Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MS60 Grade

It seems to me that you don't nearly see this grade very often, as opposed to MS61 and MS62, unless you get something net graded at ANACS or SEGS - do you suppose it's because the grading services don't get that many coins that would grade at this level or is it, in fact, one of those grades that's actually pretty hard to quantify and locate?

Frank

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Possibly by the MS60 point it is either bagged for damage or AU'ed ??

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS60 is a funny grade: it has a stigma as the "worst" uncirculated. Usually it's so bad with marks or rub that it slides all the way down to AU58. If it makes it over the hurtle of Unc. most coins get up to 61 or 62, even if it takes another submission (provided the coin is worth it, we're assuming that if it's worth slabbing, it's worth going for 61 or 62 if it's in a 60 holder)

as for raw, who'd offer their own coin as MS60? if it's a 60, surely you can make a case for 61? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder why the price guides insist on reporting values for MS60. It's almost a useless number - MS61 would be much better!
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Point well taken - so get a load of the picture below - the dollar really doesn't look like what I would consder to be a "mangled" MS60, and it got a PL to boot! Probably the main reason that I got it. I've also noticed that you hardly see any recent slabs with this grade, more prevalent in rattlers and green holders - have you guys noticed the same?

Frank

• Options
    agreed on all points. Nice coin... for a 60 image

I've got a trio of $10 libs in rattler PCGS 60 holders, the coins look like what is in newer 61 and 62 slabs these days, maybe back then if a coin didn't make 63 it would just get 60, they didn't use 61, 62, and 64 nearly as much back in the old days as they do now.

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    here's an ANACS MS60. i don't quite understand this grade though...

imageimage
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    'cuda, thats what I'd call a PQ anacs60! wow nice.

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    thanks Baley - i like it too.

I think ANACS must have automatically downgraded it to 60 because of the horizontal abrasions in the hair on the obverse. the reverse is very clean - i would say 65 condition.

i bought it graded, so i'll take it.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to the 32S Washington at Heritage that's in a PCGS MS60 Holder. I was a little surprised when I came across it and notice it is a Yellow label. It looks like a very nice coin, really no marks at all. Is it because of the toning? When this was graded was toning not as acceptable as it is now?

32s Link
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS60 is not really utilitized by TPG as it should be.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I have a ms60PL Morgan in the older green label PCGS similar to FC's. Kinda funny to look at it.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    In the early days of slabs the MS-60 grade was used very frequently but after a few years it started disappearing. I remember discussing the matter with a couple of collectors at a show back around 1990. We came to the conclusion that the services were for the most part reserving it for the really baggy Unc and that the services were operating under the assumption that if it was submitted it had to better than just a 60 and everything that wasn't horribly ugly got an outomatic 61 or 62.

And I have noticed since then that the MS-61 grade has about disappeared as well. I just did a title search on ebay for MS-60 through 70 and other than what to me was a surprising number of 60's there are fewer 61's than anything other than 68.

MS-60 231 items
    MS-61 71
    MS-62 246
    MS-63 732
    MS-64 792
    MS-65 804
    MS-66 306
    MS-67 110
    MS-68 35
    MS-69 141
    MS-70 81

When you consider that the original definition of MS-60 was that it was supposed to be a TYPICAL uncirculated coin and that a MS-65 was expected to exist at about a 1:100 ratio you can see that grading definitions have really changed since slabbing began.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    A simple definition of MS 60:
    Any uncirculated coin.

Therefore, if a coin could have more marks, it would be at least MS 61. MS 60 is a generic term for those that are not involved with 61 & 62 and is not a particularly useful term for those that are interested in all the #'s.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file