Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it Real or Memorex? Yet another Toning Thread...*COIN REVEALED

But I think this one should be better - vote above on whether you think the toning is real, fake, or the picture has been altered, and we'll talk about it after we've had a few answers image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The real deal. The right colors, teal, blue, gold, in the right sequence, and the toning is smooth and appears embedded. Plus it has that "crud" look that I've seen frequently on the 50's Washingtons.

Usual disclaimer: Of course, I could be full of crap.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    430 degrees for 25 minutes then just a touch with a random orbital sander loaded with 400 grit paper.
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    Looks real to me. image
  • Options
    Just kiddin', ignore me.
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    I know this may not be a direct answer to your question Frank but I would not buy that one!image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'd like a little higher quality pic before I choose. image
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    It looks like a close vote, but no one (but Russ) is saying why or why not - guess it's that confusing?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Always very difficult for me to tell from the pictures but, my guess is it's real since it seems to resemble other toned quarters I have seen over the years [when there was little financial incentive to AT a Washington quarter]. So I'd probably buy it if it were priced raw and accordingly [and if I had an interest in toned Wash. quarters.]
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭
    Maybe what is throwing people of, and making it more difficult to answer, is that one of the choices is that the pic has been enhanced.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>Maybe what is throwing people of, and making it more difficult to answer, is that one of the choices is that the pic has been enhanced >>

And that might be the right answer. At least I think it is. I just got the coin on Ebay here. Looking at the picture I could tell that the color schemes were the right ones for a pretty awesomely toned mint set quarter, but the colors are just a tad vibrant. I suspect that when I get the coin it will be somewhat more subdued, at which time I will take an accurate picture of the coin and share it with the board. At the price that I got the coin it was worth the gamble - especially since the coin is already holdered in a PCGS holder. I think that exercises like this help us all learn a little bit more about the thoroughly confusing world of toning. I had to wonder what kind of premium a Morgan or Franklin would have if it had this kind of toning.

Frank
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭
    That's interesting about the photo possibly being enhanced. I thought the toning was real (that's how I voted), based on the toning pattern, including how the colors blend from one to another, but the colors seemed just a bit off. When you get the coin please update us all on how it really looks.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    this coin seems very acceptable to me and what one would expect from the sulphur to silver reaction that is found in the old original double mint sets. I say this because the toning is more servere at the outer edges of the coin and then it turns to brilliant in the center. this is due to the coins contact points with the cardboard holder were the reaction will be more heavy, causing a larger oxide growth. unlike some amatuer at'ing that covers the entire coin.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>this coin seems very acceptable to me and what one would expect from the sulphur to silver reaction that is found in the old original double mint sets. I say this because the toning is more servere at the outer edges of the coin and then it turns to brilliant in the center. this is due to the coins contact points with the cardboard holder were the reaction will be more heavy, causing a larger oxide growth. unlike some amatuer at'ing that covers the entire coin. >>

Lucy spoke American English!!! I knew you could do it!!! You go GIRLLLLL!!!!!!!!!image
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • Options
    english is hard for me as my native tongue is Spanish.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy, I certainly meant no offense...just having fun.

It was a very well written response indicating that you have a very good command of the language! I would be an embarrassment to your language as the Spanish I have learned is a hodge-podge of Tex-Mex, Caribbean, Central American and others. You, on the other hand, seem to know English quite well.
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • Options
    Lucy. Quit it! You're makin' my head spin. Well... something's making my head spin... imageimage
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Clarkie!!!!!!! how about a round of Margaritas?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real tone but enhanced a tad. You will be pleased I believe when the coin arrives. Where is the Enhacement expert from the other thread that is on the boards tonight. His comments would be interesting. image

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file