You should see some of the Randall coins we've released from their slabs and sold. If you are patient, you can locate some with amazing character, just like you mentioned!
  • Options
    One on Heritage.
  • Options
    Check out THIS 1820!
  • Options
    Or this one!
  • Options
    An old friend that we sold recently:
  • Options
    And finally, to round out the Randall hoard (sorry, no 1819's in stock right now...):
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Abuell,

I know the die pair but is it an "a" or a "b"? Either one is good but if it's an "a" that would incredible and by far the finest known. My "a" is only a 3 coin. It is surprising the number of these coming out of the woodwork. When i found my 3 coin in 1989 it was the 16th piece known. Now there are 30 of them listed in the census.
  • Options
    Jade coin, if I was able to I would buy about a quarter of the large cents you have right now.
    The 1820 and the 1837 pieces especially caught my eye. Very nice !!!!

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    That Was SHOCK And AWE!!!! image
  • Options
    Conder-

Well, you're sort of on the right track, but you've got a ways to go yet.
  • Options
    one on ebay

• Options
    Thanks for the great compliments! If you ever want to treat yourself to viewing unmolested, original copper coins up-front and personal (not encapsulated), stop by at any table! We love the reaction when someone sees a lot of beautiful coins without encumbrance.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Stunning coins, everyone!!!!image

Mac, why can't you stay over there where you belong, on the Darkside?!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some mighty sweet-lookin' copper in this thread! I once sold THIS one on consignment, for my local dealer, before he did much of his own eBay'ing. I later came across the exact same coin in yet another dealer's case at the 2002 FUN, with a much heftier pricetag. Unfortunately, I never owned the coin, personally- couldn't afford it.

Now THIS, on the other hand, is probably my personal favorite large cent.

Let's see if any of you can guess why... image

(sorry for the dark pic)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's see if any of you can guess why... image >>

Cause you like colored girls?
  • Options
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i>Cause you like colored girls? >>

No, but it was near some slave cabins...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only large cent I have handy......

• Options
    Here's another favorite large cent, from the Holey Coin Vest (bottom middle of pic):

I'm working on a date set of holey large cents on the back of the vest (1800-57, excluding the '04).

• Options
    On the right track but not there yet huh. Then you have me stumped. There are only three obverse dies that match up with that reverse. Two of the combinations are scarce but one has a very rare subvariety (the one I hinted about) the other combination is very rare and your coin does not match it. So I'm not sure what you are refering to.
  • Options

<< <i>On the right track but not there yet huh. Then you have me stumped. There are only three obverse dies that match up with that reverse. Two of the combinations are scarce but one has a very rare subvariety (the one I hinted about) the other combination is very rare and your coin does not match it. So I'm not sure what you are refering to. >>

1797 NC-1. It was the 5th known and, I believe, that one more has surfaced in the last decade. It's listed in Noyes as G 5 and tied for 3rd in the CC (Noyes photo #24262). I sold the coin to Dan Holmes in whose collection it resides today.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    too many digi-pics! my modem's gonna blow up!

K S
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    To think, after I posted this I thought the thread died. without a post!
  • Options
    I didn't think it was the NC-1 because it looked like the die crack through LIBERTY was 1.) going through the wrong place. (In the picture you posted it looked like it was going through the top of the R like it does on the S-121.) 2.) although the NC-1 die is listed as having a "perfct B" I've never seen one where the upper serif of the B was actually there. and 3.) all of the NC-1's I've seen have had a weak or missing left foot of the T in Liberty. Going back I can see how I could be wrong about the die crack. In the photo it looks like a small spot by the R makes it look like the crack is goin to the top of the R instead of the middle of the lop of the R.
  • Options
    Large cents seem to be on a roll lately. I started putting together a set 4 or 5 months ago and am down to just a few I need. I will have all but the 1793 cap, 1799 and 1804. I've noticed several others besides myself asking for large cents at the shows lately. It is really a fun set to put together.
  • Options
    In answer to my earlier, mostly-ignored query of "guess why this 1837 cent is so special", I dug it. It's only the second large cent I've found with my detector, though other guys around here have dozens. (My only other one, the first I found, was a Draped Bust, but so corroded it's illegible). I wonder if abuell dug the 1797 he mentioned "finding", above.

Speaking of dug Draped cents, some of you may remember this 1798/7 I sold, that a buddy of mine dug down here, and sold to me. Coin World article

They're clearing a lot of the second-growth forests on the north end of Saint Simons Island, all land that was under cultivation during the plantation era. I hope to be diggin' a few more "big pennies" soon, as the local relic hunters call 'em! I've heard secondhand tales of a 1793 Wreath coming out of the ground in Darien, just north of here, and some AU-UNC (but slightly porous) Liberty Caps found on Oak Grove Island. I've personally seen a number of high grade Draped pieces. In fact, the Draped cents seem to be the type most commonly dug around here.

• Options
    <<I wonder if abuell dug the 1797 he mentioned "finding", above.>>

I dug it out of a lot of about 12-15 low grade large cents that a shady vest pocket dealer had. At first he told me that the coins were just 'some junky large cents' that I wouldn't even be interested in seeing. Then when I asked how much for this coin his line suddenly changed to 'I could sent that coin into ANACS and they'd grade it VF!' So I pulled out a Redbook and said that the Redbook said that a VF was worth $350 or so and I could just see the greedy saliva dripping from his lips as I paid him.

BTW: I sold the coin for $10.5K to a most appreciative and knowledgable collector who was thrilled as punch to finally succeed in acquiring the variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file