Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Article about low POP commons

There is an article in the new Beckett Vintage Magazine about the low POP / high Price issue.

They pick the most hard to find low POP commons for each set:

1952 Topps: Hermsn Wehmeier
1954 Topps: Ben Wade (I personally beleive the Buster Mills is harder)
1955 Topps: Art Fowler
1956 Topps: Willaim Harridge
1957 Topps: Mike Garcia
1958 Topps: John Roseboro
1959 Topps: Phillies Team
1962 Topps: Bill SKowron
1963 Topps: Bob Allison
1965 Topps: Tony Oliva
1968 Topps: John Donaldson
1969 Topps: Mike Ferraro (but the article starts out talking about the Mike Shannon issue)

I just thought this might be a good issue to debate.

Comments

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    My question would be on what frame of reference did they base their decisions. I would have to believe that there isn't a large enough pool of BGS/BVG-graded cards from these issues to be truly accurate.

I'd be curious to see if they based their conclusions on anything other than subjective criteria.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    mrc32,

<I personally believe the Buster Mills is harder>

I agree 100%...but it's close. Woodling is a beast as well. It's not like there's a ton of any of these cards floating around.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    toppsguntoppsgun Posts: 787

Leave it to a Beckett publication to get it wrong.

In 1959, the Phillies team is a tough card, but first of all, it's not a common. Second it's not even the toughest card in the low number series. That honor goes to #11-Billly Hunter, followed by #104-Del Rice. I can name a half dozen other tougher cards in '59 (105-Walls, 92-Philley, 59-Noren, 90-Skowron, 33-Fitzgerald & 15-Drott).

In 1963, Beckett is waaaaaaaaay off. Try finding these puppies in an 8:

14 Ramos
    22 Simmons
    34 Schofield
    40 Power
    50 Pierce
    61 Bowman
    84 Kline
    89 Stigman
    114 Osinski
    328 Williams, D.

And in 1965, everyone on this board must know that #22-Charlie Smith is the lowest pop card in that set (3 PSA 8's and no 9's).

As for most of what leaks out of Dallas and the Beckett complex, this is just more inaccurate trash.

• Options
    toppsguntoppsgun Posts: 787

I noticed they left out 1967. Now that might be a good place to start a discussion.

Of those who are near the top, I'm pretty sure the "last card" is a different one for all. Any votes for:

2 - Hamilton
    3 - Sims
    41- Horner
    492-Pirates Team
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    <<I'd be curious to see if they based their conclusions on anything other than subjective criteria.>>

I don't think it was based on anything other than people's views. The writer notes that he took opinions from dealers at shows. The list is basically his view on tough to find cards in high grade.

<<I would have to believe that there isn't a large enough pool of BGS/BVG-graded cards from these issues to be truly accurate. >>
    They were not just talking about Beckett graded cards. The picture even is of a PSA 9 1969 Shannon.

<<Woodling is a beast as well>>
    I never had much trouble with Woodling. I got him early on in my set build so I guess I never had to struggle with him. But Buster Mills took me years to get with decent centering and without emptying my wallet.

<<In 1959, the Phillies team is a tough card, but first of all, it's not a common.>>
    Sorry, I guess thier article is based off of tough commons and SEMI-star cards.

The article is written by Reid Creager, who is a freelance writer from Detroit.

I think it was pretty good. With the set registry's being so popular I am surprised more articles have not been written about them and the trials and tribulations in that collecting niche.
  • Options
    Mike,

I think that the 1967 Demeter high # is tough as well.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    The 1961 guys might want to add:

306 WS Virdon
    310 WS Face
    541 Gibbon
    559 Gentile
    561 Cerv

I think I got the #'s right

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    1965 Topps: Tony Oliva
    Whats Tony Oliva doing in this group? He's not a common, he lists in the SMR for $50 for a PSA-8, and theres a bunch of real commons w/ less cards graded, Charlie Smith Wade & Don Blasingame, Sonny Siebert etc... jay
  • Options
    One of my favorite stories on Ebay is when a Ben Wade came up for auction in PSA 7 & the seller also had the Lenhardt in PSA 7 (which is very tough) I asked him to stop the auction & I would give him $100 total for both of them. To my amazement, he said yes. I could not get him the $100 fast enough. Ben Wade was coming to me!! Mills is very tough!! BUT, I have yet to even SEE a Woodling. I thought it was one of the those myth cards. At the time Morrie Martin was tough too and I got that one for $15. Moral of the story, timing & patience is everything.

Now Alan, about that Sims......................
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Almost any story which promotes graded cards is somewhat helpfull, regardless of complete / incomplete data or accuracy. Beckett has in the past had an article on the Pop. of the 15 top stars from the 1957 BB set. Thay used PSA, SGC, as well as their own BGS/BVG population data.

But hey, 1956 Will Harridge a common ? It's not only a leauge president but it's the FIRST card in the set. I think we all know about # 1 from any vintage set and the condition problems within. The raw value is far above "common" status in their own price guide. This must be considered an oversight at the least .image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I agree with jaxxr...that article regarding vintage graded (outside of an SCD editiorial) is good for all of us. You never know....a collector might take a look at those commons they have in binders and submit them to be graded.

John
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    since 1966 wasn't included here are the toughest
    psa 8s.(#406 is THE SINGLE RAREST)
    216 AL BATTING LEADERS
    224 AL PITCHING LEADERS
    292 JIM COKER
    406 JOE JAY
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Why leave out 1955 Bowman?

There are NUMEROUS cards in that set that have PSA 8 populations of five or less. Monster #232 Birdie Tebbets has only two cards graded PSA 8 NM/MT, with one example owned by our very own Ron Hobbs. Al Dark, Charlie Grimm, Tommy Byrne and Albert B. Schroll are also all monsters.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    The 1967 Hoerner 9 I got was straight from a cello pack I bought last year. It is probably the nicest card I own from that year and actually thought it might have gemmed. Have to agree that Hamilton and Sims are just as tough. Sometimes I think the only way to stumble on these 3 are cello packs. I always seem to see only Series I packs offered on Ebay--pay and pray!

1968 Donaldson? Not nearly as tough as several others. Sammy Ellis, Rico Carty, Sens RC, Lanier, and a few others.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    For 1956's, I would pick #121 Pirates Team, #100 Orioles Team, and #268 Mitchell as the toughest, especially in 8 or better.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Seeing an article like that, plus they've mentioned a couple times recently that high-grade commons draw big dollars as well, I've got to think BGS is going to come out with their own registry. In fact, I'm surprised they've taken so long with it.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Don't see 72 Topps listed yet - but I'd have to go with:

178--------PAUL SCHAAL IA
    518--------WAYNE GARRETT
    409--------FRANK BAKER
    670--------KEN HOLTZMAN
    443--------KEN HENDERSON

As being the 5 most difficult cards in the set.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Frank> Those are probably the five toughest, but right behind them are
    655 - Jerry Grote
    627 - Moe Drabowski
    32 - Cleon Jones IA
    40 - Bob Barton IA
    489 - Expos RC

I never cry when I pay a lot for a tough card. . .I only cry when I pay too much for an easy card.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Gem

Not if your talking to Mikeimage

I think you just picked up a tough 69 for 9.99. You boys need to quit emailing
    each otherimage
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gem,

I think it was the Ribant???
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes. Well that one has 18 8s and 3 9s which puts it in the middle of the pack as far as difficulty.
  • Options
    Gem,

Now I don't feel so bad for I had it down on my sheet as 12-3...
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    1981 Topps Fred Lynn

gator psa 9's 2
    jack psa 9's 0 image
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Straw,

Whats up buddy. I have a real high end palmer that I'll let you have for 15.00 its a freak
    of nature.

As for the lynn I didn't say to exhale so lets not here anything about it hahaha. For you
    might make some folks stir crazy trying to find one including yourselfimage