Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hmmmmmm..somebody needs a class in grading.

Look at this auction....No way any of these coins are what he claims to be...

MS??????

Comments

• You bastiges better not snipe me!!! These are diamonds in the rough just waiting for plastic!!!

Or perhaps a caning is in order?
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • The 34-D obverse isn't too bad but the others are MS?!?! He thinks MS stands for mauled & scratched and the 63-64 is the number of people who are laughing at him right now!

I must go hit his minimum of $193.
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Oh man. If you want some comedy, check out the rest of his auctions.

That 78CC Morgan with "honest wear" and a few ticks.........lord. How can you tell. It's almost a slug.image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • DanCDanC Posts: 1,189
    Right on... he's got something on the order of 4 bids for 128 auctions. DUDE! image
  • MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199
    I guess he only needs a couple of marks to make quota for the month.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    dude, your talking about "ernie". he should get "bert" to help him out

btw, he's posted on the forum before

K S
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    He's well known for overgrading everything he sells on Ebay. At a recent local coin show, a few type collectors were talking and one said "have you seen that guy on Ebay who has some nice stuff, but overgrades everything by 2 grades?" Someone else chimes in "You must mean Ernie." He usually posts good pics, and I've bid on a few of his coins, ignoring his stated grade , of course.
    Hey Ernie, I presume you're reading this. Why don't you just state the grade as it is? Do you think you're fooling anyone?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Gentlemen,

I cannot agree with your assessment of these coins. The '19-S appears to be AU-58, but the other three do appear to be mint state.

The '25-D and '26-D are notorious for having weak strikes (sometimes extreme). While I wouldn't go so far as to call them MS63RB, calling them MS61 or 62 is not out of the question. And as far as color, flatbed scanners are notorious for making RD coins look RB and RB coins look BN.

I've made several hundred dollars ripping dealers who label these as circulated coins and then reselling them to dealers who know what they should be graded. '20-D, '21-S, 23-S, 24-S, 25-S, and 26-S are also sometimes seen looking like these.

The real question is whether or not these were cleaned at one time.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file