Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DHRC versus SAH

ERER Posts: 7,345
It just hit me.
What's the difference between DHRC hyping the 2003 GAE set PCGS MS70 for nearly $8K,
and those SAH guys selling their coins for an arm and a leg? NONE! ZIP! ZERO! NADA!
I have come to the point where I really couldn't care less what these guys do to sell their coins. As long as there are suckers, ....uhm, I mean people, out there buying into the hype, so be it. Not for me, though.

Comments

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageIt's the label that drives these overpriced sales. Buy it direct from the mint and then make a decision on slabbing! I smell a 70 rat somewhere, but it appears to run in that select "PACK OF RATS"!
    The label is subjective, at least that is what everyone says!!

Wait, for 8k are fingerprints included? That would make it a 2k set!!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a difference. DHRC sells most everything at market price or close to it,
    whereas SAH sells most items at retail prices. While both of these are retail
    price levels collectors are not accustomed to seeing any coins trade at a true
    retail level. Furniture, jewelry and most consumer products are routinely marked
    up 200 or 300% but this is unusual for coins. Some people have told me that they
    are quite happy with the price and quality of the computers, clothes, jewelry etc
    being sold on TV. The prices are very competitive because these markups are the
    industry standard. Many collectors expect and succeed at buying at ask and sell-
    ing at bid. This is the anomaly.

The quality of the coins being sold on TV is always fair. They insist on decent coins
    and then they sell them for what they are. ...And at a markup which is similar to other
    markups. Yes, their spiel is often annoying or offensive and they may play more than
    a little loose with the facts, but they are simply selling something which has never be-
    fore been sold in this venue. It's possible some buyers might feel they were over-charged
    and leave the hobby in disgust, but there are far more who are learning that coins exist
    at all and are getting an introduction to the hobby. These people will soon learn that
    there are far less expensive ways to buy coins and move on anyway.

Most dealers probably have an almost impossible job of surviving on the spread between
    bid and ask. Even the coins which trade at industry retail do not present the kind of pro-
    fits that are available in almost any other merchandise. When the hobby regains some more
    robust health there will be far more coins going at retail and the TV sellers will not appear to
    be quite so high. In the unlikely event they ever become truly competitive it should be remem-
    bered that it was they themselves who helped get the market to that point.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    what is sah?? thanks

sincerely michael
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what is sah?? thanks

sincerely michael >>

Shop At Home. (Coin Vault)
  • Options
    thanks mr lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now not to sound like a wise guy

waht is the coin vault and could you tell me something aboujt them??

sincerely michael
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    The Coin Vault is a TV program on SAH (Infomercial if you will) that sells coins. They offer coins at ridiculously high prices. They hype their wares unmercifully and tell viewers what a great value and investment these coins are. It's a complete ripoff. Watch it sometime. You won't believe what you hear.
  • Options
    jonesyjonesy Posts: 5,031
    I've seen the coin vault several times. Last year they had and sold thousands of NGC graded SAE's for hugh profits! imageimage
    Glenn
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    that's right, there is NO DIFFERENCE. because any vendor has the perfectly legitimate right to charge what he wants for his wares. like is said before, all the armchair quarterbacks rant & rave & complain about overhyped slabs, but is shop-at-home really charging too much? or are you cheapskates paying too little elsewhere?

TURN OFF THE TV, & get a real life

<< <i>They hype their wares unmercifully and tell viewers what a great value and investment these coins are. It's a complete ripoff. >>

of course, that's because YOU just happen to know that EVERYONE who buys coins is doing so for the financial investment, right? of course, there's nobody in the whole country who just happens to buy such coins because, gee, they just happen to enjoy owning them, regardless of the price, right?

jeeeeeez, i guess everything in life has to be valued in dollars & cents to determine whether its a ripoff or not

<< <i>Last year they had and sold thousands of NGC graded SAE's for hugh profits >>

of course, they'd be good guys if they were selling at small profits. i mean, that's how you know someone's a good guy, right? like, that's what makes david-lawrence (for example) such a great company - small profits. their coins are hardly marked up over retail at all

K S
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    When you realize that you can buy 9 sets of the same coins in MS 69 for about $7600, I have to agree, DHRC has probably been learning from SAH.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line - PCGS has already graded 604 of the 2003 gold bullion coins in MS70 and 156 of those are the "tough" 1 oz. coins!! Why have they graded this many coins MS70 - 3 words....

THEY COME NICE.

NICER THAN ANY PREVIOUS YEAR BY A LANDSLIDE IMHO.

I assume DHRC simply did not know this when they prepared their flyer and set the price a month or so ago, because I seem to recall the flyer mentioning something about a very limited amount of sets available (please correct me if I am wrong on that wording). This issue in PCGS-MS70 is far from "limited" obviously.

If I were DHRC, I would simply acknowledge that the quality of the coins in 2003 shocked them once they determined the incredible quality of the Mint's work this year. I would also not be surprised to see these coins trading at levels in line with the "pops".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>It just hit me.
    What's the difference between DHRC hyping the 2003 GAE set PCGS MS70 for nearly $8K,
    and those SAH guys selling their coins for an arm and a leg? NONE! ZIP! ZERO! NADA!
    I have come to the point where I really couldn't care less what these guys do to sell their coins. As long as there are suckers, ....uhm, I mean people, out there buying into the hype, so be it. Not for me, though. >>

ER- Absolutely! I find their hyping of the set to be quite similar to that of Shop At Home. Their newsletter is kind of like reading the comics. A laugh a minute. If they are hyping it, take your time and look around. Since plenty of them have just been made!!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...Thanks Michael for asking what SAH was! I was too embarrassed to ask.

But Michael, just watch the SAH for just 20 minutes at a time. That is all your digestive system will be able to stand.

At least DHRC does not just sell this kind of stuff. Sure they have increased their emphasis in this area but they have not forgotten the true collector and nice mint state classic coins for their inventory.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    where do i see this shop at home and coin vault thing?

now remember i do not believe in cable tv at all
    to me it is a total waste of time
    and for me just plain wrong

i also rarely watch just regualr 5 station tv also a huge waste of valuable time in my opinion

sincerely michael
  • Options
    There are actually three of these. SAH is the Shop at Home network. HSN is the home shopping
    network. These likely have broadcasters in your area. The third one is cable only. I have to watch
    but will usually have it muted.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael: Go to a department store where they sell tv's. That way you might luck out image on seeing them in action.

I believe you need cable TV channels to see them in action.

Ooh, I like the cable TV to see the History channel. To me that is worth the price alone of cable TV!

Remember all the good stuff that the major TV stations used to have years ago were bought by the special interest channels such as the History Channel. You are fighting a losing battle.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>

Remember all the good stuff that the major TV stations used to have years ago were bought by the special interest channels such as the History Channel. You are fighting a losing battle. >>

OK. This is off-topic, but all that good stuff that used to be on TV is now
    cut up so badly to squeeze in more commercials that the only reason to
    watch it is nostalgia. Programs that used to be 28 minutes are now 18 or
    19 minutes. These have been getting trimmed like this for half a century
    and in most cases the original was lost long ago.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    i will go to a tv store and see if i can see this home shopping coin thing just once for my own education thst is a good suggestion oreville i never thought about it like this!

but since i hate shopping in mass retail stores for any kind of non necessity consumer goods

as i never really buy anything or go to these stores at all

this will also be a first for me............lol

life is always full of surprises

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file