Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Back to the old days...Membership is now required to submit.

2»

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Boggsy,

I will be happy to submit your cards for you...once you make up your mind about whether you need faster service or not.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    ALAN you opinion isnt always the right one.

But mine is, and the sooner that you folks all realize it, the better place this world will be.
  • Options
    David,

You do have a pretty compelling point.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    bleacherbumbleacherbum Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Personally, I think $89 isn't a big deal if you're modestly serious about having your cards graded. With PSA, you get the country club - SMR, pop report, set registry, message board, free gradings, and a product that sells better than the other grading companies. Admittingly, all of these perks aren't perfect, but they seem earnest at making them so. It's a package deal, not just what you want to cherry pick. There's other options out there if this package isn't for you.

There's a line between catering to every customer (big or small) and running a business model. As a business, PSA is deciding what type of customer they would like to retain and to provide services accordingly. Providing all levels of service to all clients is a costly way of doing business.

Steve

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Boggs> Your reasoning is getting circular and repetitive.

NO!!! YOU DO NOT NEED TO JOIN IF YOU WANT TO SUBMIT CARDS! Submit them through a dealer. The fact that you chose to submit your cards through a terrible dealer does not change the fact that you don't need to join.

Now. . .you do need to join if you want to submit cards directly on your own.

There's no "reading between the lines" to be done here.

Now. . .Alan offered to submit your cards for you. If you don't trust Alan, I'm sure others would be willing to help you out as well. But the "woe is me" cry is starting to get old and baseless - and I'm on your side in thinking it's a terrible idea to make it a requirement again!

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Boggsy,

I can provide a list of references...and detailed financial statements if it will make you feel more secure.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    This is certainly not 3rd grade dialog going on here........................it's closer to 2nd grade.

BOTR
  • Options
    blah blah blah.......jUST BUCK UP BUCKWHEAT or get out of the game...... tHANK YOU VERY MUCH!!image
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • Options
    I thought about it and if I were PSA, I would squash this collectors club issue in this manner:

You can submit to PSA using the standard rate plan without a collectors club fee plus a dollar extra per card. If you're not a member, you cannot participate in set registry or any other submission incentives (it's a pure flat rate) You can also use the message board at no charge. Literally everything else is paid for on a subscription basis. This way, you can do the math for yourself and choose the items from the cafeteria that suit your needs.

The benefits of the Collectors Club would be:

Can participate in monthly/quarterly submission incentives (set registry, etc).
    SMR subscription.
    Use of the set registry at no additional charge.
    Invite to PSA events (luncheon at National etc).
    Use of Online Certification Authentication.
    Use of Online SMR.
    Use of Online Pop report.

These products and services are all worth money. I guess that charging an annual fee alienates some people. My guess is that if people had to pay for what they actually use...that $89 would start to look like the bargain that it is.

Additionally, if PSA revenues for lackluster products like SMR started dropping off, it might make them improve the content.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    All I have to say is I have has enuff of PSA. I deleted a few of my sets I will finish my Boggs basic and will delete it aswell. I am finished with PSA. I tried the dealer system it FAILED ! Now PSA has FAILED. I give..."Uncle"

Alan you a nice person a bit of a smart A$$ at times but such is life.

David

You are always right by me.
    x
  • Options
    Boggs,

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I was about to offer to send you $89 to join for one year, but only if you promised, in writing, to NOT post on this board during the coming year. Your whine has no cheese.
  • Options
    <Alan you a nice person a bit of a smart A$$>

That's a pretty accurate assessment. If you need any cards submitted...let me know. No hard feelings on my end.

<I was about to offer to send you $89 to join for one year, but only if you promised, in writing, to NOT post on this board>

MLB,

Can I have the same offer? BTW - Are you going to the National? My flight leaves tomorrow morning into Philly.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Boggs> As Toppsgun said, I'm sorry that you've decided on the course you have. I think it's unfortunate that the dealers you've chosen to submit your cards through have been duds. Should PSA examine those dealers and hold them to a high standard of customer satisfaction? Ab-so-friggin-lutely! BUT. . .at the same time, PSA has only a finite amount of control over authorized dealers.

The way I see your situation -
    PSA had a policy requiring membership otherwise you had to submit through a dealer.
    You didn't want to pay for a membership, so you submitted through dealers.
    You got blown off or screwed by those dealers.
    PSA then abandoned the membership requirement for submissions - and there was much rejoicing.
    In the year-to-18 months where there was no such requirement, you submitted what? 100 cards?
    PSA now goes back to requiring membership for submission and you don't like it because you got screwed by submitting through dealers back in the day and don't want pay the membership fee or bother with finding reputable dealers to submit through.

I understand your frustration, but it sounds like the majority of your anger should be directed at the dealers who treated you poorly and created the environment for you to be mad at PSA.

Mike
  • Options
    MIKE

I contacted PSA way back then And was brushed off. ALAN(ACOWA) suggested I join ...I did and am fairly happy til now. I am just tired of the rule changes talk of .5 scale. PSA will go to it in the future I have been soured by PSA And I have had a grudge against them for months. Last 3 orders about 150 cards 26 were mis labled , scratched, damaged in some way even the cards. I will bow out at this point. Time to move on. Thanks for putting my 2 1/2 years experience into perspective! I felt my initial membership was a waste 4 grades back then ! Off to work ..busy days at work (att&t)

James
    x
  • Options
    acowa,

Same deal is NOT available to you:

(1) Your posts don't disturb or bother me,
    (2) I rather think you're entertaining most of the time,
    (3) With your savings on airfares, you should front me the $89 to keep quiet for a year (though it's highly unlikely I could do it, so I'd have to give your money back).

Have fun in AC. Give my regards to Wince and try not to get beat up doing it.
  • Options
    Boggs> Then it sounds like your decision was made even before PSA decided to require membership. Good luck to you. I know GAI and/or SGC will look forward to your business.

Mike
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Boggs,

Good for you! I am sympathetic. I have also thought recently about deleting my sets.

Davalillo
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    To no one and everyone - It seems that there has been a lot of negativity on these boards in recent months. Has anyone ever felt like just getting out of the hobby completely?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    group hug...

...anyone know if you pay the membership fee if the pop report will be updated more than three times in seven weeks? Also, I hear you can do odd jobs (paint the employee break room, change the bulbs in the grading room, clean the loupes, etc) to work off some of the membership fee. Joe, your laundry will be ready by 11am tomorrow and I'll grab your groceries on the way home from work...this $89 bucks won't affect me at all...
    dgf
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    NEAL! BRO! Are we going to see you tomorrow??? How's life as a newlywed? Who fighting more--the board or you?

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    1420sports,

Debate is healthy. I don't feel it's negativity so much as people expressing their opinions. I don't have to agree with everything you say to be your friend. Personally, I have known Boggsy on the boards for quite some time. From his posts on the board over the past few years, I think he's a great guy. Does that mean that I agree with everything he posts? Does that mean that we aren't free to kid around with one another? Does that mean that we cant ask questions to each other to fully understand what the real issue is?

PSA brings out deep emotion in many of the people on the board that ranges from defending them against SGC, GAI, & Beckett bigots to slamming them every time they make a policy change that doesn't suit our needs at the moment. There is usually quite a bit of grey area in most of the more emotional threads. This leads to healthy debate and it's a good thing to have both sides of a particular issue addressed.

To answer your question: No, nothing over the last few months has ever made me want to quit the hobby. I am probably a "lifer". And if anything ever does make me want to quit...it certainly won't be a ""conversation" like the one Boggsy and I just had. I think he cares as much about the hobby as anyone here...and he has every right to express his displeasure with any PSA policy change.

Regards,

Alan

• Options
    Eric (ejguru),

I do have a lot of negativity towards you after I found out that our resident rock star doesn't have a fargin cell phone!!! What's up with that??? It's enough to make a guy want to get out of the hobby for crying out loud.

My plane lands in Philly at 10:00am and I should be in AC by noon. See you there.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Yo yo yo! I had to leave my cell in the joint when someone started shooting at me and Puffy. That was whack! I had to jet and dropped the ring and some rock, but it's all good. Let me snooze--hitting the road at 5 a.m. Card from 8 until 11! See ya later schnizzle!

DJ EJ
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Yo E - will not make it and I am not happy about it. I am leaving tonight for Boston for my bro's wedding and I am too busy at work today. I was looking forward to it - not the card purchases but meeting the board members - see you in Sept or Dec at the Fort no doubt.

There still is an outside shot I can get there today for like an hour or two ....

Alan, I was not referring to the post in particular. It just seems to me that all of the .5 talk (I would like BTW), the misgrades, the service at times, the lack of anything in the SMR, and overall tone the past few months has made me wonder if it is worth the hassle anymore. I think I just need a collecting break.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I really don't think $89 dollars a year isn't that big of a deal considering all we get from PSA even though some of the benifits are still free. I think a lot of people take the registry and these boards for granted, but they cost PSA a lot of money to keep running. I think PSA decided to make membership required to submit cards because they realize collectors are so cheap. They take advantage of all of the free stuff that PSA offers, Wait to only submit during the cheapist specials, and don't want to pay for anything extra. Now if anyone is really upset about the membership requirement they can just submit through ebay. You just need to be a member of ebay, and you cany print the forms from ebays site. Its just like submitting directly to PSA.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Now if anyone is really upset about the membership requirement they can just submit through ebay. You just need to be a member of ebay, and you cany print the forms from ebays site. Its just like submitting directly to PSA. >>

Could you please explain....not sure what you are talking about.

Thanks,

John
  • Options
    toppgum

You dont sound really sure you backed it up really well. Tell you what are you a member? Let me know.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I was about to offer to send you $89 to join for one year, but only if you promised, in writing, to NOT post on this board during the coming year. Your whine has no cheese.
    x
  • Options
    Basilone,

There is a link through the main sports page on ebay to submit cards to PSA. I submited this way the first time I submited to PSA back when they required membership to submit cards. Its using ebay as the dealer to submit cards for you, but you don't have to send your cards to ebay to submit them, just be an ebay member to print off the submission forms from the site. Here is the link.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Thanks Alfiewt for the link....I will keep it handy (signed up for the special a month ago) but will be interested to see if PSA changes their deal with eBay after the changes go into effect.

John
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>There is a link through the main sports page on ebay to submit cards to PSA... >>

Did you notice the address of the link?

http://psacard.com/cobrands/submit.chtml?cobrandid=23

it is NOT an Ebay site, so I suspect that PSA will change it
    to a link to JOIN PSA as of Sept.

imageimage
  • Options
    Does anyone know how many cards they are grading per month these days??

I have not had time to read all the replys in this thread, but maybe they are doing this to create revenue??

Chris